I Should Go - The Mass Effect Series

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Kittenly, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

they get better. also sniping in ME1 gets a hell of a lot better w/assassination, recoil dampers (i think ME1 had those??), and, well, practice ... :P and the better guns really are better. ooooh and the special ammo ...

2. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Holy fuck, I can't even hit a guy at like 90m, dudes take me out 500m away with their dinky little revolvers and I'm sitting here jerking off into the wind! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ RAGE QUIT.

3. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

It's not that hard to line up shots, it's just not doing any damage! I'm shooting dudes right in the chest and they ain't dropping. I mean, I know this stage was meant to be handled in the buggy, but the buggy is country fried horse apples, and I own a sniper, so I figured I'd just handle it on my own.

4. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

ahhhhh. yes, i do recall that being a problem. i don't recall how i dealt with it though. :/

5. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

@tinyhydra Sniping is amazing in 2. Iirc you get an opportunity to change your class when you import to the next game, so if you want, you can do something else for 1 and switch later.

I originally had the worst case of hype backlash for Mass Effect. I started 1, then switched to 2 because I kept hearing how great it was and then went back and played the series in order. Mass Effect is the only thing I've ever gotten hype backlash for and then checked out and said "yes, I see where the hype comes from it's really that good"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    • Like x 1
  6. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

Yeah combat in 1 is kind of irredeemably bad, and I love sniping. I tend to just play on casual, send my teammates out to do most of the fighting, and think about RP during battles. The power upgrades make a lot of difference. If you're playing infiltrator I think you have to build up a bunch of points before you can even unlock sniper rifles? Pain in the ass.

Are you on Noveria? I think my strategy there ended up being "hide around corner from geth, inch out to get them in zoom sights, MAKO EXPLODY, reverse back around corner before geth rockets reach me"

7. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Oh god, ME1 combat. It's just not very good. I haven't played a sniper, but from people who like to use guns (I prefer powers personally), they love sniping in ME2 and ME3. I've only really ever played a sentinel, and I love it! I've got access to both biotic and tech powers, plus a few extra nice things like Tech Armor in ME2 and Me3. Particularly in ME3 when I have the Suppressor pistol, which gives like x4 for headshots. It's also really light, so it keeps my cooldown times really short. Basically the strategy is: Chain overload to knock enemies out of cover then headshot and they drop. For bigger enemies, Warp does more damage and is good against armor, Cryo Blast slows things down and weakens armor. Tech armor just means I never die because my shields are so tough.

I'm replaying ME1 rn, and OH MY GOD I forgot how fucking STUPID the Mako is. I laugh it off my pretending that Shepard is just the worst driver ever, but goddamn. It's annoying.

8. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Team Vanguard here. I thought it was really good in ME1 and in ME2/3 with stuff like Biotic Charge and that one that empties your barriers for AoE damage and the good shotguns it just gets so much fun.
    But I got the sniper rifle unlock too for the tougher/open areas. I have to rely on the minions for tech support, but this setup works really well for my playstyle.

9. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

oh man, vanguard is one of my favourite classes to play in ME3 multiplayer. I am hardcore infiltrator in all three campaigns, but i don't like the style much for multiplayer - much prefer vanguard or sentinel. soldier in a pinch.

10. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Oh man, my first Shep was a Vanguard, and that was all sorts of fun! The last few battles in ME3, I just stowed all but my shotgun and teleported around, punching banshees and exploding in people's faces. I think there was some sort of upgrade that filled up your shields after a Biotic Charge, and another that let you blow your shield up or something, and I used that combo like a moron, jumping into a group, exploding, almost dying, then jumping again once the cooldown ended. Good times! I think I was as satisfied with the ending as I was cause I had so much fun in the preceding fights.

• Like x 1
  11. witchknights

I did it, I finished the game.

.... I am emotionally compromised and in dire need of a hug.

• Like x 4
  12. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

Listening to ME3 soundtrack.

Reaper noise = instant rage.

how dare you.

how dare you.

(*lie down* *try not to cry* *cry a lot (but angrily)*)

• Like x 1
  13. witchknights

I tried doing my Shepard on TS3!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I usually consider my ts3 versions the 'official' looks because of all the extensive modding, but I actually love her face shape and hair in the official games and am having trouble recreating it :// maybe i'll be luckier tomorrow when im not so tired

• Like x 1
  14. Kittenly

*throws out hugs and joins angry weeping on floor*

The track Leaving Earth /does/ things to me. Ugh. I just finished ME1 playthrough (Kaidan why so perf) and now I'm gonna continue my Me2 and then restart ME3 for my third full playthrough. I made a new Shepard, Lina Shepard, a while back, but halfway through talking to the counsel, I was like, I could be playing Lina, or I could just replay Grace (first Shep) again. So I'm doing that. Because it turns out there really only one Shep for me.

What ending did you choose, witchknights? (Also fuck her's amazing. I love her face.)

• Like x 1
  15. witchknights

I went for Synthesis, cried a lot, Could Not Do It To Kaidan He Was So Sad Oh My God, went back, tried Destroy, felt disgust at my own actions, Could Not Do It To The Geth And EDI, got really pissed i couldn't finish my game in a way that went with how i was playing joan, and am considering installing the happy ending mod that picks destroy but leaves the geth and edi alive (because destroying the reapers destroying all other synthetic life doesnt make sense, they all lost a week of data at most until they could be repaired and their backups go online again.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    • Like x 2
  16. Kittenly

I was actually very happy that there was no happy ending. I don't think it would have felt right.

In the end, I went with Control, but it's subject to a lot of headcanoning/fridge-logicing. Basically, Destroy was Not an Option because she spent the entire fucking game making peace with synthetics and proving that they and organics could co-habitate. Synthesis was Not an Option, because like with destroy, she knows that the only reason they got this far was because of strength through diversity. And she couldn't take that away. So that left her with Control, the option that scared and disgusted her most on a personal level. She went into that final battle with the expectation that she wouldn't come out. Despite how much she loved everyone on the Normandy, she needed it to be done. But Shepard has never shied away from the hard path, and so she took control. The headcanoning/fridge-logicing comes from that Shepard's whole life at this point was devoted to destroying the Reapers, so that's what she did the moment she gained full control.

So that leaves her a semi-godlike being who just destroyed all its own mind network. And the Ascension/joining to the Reaper minds and then destroying them leaves her a liiiiiitle cracked. Yes I have a lot of post-game plot bunnies. Of which Shepard is actually the first major antagonist and needs all the cool down hugs, "I know you're in there somewhere" speeches, and power of love/friendship moments to bring her back from woobie, destroyer of worlds to just sort of not all there Space Being who's mostly just Shepard.

• Like x 3
  17. witchknights

I'm a sucker for sad stories with happy endings, so it is pretty hard for me to like that I can't do much of a real happy ending even if I worked really hard for it. It closes the wound, yknow?

control was not an option because I find immortality really fucking horrifying and with the way I was playing her it just didn't feel right. And with all that happened, all that the reapers and the collectors and her death and the trauma from waking up again and with seeing the earth like that, all the death and stuff... She's just tired and angry and sad and anxious and wants to do good and rest, yknow? Control feels more "I want to continue the Good Work" than "please just let me sleep for five minutes and tell me things are going to be okay". Her plans for the future include, like, a fishing farm in some nice colony and 4 dogs and a couple kids if kaidan is ok with that and twice weekly visits to a fucking good shrink

So it left me with synthesis and destroy, and I really can't pick what I'm considering canon because lien yours she spent too long proving that organic and synthetic can cohexist, but she is pretty fucking done with the reapers and wants them dead.

And I also subscribe a little to the indoctrination theory, so, like, synthesis sounds like a pretty bad idea because it's what Saren wanted

• Like x 1
  18. Kittenly

@witchknights I get you. Earn your happy ending is usually my preferred sort of ending. But for some reason it just doesn't seem right for my ME playthrough. That being said, I'm not sure what happens in the long run in my extended universe. She and Kaidan do continue to have a mostly happy relationship, I'm just not exactly sure how that works out rn. Dealing with basic questions like: is Shepard corporeal?

I hated Control for all the reasons you said, and for some reason that's what makes it the perfect ending for Grace. Also, I don't think my Shep could have ever gone back to civilian life. She was too broken. Sorta like Frodo at the end of LotR, except less mopey. I also have a hard time seeing characters like Garrus going back. In my EU, he takes a Spectre position and he and Kaidan work together on Spectre business, trying to figure out how to bring civilization with its ravaged population back from a military government and mindset to a civilian government.

As for synthesis vs destroy. My reasoning is that synthesis can be a happy ending. Shepard succeeds and finally gets the rest she deserves, and chooses the only option that is really guaranteed to work in the long term. You get access to the universe's history, and you've made everlasting peace a real possibility. I dislike people making destroy into the happy ending, but that is my preference, and I'm not going to judge anyone who makes it into one, as long as they don't try to use their happy-fied ending to prove how my ending is "wrong" or "worse".

As for indoctrination theory, it's certainly interesting, and I might use that reading for Lina or Hessa's ending. My ending for Shep is compliant with it, even if it's slightly less god-mode sue if its not true. But this is Shepard. If anyone deserves to be God-Mode Sue, its her :P

• Like x 2
  19. witchknights

I'm on my phone right now so I'm having trouble typing, btw. If I repeat myself that's also why

Yeah, as I said I don't really know my feelings on the right end for Joan. I picked synth at first for the reasons you mentioned, and because I felt it would be a fulfilling end for a colony kid who just wants to "do good", but I'm weak and hate to see characters dying. I'm still not over Mordin or Legion, and I just want Shepard to be happy for five minutes after all she's done. But yeah, synthesis sounds like the best option and I loved the possibilities of it and what edi said and how bright the future seems- it's really just the disintegration thing that makes me sad :| please someone upload shepards consciousness to a robot body like in that movie with the robot and the wolverine dude, I have max ems. It's a happy ending for everyone but Shepard and their LI, and why I felt so bad for going back and trying Destroy just because she survives :p

My Shepard was a colonist and I head canon her as a bit of a small town girl who was not remarkable in much beyond her biotics and was a bit of an airhead in that way teenagers are, got sent back to earth to live with her grandparents after the attack, processed her grief in what I call her "Kesha years" until she was 19 or something, and got into the military because she needed to support her grandparents and didn't have any skill or education or money to acquire either, and finds out that she's good at that and likes doing good things for other people -and then becomes a war hero before the games begin. Pretty standard stuff, but she has this sort of nostalgic view of her past in Mindoir that she wants to revisit. I don't know if she could go back, but she wants to. House with a view and all that. She craves domescitity because she didn't get much and had a pretty traumatic break from it, something like that.

But yeah, I can't see garrus going back to civilian life either, and the idea of them working together after the war is pretty cool.

And yeah, at least in mass effect I don't see any reason to argue that an ending is wrong, they all have their strengths and weaknesses and it really depends on interpretation (this is not da2, where if you think picking the Templars is the best/right choice I am judging you /joking) and arguing that one is better or worse or demeaning other people for picking differently is just a pretty good example of stupidity. especially with a happy-fied ending that you had to headcanon, and I don't even like destroy that much because a lot of stuff goes to waste. But then in synthesis the weird mindmeld is just....

As I said, still on the fence about what ending I will end up choosing as canon once I process my feelings.

• Like x 2
  20. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

anyone who's played the ME3 DLC where you help Aria take back Omega: worth getting if I like Aria and Omega and kinda want to ramble around yanking baddies and shooting them for a bit?

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice