Insolent Children Punch Ghosts Real Hard: Paranatural

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Mala, Mar 28, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

face.png
    I have no idea what this expression is, but it sure is expressive.

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
  2. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

heeheehawhoo his face looks like a penis heehoohaw

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

Did you mean: Paranatural?

• Agree x 5
    • Winner x 2
  4. TheSeer

You know, school stories often give me this sympathetic/cathartic feeling of the fundamental awkwardness of life. But usually it's the *kids* being awkward...

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
  5. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

ISAAC....... this is a very upsetting storyline

• Agree x 5
  6. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

yeah but... super relatable too

• Agree x 4
  7. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Dang it comic I already had a panel as my phone background, stop making more relatable content that makes it harder to pick one

• Like x 3
  8. TheSeer

If I'm reading that second short comic right, it's... super sad?

Max goes through an ordinary boring day, comes home and relaxes. Then he sees Boss Leader, realizes it was all a dream, and starts *crying*.

You can't do that to me in what's basically an omake, Paranatural. Not cool.

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. swirlingflight

....Oh man I didn't get it, now I'm sad too

• Agree x 1
  10. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

what the fuck that's tragic

• Agree x 2
  11. TheSeer

These kids are not all right.

• Agree x 3
  12. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

Damn y'all the update

The thing that I'm most feelings about is the fact that Isabel had that heartwarming conversation with an imposter, not Spender... he still hasn't managed to honestly connect with her at all. That conversation needed to happen and I felt so warm and fuzzy about it and... this poor girl, right after the loss of Eighthfold and the trouble she's had at home too :< She really deserved that moment and it was just an imposter tying to do right... he did pretty fucking well but... damn.

...and yes I'm also pretty hype about the surprise gay.

...as if Spender being queer is surprising at all, lol. And at this point I'm up for anyone talking to the 'little freaks' including Spender's weird bf if it means OH HOWDY THIS WAS SET UP TO GIVE ISAAC SOMEONE TO GET ACTUAL INFORMATION FROM WASN'T IT very good

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  13. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i wonder if Garcia knows about the ghosts n shit or if he thinks Spender's club is a secret gsa [\spoiler]

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'm kinda, "wait, I was RIGHT" because this is what I guessed the twist was going to be back when the "WHICH OF THEM IS IT" question first got posed, but I dismissed it in the ensuing time because Spender seemed to know too much about the kids.

Well, what with his habit of floating down streams in the woods, I think he's probably got SOME connection to the Spooky Stuff. :::PPP

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  15. leitstern

I came here to post some other ranting about the same thing but I love what you just said right there. 'Freaks' would be harsh phrasing in that respect but it's certainly not unusual for someone to internalize things and refer to queer folk in harsh terms when they're queer themselves. He seems like the sort. Also, that's adorable. Spender running a secret gsa for the little ones. Fuck. Cute. What did he think about Max joining the club on day 2 of being at school

What I came here to say is that reading that conversation with Isabel and Spender again is interesting... still upsetting on Isabel's side but everything I've read about Hijack's hatred of 'bullies' and him talking here about hunting down people who have caused a lot of pain... and with how he keeps calling DR. Zarei a 'friend' and showing affection for her... I think Zarei is hunting down someone who hurt her (almost certainly related to the events of 13 yrs ago), and Hijack, who cares about Zarei, has gotten very focused on finding and punishing the people who hurt her.

That's cute. Hijack, you cute.

And Zarei sure has a lot of information now... the spying part was pretty successful. No one expected him to have a ...lover?... to give him away is all.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  16. leitstern

• Winner x 6
  17. KingStarscream

IM YELLING

Both because of the twist (I was sitting there when Isabel accused the principal like 'haha yeah, okay, that would make sense but doesn't feel right??') and because like... idk, call it internalized homophobia, but even with a variety of other character having same-gender love interests, I always kind of figured that Zack would just... avoid confirm/denying any of the teachers being queer. Like, I'd come to terms with the fact that Spender was pretty probably not gay, even if I loved him a lot and dug a lot of his effeminate vibe, that was just the funny anime archetype he was fulfilling because Paranatural is a love letter to anime as much as it is a loveletter to the mystery kids genre.

So I'm both INCREDIBLY HYPE to reread the chapter and see all the bits where Hijack.... hijacked............ and also just hype to reread like, everything, just for myself, because SPENDER KISSES MEN and that's all I can think about rn.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  18. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

i'm surprised Mr Garcia doesn't call him 'Richard.'

19. KingStarscream

It may be because he's still technically talking to a student-- I knew teachers who would refer to their spouses by shared last names in front of the kids too, so they wouldn't undermine the respect/firm divide between 'teacher' and 'friendly associate' that had already been established.

Alternatively: Mr. Spender thinks his last name makes him sound cool and both of them are absurd enough to roll with that sort of logic.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  20. swirlingflight

this page sure is different in light of this

[​IMG]

• Agree x 9
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice