Idrilhadhafang's Deleted Scenes

Discussion in 'Your Bijou Blogette' started by idrilhadhafang, May 3, 2024.

1. (If you're wondering why I'm calling this thread that, it's because when I was working with a tutor on my various papers for school, we called stuff that unfortunately didn't make it into any of the drafts "deleted scenes", basically sort of stuff that was a case of "God, this is gold, but unfortunately, I can't keep it." I might have told Tez about it too when we were doing the masterpost of what happened with the WPARG co-write, of course)

I guess given the personal thread thing? Anything goes.

• Like x 3
  2. You know, given that I have to write something that isn't Chel-related (trust me, I'm as happy to do it as you are), one of the upsides of working at a library as a volunteer is that you get to check out really interesting books. One of the downsides of working at a library is that you see books where it's like "What the fuck is this shit?"

Basically, the book I had to put away today was about censorship in the media. And it was...well, it definitely had a lot of promise, delving into censorship from the right vs. censorship from the left, but the problem was that it seemed built on strawman arguments, stuff like the idea that censors on the left didn't want anything involving male main characters. To be fair, I don't really know when the book was written, so maybe there was something that I was missing back then (or even now, for that matter) and there have been weird attempts at censorship before, I'm sure; hell, some parts of the book did have parts where it was like "Okay, that's a stupid thing to censor at best and at worst, it's racist", but it just felt like I'd walked into a whole parallel universe populated by strawmen. I mean, I don't doubt that there have been weird instances where this stuff has occurred, but I really doubt that it's as prevalent as the book made it out to be.

I mean, I'd love to read stuff about censorship and the history of it, but it really feels like at the library, I'm not finding the good stuff. Unfortunately, the only good stuff I can actually find about it is on the Internet. I should say that there is good stuff at the library; I just wish I could find books on censorship that weren't like walking into a parallel dimension populated by strawmen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice