IT REALLY WAS REAL! The "I saw this so long ago I thought I hallucinated it" thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by TheMockingCrows, Jan 6, 2017.

1. shmeed

shmeed plant me

there was this manga that was a collection of horror stories and each story had a theme of a different color

the white story had two children who got trapped in a car in winter and hallucinated monsters as they slowly froze to death

i think there was a yellow story where this fat chick was jealous of a skinny chick and killed her? foggier on that one

i have tried and failed to search for it online

2. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Does anyone else remember the Toothbrush Family? I had no idea it was so old! I'd only ever seen the 90s version, because the local video store had a tape and i watched almost anything that looked interesting.

3. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

Since @Aondeug mentioned Hydlide back in the first page:

ALSO HOLY SHIT Y'ALL READING THIS THREAD REMINDED ME THAT ENCHANTED JOURNEY WAS AN ANIMATION and I'd forgotten all about it except that 'no no, Nono, you'll never make it!' gets stuck in my head as an intrusive thought to this day and it was just 'that weird chipmunk anime' but apparently it has a NAME and it ACTUALLY EXISTED holy shit

Also does anyone fucking remember Sonic Underground because s2g everyone freaks out about SatAM but Underground was my Sonic cartoon and no one talks about it and I sort of assumed I'd just dreamt it up as a fever dream but nope, that shit totally existed.

Also maybe y'all can help me place this weird cartoon??? It was about ROLLERSKATING HEROES, like, rollerskating was their Big Thing, and they had a tagalong kid who really wanted to be part of their Rollerskating Herodom but... couldn't do that for some reason???? I think the tagalong kid was a girl but I can't remember. It was like... late 90s early 00s, I think? It bugs me so much that I can't remember anything about that cartoon.

4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I have a fucking dvd of Sonic Underground so yeah.

• Like x 1
  5. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

There are DVDs??? Shit I DEFINITELY have to get on that. Rock band vigilante AU Sonic is my favourite Sonic.

6. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Okay so. There's enough Nerds My Age Or Older here that it might not be totally hopeless to ask about this one: webcomic that I used to read c. 2005 - 2006, at which time it was updating. No idea what its name was and very little recollection of the plot. There was a short little scientist man who looked like an elf (or kinda fennec-like? huge pointy ears for sure) and a kitty girl (or foxgirl idk) and some sort of degenerative, science-y disease that at least one if not both of them was dying from?

I really wanted to see where it was going but I quit reading it due to a combination of didn't have reliable computer access at the time and also probably got lowkey triggered because medical plots do that to me.

EDIT: I went on an archive binge of affiliated links in old webcomics I also read during the time, and found out that the comic is named Haru-Sari and that my memory was correct - the characters are indeed a short elf doctor and a kitty girl, and they are indeed both dying of different, but probably somewhat related, science-y diseases. The aesthethics screams Our Collective Weeaboo Phase but from the little bit I've read so far the writing is decent.

EDIT 2: Also I am never going to find out how it ends because the webcomic has been abandoned for several years now. So, having sated yars of curiosity over "did I hallucinate the entire thing", I shall probably proceed to not read it.

EDIT 3, THE EDIT STRIKES BACK: Who am I kidding, I'm gonna binge the whole thing

EDIT 4, SON OF EDIT: This thing just screams OW THE EDGE

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    • Like x 4
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Okay so I never thought I'd imagined this. I have the questionable benefit of a pretty good memory, particularly of my childhood. I also shared a good deal of my media consumption with my sister, whose memory is party trick good. But we both had the hardest time explaining this gem from Sesame Street, which creeped the hell out of us both:

I think I get what they were going for now, and it's actually pretty cool. Those little wind up toys may seem like small potatoes but you keep taking it further and you've got robots assembling cars and eventually you're fucking launching probes into fucking space. That's neat.

But those moving dolls in the dark are creepy as all hell. And I didn't like the sparks. Not a big fan of fire. And that humanoid robot with the overactive jaw scared the shit out of me. Even as an adult it gives me uncomfortable Hellraiser vibes. Why did they make it do that.

8. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

Seconding having the sonic underground dvd. Also, i think they also have it on netflix??? Like, itll be there for a while, then they sporadically take it down and you forget about it until it shows up again on your recommended list??? Or is that a thing that only happens to me... BUT they also have some of the other sonic cartoons as well! And some of the super mario ones too

• Like x 1
  9. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

all i can think of is rocket power but they're not strictly roller skating

• Like x 2
  10. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

i keep periodically remembering and forgetting the title of the show, so while its still fresh in my mind: Truth or Scare

fuck the dead baboon scene

11. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

great now im obsessively looking for the ghost baboon episode but i cant! find it! what the fuck!

12. Shwoo

Shwoo Well-Known Member

There was a console game I remembered from after-school care in the mid-late 90s that had Pacman-like gameplay and a prehistoric theme with cavemen chasing down dinosaurs, but I could never find anything on it. I was beginning to think I was remembering wrong, but no!

I think part of the problem was that I remembered it being a SNES game, not a NES game. I think I knew the console was a Nintendo, and assumed that it was an upgrade from the Sega Master System they already had.

And while I'm here, probably the most obscure hallucination-seeming childhood thing for me was Balanel. From what I can tell, Melbourne-based company Movie Master got the rights to a bunch of Romanian animation in the late 80s or early 90s, so they dubbed it and released it on video. Balanel was a series of shorts about a dog and a cat who helped people. It had no dialogue, but that didn't stop the dub from adding some in. And everything about it just leaves me off balance. I don't know if it was because I was so young at the time or what.

The dub's too obscure to find any clips of, but here's an episode of the original. It's not one of the episodes I had, but it's got the same feel.

That cat's laugh haunts me. And all the music cues. And the whisper-in-ear animation. And the lean-forward pose they keep doing. And the run-and-screech-to-a-halt-in-surprise animation. And every character's face. But mostly the cat's laugh.

• Like x 2
  13. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

What A Cartoon brought out a -lot- of weird memories for me. because i was old enough to remember things, but not old enough to remember EVERYTHING... and a lot of shit kinda blurred together to the point of being sure i was misremembering but just.. not. no. it really was that weird.

Kitchen Casanova was one of those cartoon oneshots that came on at midnight when i was wee. so many others would probably smack me in the nostalgia bone but this one's really stuck with me. idk if it's bc of the style, or the sounds or the general feeling. but it's a strong memory.

• Like x 1
  14. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

ok, so there was this cartoon i remember from the vaguest fringes of my childhood memory. something that came on when it got dark out, that i watched by myself sitting on the floor at night. for years i wasn't sure if it was real... it was weirdly serious, about a star captain sent away into early retirement basically but not knowing it. my favourite when i was a kid was the crew member with 13 heads or w.e.. . i wasn't sure for the longest time if i'd be able to find it but, lo and behold

i watched a few eps and its actually pretty good still imo

• Like x 1
  15. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Anyone remember the name of a YA novel with a female protagonist involving magic based on math? Her special mathemagic was Fibonacci sequences, she had a friend whos magic was structured around a dancing beat and another friend who made clothes. Her grandmother was very fashionable.
    The magic downfall was that the magic followed a persons passions and the more they pursued their passion the more the magic broke their brains.

• Winner x 1
  16. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

• Informative x 2
  17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Yup! i do! Thanks a bunch!

• Like x 1
  18. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Something I only recently realized was a real thing: that show about sentient Chinese cats who did magical calligraphy with their tails.

• Winner x 1
  19. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

• Agree x 1
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I loved that book so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice