JUMANJI! (Open discussion)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by PotteryWalrus, Jun 9, 2017.

1. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I'll move this if it isn't the in the right place, but would anyone be down for playing Jumanji as an online RP thread? I don't mean the old IRl board game, where it was cards and stuff, but the actual game from the film of the same name.

Ideas so far -

- Play as you or your ideal self (but no superhumans, anthromorphs or otherwise people who wouldn't exist in this where and when.)

- You can be an active player, or someone who survived a previous game. Or hell, someone who just gets dragged into it, like a friend or relative or that poor police guy who got dragged into it in the film.

- We all live in the same town, and we'll all gonna have to figure out what we're doing there.

Anyone game? (And you know how flaky I am, so if I feel myself losing interest I can always edit my last post to roll a five or eight and just be stuck in the jungle for the rest of the game or until someone brings me back - with my consent XD)

Anyone game? :P

• Like x 1
  2. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

I'd love to!

3. PotteryWalrus

Great! Do you have any other ideas to add?

4. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

i'm not sure whether or not it's too late of me to say this, but it sounds interesting to me

5. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

aahh I had completely forgotten this thread existed, but I am also still interested.

6. PotteryWalrus

So, brainstorm with me, then? What are your characters? Which town should we play in? Was there a previous game and do we know about the events/the players therein? Or has the box just washed up on the shore somewhere new and we're all innocent of the kind of chaos it can bring?

7. Ipuntya

i think it would make sense for us to not understand what the box can do, because why would you play it otherwise. it's a terrifying game.

deciding on a starting town would be easier once we decide what are characters are, which first requires consensus on what kind of characters they should be (self-inserts like you said, setting-specific ocs, shitpost, etc.)

8. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

I like the "some idiots find a box and play a game, suddenly HOLY SHIT MAGIC" with either setting-specific ocs or self-inserts.

No one should know what it is before they play it, because then why would you play it???

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    • Agree x 1
  9. PotteryWalrus

Do either of you have an interesting archeology? If not, it can definitely be the 'heard the drums and found this weirdly compelling game box on the beach/river-side, buried under leaf litter in the woods... I'm definitely the kind of person who picks up weird shit on walks.

I'm also the kind of person who would take Weird Shit home and try to google it. Maybe a modern side effect of Jumanji is that the name of the game always comes up with '0 results, did you mean [wildly different thing that starts with J]' Also I would def call any friends to get them over here to help me research the fuck out of it (and nothing comes up) XDD

How about you guys? If my character finds it, I think it'd be good if one of you would up being player 1 :P

10. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Are we doing characters or self inserts? Bc if self-insert, I would probably play the game the second I found it, because it looks cool and I have pretty much no "danger do not touch" sense whatsoever.

If characters, I have a bunch of ocs who could be repurposed for this, with a wide variety of reactions.

11. Ipuntya

if we're doing self-inserts, i'm not generally the kind of person who is first to try something, but once someone decides to play, i'd quickly become player 2

12. PotteryWalrus

Iiiiiiiii'd say that OCs are allow, so long as there're of the kind of human and bugfuck enough to do this

(Sorry I'm mostly asleep, more coherent reply in the morning)

13. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Nah, if self inserts are best that's fine, and I could be player 1.

14. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

CRASHES INTO THIS THREAD
    hey can I participate

• Like x 2
  15. Ipuntya

in canon it's a 2-4 player game, which does make me wonder what we're gonna do when more people wanna join. furrylatula must've expressed at least some interest earlier in june since he liked the op, which would make 5.

are we gonna play a party edition that allows for extra players, or are subsequent people gonna have to choose between being friends trying to help the players finish the game or people trapped in jumanji?

16. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

im.......vaguely interested

may or may not actually participate bc im fairly wary of rp in general + post mod slows things down but if we're doing self inserts i have lit no impulse control and enjoy Weird Somewhat Dangerous Shit

• Informative x 1
  17. PotteryWalrus

Welll, I think the setup of the board itself allows for maybe six players total - I know that's not canon, but we can tweak it - or else we can have people who are allies or else even in the room when it's starting to be played and go 'OKAY NO I AM NOT PLAYING A GAME THAT SUMMONS GIANT SPIDERS AND MANEATING PLANTS' but still stick around to be medic or whatevers because their friends need that kind of support :P

As to ducking out, as I said in the OP it's pretty easy with this game - just roll a five or eight and get your character consigned to the jungle until you feel like playing them again XD

Who else is good with rhyming couplets, btw? I can invent a few on the fly, but it would be good if I wasn't the only one playing the game itself as a character XD

• Like x 1
  18. chaoticArbiter

hmmm okay wait question
    are we assuming everyone here knows what the game does and believes what the game does? I mean, any old players would know for sure, but new players? because I feel potential for a character who's like "pffft it's all just stupid made-up crap and I'm gonna play for funsies!" and then OH GOD IT'S REAL.
    follow-up question--old players, are they just gonna be Around and join the game right off? because if not, that definitely allows for new players to think it's just a silly game, and maybe not even realize what it actually does.

19. PotteryWalrus

No, I think ideally we're all new players and only know of the game before playing insofar as 'well I found this weird box on the beach that's somehow making war-drum noises although I can't find a speaker on it any where....'

I AM tempted to have the Alan Parish-stuck-in-the-jungle-for-X-years type, but I think it's more fun if everyone's going in blind XDD I mentioned older players and allies in OP because they can fill out the cast if we have more interest, but so far we're still within the requisite 4-6 player count, you know?

(My character will def be weirded out by the wildlife. That's NOT any know species of old world monkey, those mosquitoes are literally impossible, lions don't actually live in the jungle, is this scrub jungle, rainforest, or savannah, make up your mind, game.... XDD)

• Like x 1
  20. chaoticArbiter

my character is going to be at least a little "OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE EVER-LOVING FUCK"
    also, I'm giving them my bug phobia. FUN FOR EVERYONE!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice