kintsugi IN SPACE

Discussion in 'Kintsugi In Space' started by wes scripserat, May 8, 2015.

1. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

i got bored in math class so here have a notebook cover in which my character features prominently

Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 2.56.53 PM.png

• Like x 7
  2. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Hmm.

I wonder how big the Kintsugi colony is, and how the air is kept in (the relevant moon is, in general, airless). It could be a series of actual domes with airlocks, or some manner of giant "well, we awakened the old technology and it gave us a massive bubble to keep air in" kind of thing.

Maybe both, in case one measure fails. The exact nature of the Great Wall of Nope is, thus far, undetermined. Someone, or several someones jury-rigged a way to refuel and mystically enhance an alien device embedded in the crust of the planet, and it currently keeps the micrometeoroids and ravening hordes out, while the scarily functional planetary defenses left by the predecessors do the rest.

The main defensibility of the Kintsugi system is the "horrifying technomagic that should be dead by now but isn't", which prevents bringing in proper capital ships, or indeed anything capable of breaking through the secondary defenses, which are the citizens of Kintsugi and the Great Wall of Nope are capable of dealing with the smaller ships in lower numbers that potential enemies are capable of bringing in. It isn't fully impregnable, but it doesn't need to be to be economically disastrous to invade. Let them have their weird colony in the derelict system, and maybe buy the relics of the archaic galactic civilisation from them rather than attempting to claim it from them.

Either way, I don't think there'd be enough atmosphere for the sky to look anything other than starry.

• Like x 11
  3. Snitchanon

And as for where Snitch came from, that would be telling.

I mean, seriously, Snitch has no idea where they came from. They were found hibernating in the tunnels deep under where the settlement was built, and they claim their earliest memories are of roaming the surface of the lunar Kintsugian landscape, likely thousands of years ago. They appear to know a large and very variable amount of information about the original structures of the Kintsystem, but they can't possibly be that old, can they?

Historians are fairly sure that, since the alien empire that fused δ with its moon, there have been three more ancient, unknown, civilisations passing through the system every several million years, and the archeologists of Kintsugi are working on some more accurate numbers. Most of their works have managed to be outlasted by the seemingly impossibly sturdy works of the first builders, which still stand sentinel over the dust-shrouded plains of the moons. Beneath the soil of the jungle moon of Plenet lie massive, fractalline ridged structures, visible only through deep scans, that seem to spell out some sort of preposterously oversized map of the entire galaxy.

• Like x 8
  4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ohhh maybe I can worldbuild ramble a bit on Ivy lemme try
    So Ivy is what humans dubbed a 'Fae'. Since the fae's language never had a word for 'us-sentient-beings' as opposed to 'generally-sentient-beings' the Fae stole the word, what with entering into the fun part of deep space travel shortly after the human race.
    Fae are generally group oriented in their identity but bad at stuff like nationalism and individualism. Like they get the CONCEPT of national identity and us-vs-them thinking they just have like zero sense of boundary about joining groups and identifying by group affiliation without the rivalry parts. Like imagine a pirate war in space and one of the crews had one or more fae? Those fae might get captured, then identify as crew members of both their original ship and the ship that captured them and suddenly attempt to reconcile the crews and make them ONE BIG CREW. Fae are kinda big on harmony and getting along.
    They don't really have gender as older fae return to their homeworld and undergo a process of morphing into a tree-like-immobile shape that is the reproductively mature form of the species. The reproductively immature Fae form close social bonds with one or several others, called Clusters, that will usually become Groves upon maturity, aka poly tree reproductive tangle thing.
    Thing is, Fae society doesn't really distinguish between different sentient species so it's perfectly a ok to have non-fae in your clusters even though they are (usually) very impractical to incorporate in a grove. Good thing that fae have an estimated infancy and adolescence phase of 200 standard space time years (coincidentally (lawl) being exactly equal to earth years because fuck maths)
    Ivy came to Kintsugi because coincidence and stayed because Kite was there and CLUSTERS HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER! also Kintsugi is a nice group to be affiliated with. And they need someone to sew and mend clothes for them!!!
    (Also if you want someone very cuddly and kind of clumsy and tiny to be a romantic-platonic super close buddy, Ivy!Kintsugi is pretty unanxious about romance stuff (unlike me hurr) so the Cluster around them can be pretty sprawling probably)

• Like x 7
  5. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

See, I had a sudden revelation while playing a thing.

Most of my blatant self-inserts are demonic. (Those who read my intro in the wix thread might have a clue why.) For some reason Space!Sidhe!Laz isn't. Probably because it's a blatant combination of Aine and Ailill who I really miss playing. And now I really want an old-woodcut-style demon, all horns and goat legs and leathery wings and glowing eyes and intimidating as all hell... and be an absolute sweetheart.

And now I'm torn because Space!Sidhe!Me! is such a nice look, very purple and soft and friendly and tricksy and only a little angry, sometimes, when my core is threatened. But... super loyal defy-all-expectations ace fuckyoubus cuddle monster? And I just noticed how fucking weird it is not being a demon/demonic.

• Like x 3
  6. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

dropping in (I really gotta read this thread cover to cover again) to add a note for @Snitchanon: i did mention in the ep that the Great Wall of Nope is being strengthened by the resident wix. perhaps in the future, magic has made a resurgence, and we have discovered that practitioners happen to be able to interface to a certain degree with the ancient tech?

• Like x 2
  7. Snitchanon

Sure, following the second arcane renaissance, it's quite common to find mages on starships, although it's @Void 's people who actually run their spaceships on magic and fancy trees and whatever elves use. Probably some granola in there too.

I'd guess humans would have come to magic and science as mostly separate and not-quite-reconcilable things, but whatever the heck tore apart a star system to basically play silly buggers with a bunch of planets in various strange and impossible ways blended the scientific and the arcane in ways almost impossible to fathom.

Luckily they made their stuff more robust than most would believe possible, and made it fairly user-friendly for the sophonts arriving eons later to operate. They do occasionally ask Snitch why they know so much about the machines, because while @Lazarae is some descendant of a watchdog system or something, and you do occasionally find nonsentient versions of those wandering around, nothing like Snitch has been found at all, besides the vague galactic memory of the devouring hordes of Anons, and the strange small creatures that turned up during the podcast. What does this mean for Snitch, anons, and other creatures like them in general? Who even knows. Snitch is certainly keeping mum, and Anons in general are a little too incoherent and elusive to properly question.

• Like x 8
  8. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

granola. good god i love you, snitch.

(and i legit swear i'm gonna chime in on all this worldbuilding with more than eensy notes here and there, because everything here is just so good and i can't wait to keep playing in this world. i just kinda exploded yesterday and i'm still piecing myself back together so yeah.)

• Like x 2
  9. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Fuck I am laughing too hard at the granola comment

10. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

Soul comes from far far away or maybe possibly very close. Who knows, they exist only through sheer will anyhow. Some technology they take to quite naturally and some is a complete mystery to them. As a spiritual being Soul has magical properties but does not differentiate between magic and science.

• Like x 4
  11. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I mean technically because I was a demon, I'm sort of magic, but I was also a star so you could probably use me to power things idk

a humanoid solar power. something. i can't words right now.

• Like x 1
  12. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

One day, Kite went out from wherever it came from, and got lost in the Night Forest. The next time it came out of the Night Forest, it ended up in the great hub city of Qhor. Now, Qhor's attitude is "I'll take them all", so Kite was set up with a small flat in the labyrinthine wrinkles and corners of the city, and started interning under their head librarian. That's where the first jacks were installed in its skull.
    At that point, Kite was still trying to figure out where its people were, and since not even Qhor's library or its masses of different races had a clue, it left again, and somehow ended up on a spaceship, where it worked as an assistant helmsman. That's where more of the jacks, and an additional horn happened.
    Years passed, drifting, searching, living, but Kite never found its people - and then it realized, that that was because it had passed through the Night Forest - a phenomenon native to its home planet, where different planes of existence layer over each other, but that happened nowhere else. And also, that no one knew where its home planet was. It was on no map. Its name was in no information system. The ships it had flown with were unfindable.
    Kite realized that it was well and truly lost.
    That was not a good day. That wasn't even a good month.

Kite came to Kintsugi because it had heard whispers of a welcoming place, and because it had talked to seebs on occassion, and, when you're stuck in a strange place with no way back home, why not pick the part of the strange place that is welcoming?

Kite also has a weird key, large, old-fashioned, tarnished, that it knows has some sort of use and is connected to a place it knows, but it's not transdimensional, and so, of little use.
    it's a key to the cornerhouse

(Information about its connection to Ivy forthcoming as soon as Ivy is online to hash out details)

• Like x 5
  13. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@sicknastyspades thanks! you're right about the shirt. :D
    and all the detail and stuff is really good. and yep, the crown is very cute. and the wings! it's awesome, having all those fop influences in there!

sorry if i took a while to comment! thursday is the most stressful day of the week for me this "summer," 'cause of the course i'm taking at university.

also, @TwoBrokenMirrors, i'm kinda tempted to see my true soul, too, though yeah... i can definitely see how that wouldn't work out well.

• Like x 2
  14. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

@unknownanonymous
    Mirrors says you can join in the 'catch Mirrors and look into their eyes' game if you like, so long as you abide by the safewords. xP

• Like x 2
  15. unknownanonymous

• Like x 2
  16. Snitchanon

Ehehehehe.

• Like x 1
  17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Shapeshifting maybe?
    @Snitchanon granola. yes perfect XD
    I feel like Em just sorta showed up one day in the library, sleeping in a pile of sweaters and surrounded by mice.

• Like x 2
  18. unknownanonymous

adds this to the thread:

• Like x 2
  19. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Maybe we can feed our rogue triangle robot to them? The diamond edge saw blade just adds flavor!

• Like x 1
  20. unknownanonymous

@emythos the one robot it'd be awesome if they ate. which probably means it's the one robot that'd give them indigestion, since irony is like that (in the alanis morrisette song, anyway, haha).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice