I want to start making amulets

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by PotteryWalrus, Feb 17, 2016.

1. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

...but I don't want to offend anyone.

Wait, wait! I mean, I know that something anyone makes is always bound to offend someone, and you can't please everyone or else you'll please no-one. But what I mean is that a) is it cool that me as a respectful non-active practitioner person does this thing? (I've already made a couple of bits for my myself to boost my magic-feather stats on a long coach trip I need to make on saturday, and I feel like they're good juju.)

And also b) I don't want to shut out people who like minerals and crystals but don't believe in all that kind of stuff and find new-agey shit tiresome. Even if you don't think an amulet can help you in any way, you can still have a neat thing made of shiny to wear, right?

I'm not sure how to sell stuff in a way that makes sure I'm including both sides and not like, pissing off either of them. Any ideas out there?

2. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Well, literally every culture ever has amulets! And technically I think every person has amulets even if they don't think of those using those words. But like... a lucky ring or Bad Day Underwear or That One Really Comforting Mug? Everyone has that. You might not attribute magical meaning to it, but you attribute symbolism and in my view of magic they're pretty much the exact same thing. Giving symbolic meaning to objects is part of human nature. So there's nothing, IDK, inherently appropriative about it or anything? Just be mindful not to start throwing around religious symbols and words you don't fully understand, THAT gets icky.

And yes absolutely, people love shinies! As for selling, um... you can just not stress the mystical side too much I think? Even people who find new-agey shit tiresome won't mind a bit of "bloodstone is associated with health and healing, due to its peculiar red markings which resemble drops of blood" as long as you don't go "GET READY TO REALIGN YOUR CHAKRAS* WITH THIS MYSTICAL BLOODSTONE AMULET"

* Don't throw around words like chakras or karma, please

• Like x 3
  3. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Yeah, I'm not in the habit of throwing around religious stuff that doesn't belong to me. One of my friends - the life-long wicca I mentioned on another thread - she said it was cool as well. I just wanted to make sure, you know?

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice