[Intro/Interests]

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by unknownanonymous, Feb 23, 2015.

1. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Really? I must have read them too young. Do you remember which ones they were? I hate giving people incorrect info. :P

#I have this habit of forcing books on people #but i never remember any issues in books #admittedly this is better than the time I got my friend with a weak stomach to watch hemlock grove #but still

2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

Forcing books on people is great. Once I got a friend to read a book because I threw it at him.

• Like x 2
  3. albedo

albedo metasperg

From what I recall, uh...
    - Basically all of Songmaster is about gratuitous gay pedophilia.
    - The Homecoming Saga (Book of Mormon IN SPACE), I believe around book 3, has a secondary character who's gay but virtuously chooses to marry a lady because that is Right And Proper.
    - Lost Boys is involves a murderous gay pedophile, as well as a non-gay pedophile.

I may be missing some, but that's the LGBT stuff I remember. It's mostly more obscure works that involve those themes, though given the writing period and also Card's politics, there's plenty of implicitly homophobic comments that would have been more accepted at the time they were written (e.g., Ender takes revenge on a bully by sending anonymous messages that imply he's gay).

• Like x 1
  4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Ah! I hadn't actually read those ones.
    I can see that, then.

5. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yeah, no worries. :)

I read them young too, and basically went through all of them. And then some of the obscure ones were creepy enough to make me look up his actual politics.

• Like x 1
  6. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

:D. Nice.

Only the first book?

Me too. Truth is, I've mostly been reading the "Of the Worlds" series of Known Space, which is basically about the Puppeteers (which give me brainweird feels and queerfeels, thus making them my faves).

When I was younger and just getting introduced to queer stuff, I was ridiculously happy about the Graituous Gay Pedophilia simply 'cause Representation! In An Actual Published Original Book! Not Just Fanfic!

7. albedo

albedo metasperg

I actually haven't picked those up yet! Man, there are so many books I want to read... Ringworld and The Man-Kzin Wars were the main ones I read, iirc. And some short stories.

I KNOW RIGHT. And then you reread and it's HIDEOUSLY CREEPY. I have had so many of these experiences.

8. unknownanonymous

They're awesome, so yeah... definitely add them to your to-read list.

And I've read the Man-Kzin Wars. Not all of them but a few.

I don't know if I found it creepy exactly, but it didn't make me happy the same way it did when I was younger. Being creeped out by that kind of stuff isn't exactly a thing I'm prone to.

9. albedo

albedo metasperg

Heh, I may be more sensitive to that than most folks. I love literary analysis, which unfortunately means I'm seeing creepy subtext everywhere because I'm overanalyzing tropes. :P

And actually, Ringworld is on my desk right now! Sooooon.

10. unknownanonymous

I'm planning on rereading Ringworld once I finish with Protector, I think. :D

11. albedo

albedo metasperg

Obviously, we need a bookclub thread. :D

(If, uh, people won't get upset by my sperging about tropes. >>; I like writing essays.)

12. unknownanonymous

A bookclub thread would be good. And sperging's good - it helps with having an interesting conversation, I think. :D

13. albedo

albedo metasperg

Heh, very reassuring. Most folks do not enjoy 'oo, look at this shiny subtext', I have found. >>;

• Like x 1
  14. unknownanonymous

You're welcome! :D

15. albedo

albedo metasperg

• Like x 3
  16. Stophelping

Stophelping Building a house out of love

Ohhhh THIS is why I got funny looks in the Bookclub thread.

17. unknownanonymous

Funny looks? :mystery:

18. Stophelping

Stophelping Building a house out of love

When I asked if anyone had read Bartimaeus.

19. unknownanonymous

Oh yeah. Then. I see.

20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Yeah. I didn't realize there were more after it or something. My memory of the book itself is spotty. There are certain scenes that stand out really well, and everything else is just fog. xD

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice