"I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me" - The Mountain Goats Thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by rigorist, Jun 15, 2015.

1. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

You're not listening to the Mountain Goats? Why not?

2. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

Oh man I love No Children, I found it through Moral Orel and it's now one of two songs I actually payed money for on my phone so I can listen to it on repeat whenever I want. It's so dark!

• Like x 1
  3. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I am listening to Autoclave right now. For the 112th time, according to my computer.

4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Oh, fuck yeah, I love The Mountain Goats! In fact, No Children (and Tallahassee as a whole) may well have inspired a fic I'm working on. (It's Damara/Sollux. Yeah.)

Also, the thread title is such a great quote. I'm considering getting it as a tattoo.

5. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Gotta admit I'm having a hard time getting into "Beat the Champ".

6. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

7. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

(like seriously, name me an album better than "All Hail West Texas" and we will have a fight)

• Like x 1
  8. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I have heard a few of their songs and quite enjoyed them (No Children, This Year, Up The Wolves, specifically). Any recommendations on what to listen to next?

Also I have had a fic inspired by Up The Wolves brewing in my head for a bit now (it involves pirate radio/underground antiCrocker resistance stationers John and Jade. We're gonna commandeer the local airwaves was the specific line, hehe.)

• Like x 1
  9. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

Didn't they do "Lovecraft in Brooklyn"?

10. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

For the lo-fi years, probably "The Coroners Gambit". For the Mountain Goats as a studio band, "Heretic Pride".

11. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Yup.

• Like x 1
  12. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

John Henry by They Might Be Giants. But that's okay, it's kind of impossible to top TMBG at anything, and fuck, I need to make a TMBG thread.

13. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

This Year was basically my themesong for Junior to Senior year of College. Like. It literally helped me manage to scrape by a bit more.
    (Scrape by she says, as if she hadn't graduated with a decent GPA despite the whole dysthimia thing, but it definitely was scraping at the end there).

I don't listen to the Mountain Goats regularly, I have to save up for my next set of album buying, but I've really enjoyed the song about the best metal band or song. Something about this makes me feel like I'm getting to drink some confidence of sorts.

14. NumiTuziNeru

NumiTuziNeru @#$%?

!!! MOUNTAIN GOATS !!

man I've been mildly obsessed with them recently. them and the Decemberists. I guess I just have a thing for poetic/narrative lyrics or something.
    and my personal favourites (at the moment) are The House That Dripped Blood and Psalms 40:2 (or. just that whole album to be honest)

('lord send me a mechanic if I'm not beyond repair' gives me chills tbh)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  15. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

I think I've heard a couple of their songs and they didn't quite click for me, but I don't remember much about them. What kind of music do they do?

16. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

American music!

Do you like American music? I like American music.

(OK, so that's the Violent Femmes, but TMG kinda reminds me of the Femmes)

17. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

YES. I think "Spent Gladiator 2" and "Harlem Roulette" are super underrated, and I love "Werewolf Gimmick" off the new album. And of course "This Year," "Up the Wolves," "Autoclave," "No Children" -- they're the well-known tracks for a reason.

18. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

There's something weirdly lovely about the song Heretic Pride.

19. SpruceZeus

SpruceZeus 2 spoopy 2 live, 2 creppy 2 die

deuteronomy 2:10 is probably my fave mountain goats tune

"i have no fear of anyone / i'm dumb and wild and free / i am a flightless bird / And there'll be no more after me" always just... *clenches fist* gets me

ugh and the whole verse about the golden toad. rip me.

heretic pride the album is just really good overall as well. still need to listen to his newest stuff a bit more indepth

• Like x 1
  20. blue

blue hightown funk you up

FUCK YEAH MOUNTAIN GOATS

(settles into thread)

"get lonely" is my favorite album right now, but i love a bunch of the songs from "tallahassee" too. and.. from most of the other albums.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice