Job Advice

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by WolffyLuna, May 2, 2022.

1. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

I am at the stage of job searching where I'm going "help? Advice???"

So, I have two potential offers right now.

One is 12 hour day shifts, with 3 weeks in a row working and two weeks off. It will give me experience in a corner of the industry I don't already have experience in yet.

The other is also 12 hour shifts, but it's 1 week night shifts, day off, 1 week day shifts, then two weeks off. It is in a corner of the industry I already know I like.

I know from experience that I can handle 12 hour day shifts.

Which would you recommend?

2. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I haven't had any personal experience with rotating shifts like the second one, but I've heard from a friend who has that they can be absolute murder if you can't shift sleep schedules fast enough.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

The 3 weeks day, 2 weeks off one sounds better on paper, especially since it doesn't require you live on backwards time at all. It depends entirely on which you find harder, early mornings or shifting your sleep pattern regularly (a week is a very forgiving time to shift over even going from night to day, tbh). It's a good thing that the one that is more regular is the one where you would be in a new situation.

... Unless you're one of the few people who naturally lives on backwards time (like me) who find getting up early just fucking impossible in general.

Edit: oh wait I misread that. Yeah no going from night to day with just one day buffer is really fucking hard unless you've worked alternating shifts for a good long while. The long day shift one is just flatly better.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Do no under estimate the impact of working such long days for such a long time in a row.

I know for me personally it would not be pretty if I had to work 21 days in one go without any time off, and there's good reason that that is illegal in a lot of the world.

• Like x 1
  5. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

Unfortunately with entry level geology jobs right now... There's plenty, but they all have Something up with them. (Or alternatively hire someone else...)

6. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

I ended up going for the 3 weeks on 2 weeks off job. Thank you everyone for the advice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice