It's like improv with dice (tabletop rpgs)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Aondeug, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

So I know we have a DnD thread but we need a general rpg thread. For people who play things other than DnD. Like my personal favorite the Fate Core! I feel like we had one of these threads honestly but it's lost in the abyss so let's have a new one. Why not!

Come here. Chat about rpgs. What are you favorites. What are your least favorites. Silly stories. Wanting to get into them. Just really love Flumphs and want to worship our acid covered gods. COME HERE.

I don't have a lot of experience with these! I've only ever played a few games of a few things. And I've only just DMed for the first time last night. They are fun though. I'm most familiar with the Fate Core and most fond of it too. In particular I'm really hype for a friend of mine's rpg based off the Fate Core. Called Sutra Stories. It's like...China became misatheistic and abandoned the Mandate of Heaven and Tavatimsa was assaulted by the Asura again as always. So the two Heavens joined together to form the Celestial Bureaucracy through the marriage of the Jade Emperor to Guanyin. Everyone is a sort of god! EVERYONE. No humans. Just exciting Heaven adventures with Asian myth and religion and wuxia and shit. It's boss ok. Real boss. If you like Fate or kungfu movies or some shit I suggest giving it a look over.

please do

i want to play another game of it

• Like x 1
  2. Aondeug

I've recently started playing 5e too. I like how...simple it is? At least with the basic shit. Simplicity makes me happy ok. Rules confuse me heavily. I've played only one game of 4e that I don't recall much. I've also done 3.5 with some friends which was ok and Pathfinder. Which again was with friends and fun because it was with them. I'd...really rather not play Pathfinder again though.

I have a copy of a few of the VtM books too which...I REALLY want to do something with at some point. Even if it turns out the system is hellish or something I don't care. Vampires god dammit. Trashy. Stupid. Vampires.

3. blue

blue hightown funk you up

• Like x 2
  4. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Yes hello I am here. I'm mostly familiar with D&D3.5/Pathfinder/D&D5 but that's not all I've played.

Do you like cyberpunk shit worlds where people steal cyberlimbs from corpses and charge exorbitant prices to put them on living people?
    you're a disposable asset of whoever's paying, commiting crimes and getting fucked over by the people who hired you, with THE MAN out to catch you?
    Do you like intelligent/occasionally-malicious AI and a world in which the entire internet got crashed for a while in the attempt to stop them?
    Do you like elves and dragons and magic inexplicably coming back into a world with Earth's basic history?
    Do you like having too many books and things to even remotely keep track of?
    And
    most of all
    Do you like rolling WAY TOO MANY SIX-SIDED DICE???

Then let me tell you about Shadowrun.

Also, some of the above points are sorta optional. It's possible to work out a game of Shadowrun where you're like, economic vigilantes, or a team of private investigators who work mostly in legal channels, or even working For The Man. The above stuff is the assumed default.

I've played enough 4e to give some help with character creation, even ran a two-session game... 5e I'm still getting the hang of, and the people who are playing and invited me switched the simplified version called Anarchy anyway.

Other tabletop games I know I want to play more of, that aren't D&D: Scion, FATE, Burning Wheel, old World of Darkness, new World of Darkness, Paranoia, and Reign.

• Like x 4
  5. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

love yourself and get the 20th anniversary edition by onyx path, original VtM is Suffering in both mechanics and.... well it was written by white dudes in the early 90s for white dudes in the early 90s.

(For the record we DO have a world of darkness thread buried somewhere in the back, it's one of my Things.)

• Like x 2
  6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

let's link all the threads for various systems in this thread

• Like x 1
  7. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Hi, I will yell in this thread about Exalted and the various other games I occasionally get involved in!

• Like x 1
  8. Aondeug

Exalted I hear a lot about but I dont know much about it. I di remember reading somethinf about the Sidereels fucking with new ones and making up stories about the Loom. Which made me happy.

Also the thing said about vtm reminds me that i could just make my oen vampires. In fate. WHICH IS THE BESTEST.

• Like x 1
  9. Aondeug

Shadowrun I really like but Ive only played thebvideos games. Like with vtm. Lib jas some sort of grudge against the systems math. Pathfinder too.

10. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Dungeons: the Dragoning!
    Okay, so: setting is a mashup of D&D's Planescape and Spelljammer, Warhammer 40K, Exalted, WoD, Star Trek, Mass Effect, and probably other stuff I don't even recognize. System uses the roll-N-keep-M dice from 7th Sea/L5R, the 1-to-5 dot stats of White Wolf's Storyteller games, and the pick a job, buy its advances, pick a new job class system of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. It is *astonishingly* playable for a fan-made mashup, and honestly a lot better than many commercial RPGs I've tried.
    There are, admittedly, games I would not try to run in it. But if you want a game that generates at least one scene per session that belongs on a Dio or Judas Priest album cover, and don't mind a heavy dose of "it doesn't have to make sense, it's FUCKING AWESOME", it is worth a look.

I also have a soft spot for Cyberpunk 2020, which, for all that it is an early 90s game without the advantage of 20+ years of learning how to design playable games that we now have over it, was actually a pretty solid system for its time. Shadowrun never quite grabbed me with its mix of cyberpunk and urban fantasy; CP2020 is straight up cyberpunk.

• Like x 6
  11. Aondeug

Ah. Yeah the fantasy mixed with cyberpunk thing is what I like best about Shadowrun. While I do like straight cyberpunk I vastly prefer that it's got fantasy in it. Or everyone plays as a furry. Or it's very apparently a world where Buddhist myth is real and everything is running off that.

• Like x 5
  12. Aondeug

Like basically my girlfriend was like yo I don't know why you haven't played these things yet you can be like an elf in cyberpunk land and I was like HOLY FUCKING SHIT I CAN BE A DRUG RUNNING ELF WHO HACKS IN THEIR SPARE TIME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. She also won me over by talking about Dog a lot and shamans.

• Like x 4
  13. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

So i've been playing tabletop RPGs since i was 8 i guess. Cut my teeth on West End's original edition of Star Wars, expanded to learn Ghostbusters International, Paranoia, TMNT & Other Strangeness and Heroes Unlimited, and then arrived at D&D when i was 12.

Fudge (the predecessor of Fate) is one of my all-time favorite system designs. (as a matter of fact, i get pretty salty about Fate because there are some brilliant design decision and some that really rub me the wrong way but even moreso because i have personal salt toward Fred Hicks - but that was covered in another thread)

I've also been dabbling in designing my own games since I was 10. My very first one was a d6 dicepool game (pretty much cribbed from SW and GBI) that was my answer to not having access to D&D yet; all the character types and monster designs and magic and stuff were a hodgepodge assembled from reading the Hobbit, a number of choose your own adventure books, and playing Zelda and Final Fantasy.

I've been thinking of starting a thread to house my various designs, especially since right now i'm dabbling with two basic systems and looking at all the ways i can adapt them for different genres.

@Aondeug one of the designs i'm working on is a vampire game that is basically a FUDGE/FATE + Everway hack. Four attributes scaled 1-10 (3 ia typical, 7 is superhuman, 10 is godlike), freeform creation of vampiric powers with a mechanic that lets you buy them cheaper during character creation if using them makes you hungrier, so that after a few uses your bloodlust starts to interfere with mental and social tasks until you feed again.

(the mechanic uses Fudge dice/Fate dice but the system design is extremely rules-light, almost to the point of being a freeform RP with just some guidance for the GM, because for me that's one of the game cruch sweet spots)

Anyway, I'll keep trying to talk myself into starting that thread so i cain flesh out my designs more

• Like x 3
  14. blue

blue hightown funk you up

i haven't played a LOT of different games (d&d 1e, fate-based dresden files RPG, firebrands, the sprawl) but i've found that i'm really extremely fond of the powered by the apocalypse basic rule setup of "when you do something that fits the description of a move you have, roll 2d6 and add the relevant stat; 1-6 is a failure, 7-9 is a complicated success, 10+ is an unqualified success." mostly because the 7-9 complications are so FUN.

• Like x 2
  15. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

wod thread which you can add to the first post i guess Aon?

16. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Ahh I love tabletop but setting up groups to play is awful. Right now I'm playing in @Wiwaxia 's SBURB dnd, and my school tabletop club FINALLY started running games that aren't using pathfinder, so that's fun.

I am rather fond of apocalypse world, though I haven't had a chance to really play it yet. Though, the wiki admin of one of my favorite fandom is working on a hack for AW and that might actually get me to run something. If it's ever completed.

• Like x 1
  17. Aondeug

Yes good. Vampire settings are good. So good. Fate too. Ive never played fudge though. Judt fate and friends rpg based on the fate core. I like how...flexible it is? And narrative focused. Also happy there are no classes. Its a lot of work makibg thngs but i like that aspect about it.

• Like x 1
  18. Aondeug

Fate points make me happy too. Very happy. And the aspects. I love all the arguing over how shit works or if sonething is legit.

• Like x 1
  19. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

you can totaly play as a furry in CP2020 though, you just have to come up with the cash for the bodymods somehow :P

• Like x 1
  20. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I like superhero games. Also magical girl games, but good magical girl games can be hard to find.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice