In which derpy isn't a fashion designer (but is designing a fashion line)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Derpyteacakes, Mar 17, 2017.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'm not in plus sizes but I'm on the tall side and Very Boobs, and the sack problem is so real. And shirts with patterns or designs will often have them stretch or distort in the bust section, or crack if they're printed in a way where that's a possibility (e.g. my Aranea shirt is kind of a mess, because it's already too small and it gets stretched even more, so there's little crack lines all through the middle-top part of the Scorpio sign). I also have a lot of problems with shirts riding up, especially if I buy on the small side to try to mitigate the sack problem.

• Like x 1
  2. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Fat is soft; when we're standing, it sags a bit. Qhen we're sitting, because of changes in posture and because the legs 'push' the tummy upwards, it ends a bit compacted, so things like high waist pants that are ok when gravity is helping end up a bit tight; i always have to open the top button of a pair of high waist jeans when i'm sitting because it gets a bit too tight.

it's like a water balloon - when you're holding it freely, it gets longer, but if you put a hand under it or on a table or whatever it gets wider, because the contents have to go somewhere.

• Like x 2
  3. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

maybe some elastic paneling at the waist would help? but idk. also, it'd feel terrible bc elastic + spd = no

4. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Most of my shorts and jeans end up digging into my stomach when I sit, or at least pulling tight enough that I muffin-top and end up with indent-marks later. I can't even undo a button, because my biggest offender with this tends to be summer shorts, which often only have the one button - and if that's undone, then the zipper's going to pull open.

• Like x 1
  5. Derpyteacakes

Derpyteacakes Thread Hermit

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: so you inspired me to design a few things for myself haha

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: made a model of my body type and everything

Derpyfishnoms: :0

Derpyfishnoms: wow acey

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: :0

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: but yeah, the complaints about plus-size fashion issues inspired me a lot

Derpyfishnoms: I have a bunch of ideas

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: do tell!

Derpyfishnoms: actually...

Derpyfishnoms: hmm

Derpyfishnoms: would you like to help?

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: sure! it could be a lot of fun :D

Derpyfishnoms: ok so there was a lot of talk about adding stretchy panels and such

Derpyfishnoms: and it got me thinking

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: yeah?

Derpyfishnoms: when I worked at a coffee shop I had this one work shirt

Derpyfishnoms: the front was the normal button up cotton

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: yeah?

Derpyfishnoms: but the arms and back were a stretchy knit

Derpyfishnoms: so when they talked about spd and most elastics being gross it got me thinking about alternatives

Derpyfishnoms: so I dragged the shirt out of my closet and looked at it

Derpyfishnoms: and realized why it was such a great shirt

Derpyfishnoms: and I think I can apply it to other clothes

Derpyfishnoms: so the knit on the shirt was a very fine gauge, and the color was the same as the coton

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: ooh, good thinks!

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: and yeah, stretchy knits work well for things like that and i think they'd look better too

Derpyfishnoms: so it was even hard to tall it was a different material than the cotton unless you look close!

Derpyfishnoms: yeah

Derpyfishnoms: so I looked at my fabric glossery and there are a few types that are used a lot in tops

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: relatedly, i designed a cute pair of shorts for myself, and i'm thinking stretch denim for those

Derpyfishnoms: and a few standard for bottoms

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: yeah!

Derpyfishnoms: :0

Derpyfishnoms: highwaisted?

Derpyfishnoms: awesome!

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: yup!

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: i've always wanted highwaisted shorts

Derpyfishnoms: but yeah I think I can add panels without them being obvious

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: i'll probably find a high-waisted shorts pattern and modify it

Derpyfishnoms: they might even make the clothes look better!

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: that would rock!!

Derpyfishnoms: then I had another idea!

Derpyfishnoms: a bunch of people on kintsugi are crafty

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: ye!

Derpyfishnoms: so they might know how to use sewing patterns

Derpyfishnoms: so I thought

Derpyfishnoms: theres almost no plus sized sewing patterns

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: i know how to use patterns!

Derpyfishnoms: why don't I make some?

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: good plan omg!

Derpyfishnoms: and I can write up a guide on how to tweak the patterns so they fit everyone perfect!

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: yeah!! :D

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: i would so make some of those :3

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: once i get an Income i'm gonna do SO MUCH SEWING

Derpyfishnoms: and since they could make the clothes themselves they could choose the colors and pattern in the fabric and everything!

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: yes!!

Derpyfishnoms: but then I realized I needed more info

Derpyfishnoms: like just how big the patterns should be

Derpyfishnoms: and I need measurments for slopers

Derpyfishnoms: and a bunch of other stuff

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: idk about those, alas

Derpyfishnoms: plus more info on what styles people wants and

Derpyfishnoms: I cant find and silhouettes for drafting plus sized designs

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: D:

Derpyfishnoms: all I can find are "slightly chubby"

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: hmm, what do the non-plus-size ones look like?

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: because i could try a few

Derpyfishnoms: hmm

Derpyfishnoms: one sec

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: k!

Derpyfishnoms: heres one example

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: ooh, i could prolly work with modifying those

Derpyfishnoms: to be honest having the underwear there is a tad annoying and makes drawing over it a pain

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: in different shapes too

Derpyfishnoms: that's another thing too

Derpyfishnoms: body shapes

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: like

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: i'm fairly pear-shaped, but my gf is hourglass-shaped and p top-heavy, and different clothes would look flattering on me than would look flattering on her (though i'm biased and think she can pull off anything)

Derpyfishnoms: theres really ony silhouettes for 'boy' shape but theres also hourglass and apple and pear and inverted triangle handand

Derpyfishnoms: and of course different body types look better in different fits and such

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: exactly

Derpyfishnoms: but theres literally no material I can find for the plus sized variants!

Derpyfishnoms: i can find some misc for average weight for the different bodytypes but

Derpyfishnoms: plus size has nothing

Derpyfishnoms: and its upsetting

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: D:

Derpyfishnoms: but the thing is

Derpyfishnoms: if i had a reference

Derpyfishnoms: i could make those variants

Derpyfishnoms: id just need accurate measurments from people with those body types

Derpyfishnoms: plus a silhouette of their figure to do designing and drafting

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: yeah

Derpyfishnoms: but i don't know that many people

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: i could get measurements of myself and do a figure silhouette, if that helps

Derpyfishnoms: definitely!

Derpyfishnoms: i feel odd asking the peeps on kintsugi for pics and measurements -_-;

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: it might be worth asking if anyone would be down!

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: if they don't have issues with it, it's no big deal to ask imo

Derpyfishnoms: oh

Derpyfishnoms: you think so?

Derpyfishnoms: hey can i post this talk on the thread?

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: yeah, i think so! like, explain what you're trying to do, ask if anyone would be okay with measurements/silhouettes, and say that if anyone would like to give them they can pm you (since privacy might be a worry for some)

acey "purble screm" damaramegido: go ahead c:

So what do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    • Like x 4
  6. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I'm ok with giving my measurements! which do you need? (this might take a bit tho because I don't have anyone to help me take them atm)

• Like x 1
  7. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I know I said it in the chat, but I'm down to give measurements, and I can do a body outline thing if you want!

8. turtleDove

I'm up for giving measurements! What-all do you need?

9. thegrimsqueaker

10. Derpyteacakes

o-0 i wasnt expecting this many people

okok i need a few days to make a battle plan

please be patient!

• Like x 2
  11. Derpyteacakes

Hi guys,

I’ve been busy organizing everything. Thanks for waiting!

First, heres a guide on how to take your measurements. I have to stress how important it is that they be accurate, because if they aren’t things will go bad quick. If possible have someone take your measurments for you!

What you’ll need:

-a seamstress measuring tape (the flexible kind that you can find in any craft store please do not use carpenters measures)

-enough ¼ inch elastic to tie around your waist

-someone to help!

What to do:

stand feet parallel, about 4 inches apart. You should be looking straight ahead and standing normally. Stay as still as possible. Please wear thin clothing or be in your underwear, thick clothes like sweaters and jeans with mess up the numbers.

Tie the elastic around your waist, which by industry standard is ¼ inch above your belly button (this might not be the narrowest area but thats not what we’re after rn)make sure its at the same height all around your body! the elastic should not be super tight. Keep the elastic there, while you measure, make sure it hasnt moved. Always measure from the bottom edge of the elastic! The waist is the anchor point and is very important! Also when measuring arms, legs, and chest; measure both sides and record the largest number.

The first number we need is the waist, hold the measuring tape so its covering the elastic. DO NOT ADD ANY ‘WIGGLE ROOM’ hold the tape taut so its touching your body but not squishing you.

Next is your neck: start with the end of the tape in the little dip in your collarbone, flip the tape around the base of your neck (like a choker) and end where you started

shoulder: base of neck to end of your collarbone (up from your pit)

front length: dip in collarbone to bottom of the waist elastic

back length: base of neck (theres a little vertebra that sticks out a bit) to bottom of waist elastic

cross front: pit crease to pit crease

cross back: same (these require natural potsure, also hold the measuringtape straight, dont try wrapping it around boobs or anything)

figure length: dip in collarbone to nibble (record biggest side)

figure breadth: nipple to nipple

side: put a ruler under your arm (no hiking your shoulder up!) use the ruler as an anchor to measure from your pit to the bottom edge of the waist elastic

arm hole circumference: around arm, under pit, meeting at end of collarbone at shoulder

bust: the largest part of your bust

underbust: right under you boobs (or equivalent if you’re a guy)

lowered waist: 2 inches down from your waist

empire waist: take a deep breath and measure 3 inches up from your waist

high hip: this one is 4 ½ inches down from your waist

low hip: 8 ½ inches down from your waist

waist to floor: hold tape tight

inseam: crotch to floor

“U” measurement/crotch length: waistline to waistline, throught the legs. Hold the tape tight.

Knee depth: waist to middle of knee (down the front) its where the knee crease is

around the knee: bend the legg a little for this one

around thigh: 8 inches up from the knee measurements

around calf: 5 inches down from the middle of the knee

next I need you to measure and describe the length (or length range) that you wear the following:

pant/trousers:

shorts

capri

pedal pusher

skirts:

above the knee

knee length

below the knee (usually 25-27 inches)

ankle length (usually floor -3)

ill also need your height in feet and inches, your gender (or the gender of clothes you wear), and if you still dont feel violated, your weight in pounds. -_-; im so sorry guys

yay im done talking about measures! :D

Id like a detailed desctription of a complete outfits youd love! This counts shirt, shoes, socks, pants, skirts, dresses, bags, scarves, or any other accessories or outer wear...literally everything, in creepy detail.

Then tell me what you need to wear at work; I may as well make some work clothes too while I at it hehe.

Theres prrobably some other things I needed but my brain is running out of juice for tonight

wait no I remember

does anyone want to see me stream working on the things? I have a twitch

also if you dont want to public post your info privatly send them on kintsugi or skype

also I just remembered that I am very broke and was wondering about if I should get a patreon ‘cause several people have said I need one

ok thats it I think I broke my brain ive been doing mock up slpoers and sketches for 3 days and I has no spoonssorry

ill be ok in a few doays xx.x

send questioons if you have any ill get to them eventualy

edit: https://augustfashion.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/body-type-image.jpg

tell me which one also

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    • Like x 3
  12. turtleDove

I absolutely would like to watch you streaming stuff. The only thing I might have issue with is "wait, where the fuck even is my waist", because I've sorta never quite been able to figure that one out? I know where my hip is, and I sorta use my bellybutton as a guide for where my waist should fall, which puts it not very far from where my hips start. I may just be short-waisted, idk, and it's not a major issue if I am. I'm just confuse about where the heck I'm supposed to be looking to find my waist measurements, and I want to be able to give you the most accurate ones I can.

13. turtleDove

Wait, I just re-read through the measurement guides you gave, and you already answered my question there. Sorry! (If industry standard is "a quarter-inch above the belly button" then I've actually been hitting pretty close to where my waist should be, then. That's neat to know.)

14. Derpyteacakes

-pokes to see if people are still alive-

15. thegrimsqueaker

barely, but yes. still need to do the measurements thing

16. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Waist: 47"
    Neck: 18.5"
    Shoulder from middle of spine to edge of collarbone: 9"
    front length: 18.5"
    back length: 16"
    cross front: 19"
    cross back: 18.5"
    figure length: 10" (braless because it's warm and I am dying)
    figure breadth: 9.5"
    side: 10.5"
    arm hole circumference: 22"
    bust: 54"
    underbust: 45"
    lowered waist: 52"
    empire waist: 47"
    high hip: 56"
    low hip: 49"
    waist to floor: 36"
    inseam: 32.5"
    “U” measurement/crotch length: 31.5"
    Knee depth: 17"
    around the knee: 20"
    around thigh: 29"
    around calf: 20.5"

and I'm 5'9" and AFAB

17. turtleDove

Still need to do measurements; I keep getting derailed by things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice