Idioms, slang, memes, and weird turns of phrase

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by witchknights, May 20, 2016.

1. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

In the UK we call any ground meat mince? (And also some types of finely chopped preserved fruit - hence christmas mince pies.) Is there a difference between mince and mincemeat to canadians, then?

2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

mincemeat is the weird fruit stuff, and at least in ontario mince isnt really used to refer to anything

• Like x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

This explains SO MUCH i just thought y'all really liked meat

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
  4. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Mince just isn't used as a noun in my experience (like Everett, I'm from Ontario), and mincemeat = that chopped up preserved fruit.

• Like x 2
  5. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

oh my god my entire life i had thought you guys were making meat pies for christmas

which I was totally okay with but

ftr: no one uses mince as a noun here and I had always assumed "mincemeat" meant... meat... because we use "mince" as a verb and oh my god why are you calling that meat if it isn't meat

it's not even like it's pretending to be meat like spam or something

• Like x 10
    • Agree x 1
  6. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Because originally it was something with meat in it, mincemeat. Back in the day it was meat and fruit. Then the meat got taken out but people kept calling it that.

• Like x 3
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hey, thats pretty neat! But yeah mince means to cut food into really small pieces to me. Usually refers to meat, but could be any food

8. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

weirdly I usually see it referring to onions, which are neither fruit nor meat

• Like x 1
  9. PotteryWalrus

Can I just say I'm very entertained by the number of people I'm enlightening to the secret of christmas mince pies XDD

• Like x 2
  10. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

I definitely see Americans using 'twink' to refer to the Edeltwink defintion: i.e., specifically a character given gear/support from a higher level character.
    A secondary character of any stripe is just an 'alt'.

11. PotteryWalrus

Digging up this thread because I was looking up old threads and stumbled across it -

In british english, at least, you wouldn't call a secondary character a twink just because they were secondary - here 'twink' is used as slang for that kind of delicate-looking femme gay boy? Like I've got an online friend who calls himself 'InkyTwink', because he's slender and androgynous and gay as hell XD

I'm actually a little baffled that there's other meanings, but I guess it makes sense. Kinda like when ATLA first came out in the UK it had to be renamed 'Legend of Aang' because 'bender' is a crude slang term for queer folk XD (Coming from 'bent' being the opposite of 'straight' XD)

• Like x 2
  12. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Slang i heard as a smol in eastern ontario and now as an twentysomething in "northern" ontario: to chirp someone is to make fun of them. When i was in like grade 7 it was synonymous with joshing i think? I was mostly surprised that people said it here because i hadnt heard it for years

13. BunjyWunjy

BunjyWunjy Frabjous

I have a strange tendency to say 'no worries' instead of 'no problem' and I don't know why. isn't that an Australian thing?

• Like x 1
  14. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I don't know but I was raised entirely in the U.S. and I use "no worries" interchangeably with "no problem".

• Like x 1
  15. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Weirdly (or not that weirdly given the number of Canadians in the NHL really) I hear this all the time in interviews with hockey players.

• Informative x 1
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

As a teen I heard "twinky" as a noun for Popular Girls(TM) on certain websites.

17. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

Where else is "hot" is a synonym for "stolen and identifiable"? I've heard that quite a few times in my life but I never really knew how widespread its usage was.

Like, for example, "Don't do anything with motor for a while, it's hot as a firecracker." Meaning, "That motor was stolen from a vehicle (or possibly taken from a stolen vehicle) so don't try to sell it because people will recognize it."

• Agree x 1
  18. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

SC and I hear that a lot.

19. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I have heard that in WA, NY, and IL. I know I've heard it on TV and such, which may have helped it spread if it was more regional in the past?

20. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I've heard it mostly on TV, especially Law & Order.

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice