==> Jesse: Teach a class (open rp)

Discussion in 'Kintsugi In Space' started by jacktrash, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

"I've seen and done some of the slow solo forms..." Grounding and stance exercises, mostly.

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

"The drink from India is 'chai tea' -- understandable mistake. Em and Cody, yes, that's right. Soul, that's awesome, that's what we're going to be doing today. Maybe you can help the others if they have trouble. Yeah, Tai Chi is a martial art that has three branches: health, sport, and combat. The combat branch is actually really effective for self-defense, and eventually i want to teach you guys how to block and redirect attacks. The sport branch is really beautiful, you should look up some videos if you get a chance, I actually think it's more fun to watch than gymnastics. The health branch is what I'm going to get you started on today. The slow, smooth movements are a good low-impact strength builder, and have been shown to improve circulation and respiration. Uh. In people who have circulation and respiration," you add with a glance at Snitch.

"Let's begin with our stance. Feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent. Loose and springy. Just let your arms hang down for now. Keep your back straight, don't sway your back. Good... nice." You start to pace around helping people with their stances.

• Like x 1
  3. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

You got it right!!! You are way too happy about this.
    Carefully, you try to mimic the proper form. It feels a bit awkward, but not terrible.
    (note: I actually posed irl
    gonna have to take a break, going out for food)

4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

You wave surreptitiously at em and ivy, readjusting your balance in between stretches.

Your shoulder is still a little wobbly, and you make a note to adjust the joint when you get a chance.

The stance doesn't seem too strenuous, but when you try it, you feel awkward attempting loose and springy.

Tai Chi, you think, was probably not designed for robots. Still, you think you can incorporate some of the ideas into some of your recent plans for different joint designs.

• Like x 1
  5. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

Tai Chi - what you've done of it- is very much like a dance. While you're not the most graceful being in this body, it's an opportunity to focus on form and movement, being able to slow down not only your movements, but your thoughts, into a conscious meditation with your full self. It's cleansing, in a way. It brings you fully into your physical body and it is an awesome feeling.
    "If you are a person that breathes, I suggest focusing on that as well while we do this. Slow, full ones, but don't move your shoulders while you do it."

6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

You manage the stance fairly accurately, though it comes out more precariously balanced than loose and springy. You wiggle your tail until you figure out how to use it as a sort of counterweight, even of that makes you lean forwards a bit.
    Breathing, right. You remember to do that too.

7. jacktrash

You nod at Soul. "Coordinating your breathing with your movements is a big part of Tai Chi. So start being aware of your breaths."

Some of their stances are kind of wobbly, but they'll firm up with practice. Best to keep the class moving. "Good job, guys. Time to start moving. Raise your arms out in front of you, hands flat and horizontal, keep it loose, like you're the most relaxed zombie. And we're going to raise gently up as we inhale... and down as we exhale. Nice, smooth motion, like gentle waves."

((leaves this here:
    ))

• Like x 2
  8. Scheherazade

Scheherazade It's a story fractal

Scheherazade breathes out slowly as she sinks into the position, the tips of her wings drifting slightly outward as she relaxes. She makes sure to keep a good enough distance between herself and the others to avoid accidentally smacking someone with a wall of feathers.

9. mysubaccount

mysubaccount (Not) A Catboy

Calcite is disappointed he can't purr in this form. Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. This is nice.

10. emythos

You breathe a relaxed sigh out and continue. This is really nice, actually. It's a lot more calming than you thought it would be.

11. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

At this point you are also secretly pretending to be a badass waterbender. Because you can. You aim your pretend water at Jesse and let out a tiny, quiet "Splooooooshhhhhh."

• Like x 1
  12. jacktrash

You deflect Soul's imaginary water missile over your shoulder and wink.

• Like x 2
  13. jacktrash

((jesse will lead folks through as many of those stances as they can do; the last few might be a bit complex for a first session, but soul probably knows them, at least. idk how much trouble anyone will have, and i'm very curious how snitch is handling this))

• Like x 1
  14. mysubaccount

Cal can handle all of it. Getting used to new bodies and new ways of moving and being graceful in any form are things he's been practicing all his life. This is easier than learning to fly!

On the otheer hand, he's getting pretty confused about something. "I thought martial arts were about fighting?"

15. jacktrash

"Broadly, yes, but this one has been adapted into sport and health exercise as well. Would you like to see how these movements work in fighting? I'm gonna need a partner. I'll be gentle, but you're gonna fall down a lot. Volunteers?"

((leaves another video whee

))

16. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

You take a step back. You're all for participation, but getting up in front of people is Not Your Thing. At All.

17. emythos

You raise your hand.
    "I fall down a lot anyways, so a little more won't help! I mean, hurt! Unless you want someone who knows what they're doing?"

18. jacktrash

"No, that's fine, Em, I'll tell you what to do. I'll demonstrate a few techniques that could be useful if someone is trying to pick a fight. You won't do worse than bruise someone with these, and probably you'll only bruise their egos. Okay, the first position I taught you, rising and sinking -- come at me with both hands as if you're shoving, like you're starting a bar brawl."

You demonstrate it a few times, explaining what you're doing, how you're using the aggressor's movement against them -- first, while they're moving toward you, pulling to bring them off balance. Then, as they're rising from that, pushing to turn their momentum into a fall backwards. "This is how Tai Chi works in combat -- you don't oppose force with force, you capture your opponent's force and redirect it. It's gentle, but very effective. And even the meanest drunk will lose interest in fighting after you bowl them across the street four or five times in a row."

((gotta sleep now, roll on w/o me, i'll pop in when i'm free. ^_^))

• Like x 2
  19. emythos

You obey your instructions, and awkwardly shove. Giggling, you go through the motions of the demonstrations. You do end up off balance and on the ground, but really, this is a heck of a lot better than your genuine accidents. It's really fun! You kinda wish someone was taping this, even though getting (gently, you guess?) tossed around like a small sweater-wearing rag doll should probably be considered embarrassing. Shouldn't it? Eh, who cares, FUN!
    (i spelled small as smol at first. gdi)

20. mysubaccount

Ooh! Human fighting!

"Thanks, Em! And Jesse!"

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice