[Intro/Interests]

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by unknownanonymous, Feb 23, 2015.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

Haha yes.

Oh, I know that feel. I know it so well.

2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Seconded. Oh, small fandom feelings... RIP me, for rarepairs are my homeland, and none else shall know my suffering.

3. unknownanonymous

Rarepairs. I definitely do those. Mostly 'cause Norm the Genie fic is so rare that fics with any Norm the Genie pairing are thus very rare. And 'cause of small fandoms in general. XD

4. Starcrossedsky

My number one ship is a late-canon established "basically, this is canon gay" ship in an animanga fandom that had already had its primary slash decided for years, where one half of the ship was a single this-is-a-backstory-arc character.

Finding good fic of them is a treasure.

• Like x 1
  5. unknownanonymous

Quite the situation.

6. Starcrossedsky

I suffer much. Especially because said one-arc character is a male/masculine reincarnation of a woman, and so of COURSE half of the fanart is of her with the other half of my ship...

#get your heterosexuality out of my otp #they're gay they're gay they're gay #anyone canon familiar in here has probably identified the ship by now #but then again #the entire fandom already knows me as angry alma ladyshape #what do I have to lose

• Like x 1
  7. unknownanonymous

Yeah, that does sound pretty specific. Reminds me of the recent canon twist with Doctor/Master in Doctor Who, though the fandom still keeps it slashy. And it's basically consensus that Time Lords are something like nonbinary - that the Master being female now doesn't make things any less gay, that Time Lords don't even think about it the same way humans do.

8. Starcrossedsky

That is the most cheerful thing about Doc Who I've heard in a long time. You go, Docwhos.

• Like x 1
  9. unknownanonymous

:D

What have you been hearing 'bout Doc Who? Is it about Steven Moffat's sexism? Heated fandom SJW arguments?

10. Starcrossedsky

Mostly Moffat, In Every Variety. Even aside from his sexism he's apparently a really shitty writer and that makes me circle as angry as anything.

#we're all writers and would-bes so #we get mad about continuity and plot in everything

11. unknownanonymous

i am often ridiculously unable to notice or care about stuff like that being bad. like, as long as something's keeping me hooked and i have little headcanons to cover the rough spots, i just can't get very emotional about it. dunno why. i just don't do "fuck this shitty piece of entertainment!" type anger.

12. Starcrossedsky

Shrug. To each their own. I don't get "fuck this shit" mad, I get "but it could have been BETTER" mad most of the time, which lends itself naturally to fanfic.

#but then there was zestiria #that one #that one I'm always going to be buttmad about

• Like x 1
  13. unknownanonymous

Now that's a good use of anger! :D

Zestiria?

14. Starcrossedsky

The most recent game in the Tales of series. TLDR, a character who was advertised as a major part of the plot... wasn't, and we're all angry.

#I mean #especially because she's a female character #but we're really angry anyway

15. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

OH MAN I WAS SO INTO THAT. I think I even watched all of it. :o We'd have showdowns in the pool and stuff sometimes... xD Jack is great. Can't really remember which was my favorite though.

Saaaame. I only read the first book though. I just really liked Bean.

Hrm. I didn't know anything about LGBT+ stuff when I read the first book, and I never got around to reading the rest. Is it worth it to try and finish, do you think?

And, I forgot to grab a quote for this part, but wrt Bean and autism, I wonder how I'd feel rereading it... If I'm autistic, it's the over-empathy kind.

• Like x 1
  16. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Well, I don't think he talks about lgbtq+ at all in his books (it's been a while since I've read them though, and that was before I figured out that people had actual sexualities at all). But his public stance on these matters is pretty well publicized, and made me pretty bummed out when i heard.
    So I guess it's up to you if you want to give him money (unless there's a library i guess).

17. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Ah, I meant that I wouldn't have noticed his "dislike of the gay" if it was at appearent in the books.

And yeah, I probably wouldn't be giving him money if I can help it. Eh, it'll go at the bottom of my very long list of books to read. xD

18. Starcrossedsky

Buying from a used bookstore would also be a potential thing.

• Like x 1
  19. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yesss, Known Space. I have to reread that; I haven't picked up Ringworld in AGES.

• Like x 1
  20. albedo

albedo metasperg

As I recall, the Ender's Game series really doesn't get into queer stuff, at least to the point where I stopped reading. (Shadow of the Giant.) Some of the other books / series do, to a point I was uncomfortable with, for what it's worth. :\

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice