It's not fursuiting if it's on Broadway! Or: CATS the musical thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by artistformerlyknownasdave, Feb 8, 2017.

1. dky

dky burnt toast

• Like x 5
  2. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

The 18th works for me!! LET'S DO THIS

• Like x 1
  3. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH *sick guitar riff*

4. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

The CATS movie was a childhood favorite, it was basically my gateway into being a furry. I had such a crush on Mister Mistoffelees as a tiny queer. I don't remember many of these characters' names, though... I remember Rum Tum Tugger and Macavity, and I think Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer! I remember those two having a duet about being tricksy and rambunctious, or something.

I have read exactly one CATS fanfiction that I recall. I almost never read anything that wasn't m/m slash, and I ended up reading this multi-chapter thing that was a) mostly about Misto and one of the other male cats fucking and b) unclear as to whether these were human-shaped cat-people that happened to live just like real-life feral cats, or just straight-up kittycats fuckin'.

Interestingly, the picture of Rum Tum Tugger I'm seeing on www.catsthemusical.com looks rather different than the one I remember. I remember him having a flamboyant, fluffy collar situation going on. This one's wearing a backwards baseball cap and what appear to be dropped-crotch velour leggings. I don't think I like it. The fingerless gloves can stay though, they're kinda cute.

Bonus: My sister has a grouchy, scruffy old lady cat named Grizabella.

• Like x 2
  5. artistformerlyknownasdave

@paintcat yeah, *i think that's one of the EU designs! nnnnot. my favorite

the design from the movie is the london design, and that's what broadway, london, australia, and i think japan tend to stick to! here's a pic of the current broadway rum tum tugger, tyler hanes, with grizabella :D

[​IMG]

eta i too was a little gay for misto
    eta eta i say EU designs not cause i don't think US ever did...weird...ones but because they're like touring in germany and stuff right now so it makes sense it'd be for a group that's touring now. also added some words i forgot

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    • Like x 2
  6. artistformerlyknownasdave

scratch all that, this was bugging the FUCK out of me so i poked around and!

so: the movie costumes are still called the london designs, but the 2014 london revival is where we got...that tugger, which i am posting a pic of because ohhhh my god why

[​IMG]
    i'm not sure this counts as a cat anymore :T

my guess as to why it was still on the website is what i'm gonna stick with, the tours in europe are probably still following the london revival kickoff, but i have no heckin' clue, being in the US and all.

kind of interesting, because i heard some sources say that broadway was taking some inspo from the revival but the bits i've seen seem preety faithful to the movie, albeit with new choreography

• Like x 1
  7. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

oh dear god

tugger why

• Like x 1
  8. artistformerlyknownasdave

i have bribed @dky and he's now making me a ridiculous ytp/crack vid/whatever the kids call them these days

[flaming elmo gif]

• Like x 2
  9. dky

dky burnt toast

• Like x 2
  10. artistformerlyknownasdave

YESSS YES WHAT A GLORIOUS SHITPOST I LOVE IT THANK YOU

11. artistformerlyknownasdave

went poking around for some videos of growltiger's last stand, and while i will say there were some WAAAAY higher quality videos where griddlebone isn't a neon smear and the guy recording doesn't laugh, these are my favorite because i think the other productions took themselves too seriously (and this is the one i saw). and you just can't take this song seriously

big, big warning for racism, though. think the siamese cats from lady and the tramp but super drawn out. to avoid that but still enjoy the funny junk (like mistoffelees fainting on munkustrap, alonzo, and i think mungojerrie), watch to the part in the second video where the griddlebone shows up and then cut and run

• Like x 2
  12. artistformerlyknownasdave

it's time
    hey, all! CATS stream starts in about an hour, the link is here-- textchat only, come on in and lurk or chat, whatever suits your fancy

• Like x 1
  13. artistformerlyknownasdave

• Like x 2
  14. artistformerlyknownasdave

the fabled quintuple post...

anyway! coupla things: another stream saturday the 25th, 6pm CST, lemme know if you want pinged

aaaand, here's mistoffelees singing mungojerrie and rumpleteazer from the original broadway recording! it's really good, and i wish i'd have been able to see this version, but i'm glad that mj+rt are their own characters now. :P i guess for this piece misto would narrate and control two puppets, who were really coricopat and tantomile's actors in costumes meant to look like trash cobbled together

it also has the verses cut from the movie version for time, which i always forget are a thing

• Like x 2
  15. dky

dky burnt toast

guys!!! my really good friend filthyslime over on DA made me an animated misto icon and im dying? its so cu te???

[​IMG]

• Like x 6
  16. artistformerlyknownasdave

*poses dramatically*

does anyone want to do an rp?

17. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

SCREECHES
    YES PLEASE

• Like x 1
  18. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

!!!!

• Like x 1
  19. artistformerlyknownasdave

• Like x 3
  20. dky

dky burnt toast

Cross posting here in case anyone wants to hear me scream about Pouncival

hes so fucking squishy cute - like omg hes so precious? Like whenever he smiles I die a little inside. Also from what I gathered, Skimble is kind of group dad? But he's the only adult who really interacts with Pouncival directly so maybe parent headcannon?

He also is the only boy other than Mungo with the kittens during the 'story' part of Skimble's song. Pounce also chills with Tumble and Plato primarily, and Misto is who he has a crush on and follows around. Then it's Mungojerrie, surprisingly, who he chills with next most, then the twins. He also is like, most of his friends are the girls bc he's always included in the kitten lineup, even if Tumble isn't in there - save for the girl sentric bits.

Im thinking for my shipping hes got a thing for Misto, Mungo, and maybe Tumble - but I think Tumble likes him first and he's too into Misto to notice. Also I think he's got a, 'he's popular and a lil hot' crush on Tugger - like, he doesn't really get why everyone likes him so much, but he's down for the ride. Possible Al/Pounce? But I think I like Tumble/Pounce and Mungo/Pounce more.

Pounce also is probs related to one or two of the kittens, sibs or cousins work, but I like that dynamic. It also works for more Father Skimble headcannons. Also I love how he fuckin runs off whenever he's spooked - each time aftr messing w/ Grizz, he runs and hides, and he also fuckin nopes out of anything to do with Macavity.

He is super cute around Old D too, just cuddling up to him leggies like the other kittens - so pure.
    Thats all I can think of rn - probs more screams of him later

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice