IT REALLY WAS REAL! The "I saw this so long ago I thought I hallucinated it" thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by TheMockingCrows, Jan 6, 2017.

1. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Bananas in Pajamas was weird.

• Like x 2
  2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Polkaroo was a thing that i barely remember

When i was older there was some sort of paranormal type show about a bunch of kids?? It might have been claymation or something but there was one episode that involved a monster made of chewing gum, or something about a shower? It definitely made me scared of the shower for a while

3. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Polkaroo was also Weird, and instilled in me a deep-seated belief that all stuffed toys are probably secretly alive. The paranormal type show....might be Monsters Alive? I'm honestly not sure! Mid-to-late 90s Canadian kids television was a really weird period of time, really.

4. Shwoo

Shwoo Well-Known Member

Ghostwriter had a monster made from chewing gum, but that's literally the only thing I can remember about it other than the theme song, so I don't know if it's the same thing.

I think the chewing gum monster was a character in a story the kids were writing. One of them mistyped it as "the slim monster", causing the monster onscreen to go skinny, and one of the other kids to respond "not unless he's made of sugar free gum!" I remember that because it made me laugh really hard.

5. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

For any Australian folks who might be having fuzzy memories, I was told about an old series someone might remember - the silver brumby

• Like x 2
  6. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Goddamn Tanglewreck -- if not for the fact that it is easily looked up on google and the fact that i probably still have a copy on my shelf, i would be dead certain that i conjured it up in some fever-dream haze, because that is exactly the tone and atmosphere it has, and i have yet to meet anyone else who has read it. What a weird book.

7. Shwoo

Shwoo Well-Known Member

I saw a couple of episodes of that. The theme song was pretty memorable, but I don't remember anything else about it.

• Like x 1
  8. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Not just mid-to-late-90s, in high school our French teacher used to have us watch Telefrancais.

• Like x 1
  9. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I know I didn't imagine it (not least because we watched an episode in school once) but I cannot remember what it was called. It was... set in australia i think and had kids in a lighthouse and was sort of kiddy horror, so half of me wanted to watch it and half of me was scared shitless of it. Live action. One episode involved a living foxfur scarf- the line 'I've brought the lemons for your eyes' has stayed with me all this time

• Like x 1
  10. Shwoo

Shwoo Well-Known Member

That's Round the Twist! It was a big deal in Australia in the 90s. The first two seasons were based on short stories by Paul Jennings, some of which were even more messed up than the show was.

• Like x 1
  11. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

..omfg yes. I knew the name had something to do with twisting or something but i like going 'UPSIDE DOWN?? INSIDE OUT??? UPSIDE OUT??'
    that friggin show I either loved it or it has remained in my mind for years tormenting me
    fucking
    stop feeding a scarf lemons to make it real something about that is very disturbing

• Like x 2
  12. TheMockingCrows

I admit, some of the gems that have been unearthed by this thread are fucking astounding.

• Like x 1
  13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

This Series! I remember it was good and contained SUFFERING, but could not remeber any pertinent details. (Also I remember Melissa being so very me.)

• Like x 1
  14. TheMockingCrows

I remember a children's book I was in love with as a child, but I can't find it to repurchase it someday. It had amazing like.. full on painting style art? A woman had seven children and promised to get them their favorite food from market bc they were either hungry or starving or something, I can't remember? Someone comes and steals her children away and turns them into food, and she has to sort them out because she remembers the children's favorite foods. I also think the kids were named after the days of the week? It was such a damn good book, I remember taking it out over and over in elementary school, even when I was too old for it.

(I remembered doing that with the Stinky Cheese Man, too, but this book was older.)

15. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

There is a Scott Westerfeld thread somewhere, do revive it if you'd like to talk more bc such a good series :D

• Like x 1
  16. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I will have to actually reread the books, it´s been a LONG while.

• Like x 1
  17. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Brain Lord anyone?

What about Robotrek?

18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

R&D MOTHERFUCKERS.

19. TheMockingCrows

.. SHIT I FOUND IT. idk what the fuck I was searching wrong before, I just found it! It was called "Heckedy Peg"!

• Like x 1
  20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

There's an animated series too. I don't remember that movie though. x)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice