Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Hamburger helper + an extra two cups or so of liquid (+an extra cup of water + cup of extra noodles if you want to stretch it) = pretty decent soup.

EDIT: This is for a double batch, I should note. single batches are never really enough food.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

@jacktrash my inner baker reached out and whispered 'it looks so pretty'

• Like x 1
  3. bornofthesea670

I've never thought of watering it down but that's a great idea if you're in a soup mood :D

4. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

I did the roux-based curry again and... Kind of disappointed, this time. The flavor's gone down a lot, which isn't a surprise since three of the roux blocks were from the fridge and didn't seem as fragrant as the others, but still sad. It should taste better in a few days, leaving it in the fridge to permeate the potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Next time, I'm going to try seasoning the meat with curry powder and Goya-adobo instead of just salt and pepper. And probably add more garlic and onions too, like I only added one and a half tablespoons of garlic (for about 6-8 portions of curry, so it's really not that much at all) and one onion, so maybe upping it to two onions (one to be completely diced or even grated into the garlic + oil initial fry, and one to be rough-chopped and mixed in with the rest of the veg) should help out a lot.

5. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Back when I was still on tumblr, @jacktrash posted his recipe for mushrooms, which I can't for the life of me find, so I basically winged it with how much I remember.
    What I remember: Don't let them layer in the pan, or they'll get spongy.

k5.JPG
    And oh my gods those are delicious, really tender and nice **_**

While I'm talking mushrooms, the following method I got from my dad:
    Take big shrooms, and remove the stem. Place them top down in a pan with a bit of oil, and cook/simmer/fry/???? on medium heat under the lid, until the shrooms are tender enough to slip off a fork.
    Chop the stems and some onion, and fry it afterwards with some bacon, serve together.
    Lemme tell you, that mushroom liquid that gathers in the hats is so. fucking. delicious.

k4.JPG
    This here is tofu, marinated overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame seed oil, sesame seeds, sugar, chili, and ginger. Currently frying. The recipe called for garlic, too, but I forgot to buy garlic. Whoops.

For 450g tofu I used:
    6 tbsp soy sauce
    1-ish tbsp sesame seed oil
    2 heaped tbsp sugar
    2 heaped tbsp red flakey chili stuff
    a small ginger root
    2 heaped ts sesame seeds

The recipe also called for about half of it and just fry the plain tofu and serve the sauce afterwards, but nope. Not gonna go down that route, so I doubled the measurements and made a marinade.

Also cooking rice. I've got a bottle of rice vinegar, and I put a bit in, idk if it's not enough or too muhc or ????. Will find out.

• Like x 3
  6. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I discovered last night that the "thin sliced" chicken breasts my grocery store sells are PERFECT when coated in egg, dredged in flour with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper, and pan fried. Om nom nom. Next time I'll do a whole batch at once and eat the leftovers in sandwiches.

• Like x 1
  7. bornofthesea670

An actual culinary thing is to tell people not to 'crowd the mushrooms'. Glad you were told that XD

• Like x 2
  8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

• Like x 4
  9. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I wanted sweet things but what is effort. So I made Lazy Cookies.

1 cup peanut butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    Combine with spoon, roll into balls approx 1 tsp each, place into baking sheet covered in grease proof paper 5 cm apart, flatten with fork or thumb, bake at 180/gas 4 for 12-15 mins.
    Cool before eating or they crumble everywhere and you will burn your tongue.
    If you feel fancy you could stir in some chocolate chips or stick a chocolate button on top.

• Like x 1
  10. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

I made bread today!! I used this recipe to great success!!

[​IMG]

I ate so much of this bread. There's still an entire loaf. I smell slightly of bread now even though it's been hours?? I love it so much it was crunchy and kind of spongey and buttery and made a truly stunning grilled cheese oh my god.

11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

everything is finished except for the chicken-potato casserole and the potato cakes. oog.

• Like x 2
  12. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

finished the potato cakes; they are in the freezer. will finish the chicken casserole tomorrow, as my spare time today was eaten up by an impromptu nap that was way longer than I thought it was, making soup for moirail, and homework.

• Like x 3
  13. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

Brownie in a mug suggestions? I am really wanting chocolate right now, but the only options are making chocolate things myself.

14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Try this one? In my experience, you can use an oven as well, might take longer.

15. Imoyram

thanks muchly, will try and report back. :)

• Like x 1
  16. Imoyram

can report, is good brownie

• Like x 1
  17. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

It's finally soup weather where I live, which means chicken bog time! Chicken bog, if you haven't heard of it before, is basically like a super meaty savory rice porridge thing. Like, chicken and rice soup, but cooked way, way down. It is so good, but it takes a good while to make. Most of it is hands off time, though, and it can be modified to hell and back.

You will need:
    A whole chicken
    1 yellow onion
    2-3 carrots
    Half a package of celery
    A smidgen of butter
    8 cups of water
    3 cups uncooked white rice
    A pound of smoked sausage or kielbasa
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    Some garlic, thyme, and a bay leaf if you're feeling fancy
    A stockpot

Remove the chicken organs and discard. If you've got a neckbone, keep it, it adds magical deliciousness to your broth. Peel your carrots, and chop up them, your onions, your celery, and your garlic if you're using it. On medium low, heat a little butter in the bottom of your stock pot, and saute your veggies for a few minutes. Slice your sausage into pieces about half an inch thick. Cut up your chicken so it fits in the stock pot (I quarter it, but it doesn't matter) and add it, your sausage, and the water. Salt and pepper it a bit. Bring the water to a boil, then turn it down, cover the pot, and walk away for 45 minutes to an hour.

Remove your chicken from the pot and let it cool. Remove the skin and bones and shred it up - not too fine, thick chicken chunks are awesome in this. Don't worry if your chicken isn't 100% cooked, it's going right back in the pot! Put it back in. Add your rice to the pot, along with the thyme and bay leaf if you're using them, and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat and let it simmer for another 10-15. You're done when your rice has an Irish oatmeal kind of consistency here. Remove the bay leaf and serve. Makes a ton, and is almost better left over - add a tablespoon or so of chicken broth every time it goes in the fridge and the rice will just soak it up.

Modifications!
    My mom made this with turkey a lot to use up thanksgiving leftovers, so you can eliminate cooking the chicken altogether in that case. You don't get that delicious broth you make yourself, though, so use six cups of chicken broth and two cups of water instead of just water. If you want more texture, replace one of the uncooked cups of rice with half a cup of barley. And finally, you don't actually need celery and carrots at all if you don't have them - just onion is great. It just adds a bit to your final flavor, and I like veggies. Those are just my modifications, though - it's a recipe that's pretty tolerant to change.

ETA: some people tell you to skim the fat. Don't. That's where the goodness is.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    • Like x 1
  18. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

If you add Cajun seasoning, a can of diced tomatoes and some chopped ham or a ham hock, that's basically my recipe for jambalaya :D

Edit: And chopped bell peppers, any color.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    • Like x 1
  19. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I might have to try that! I knew the two were similar, but I didn't know they were that close.

20. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Oh man, that sounds delicious! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice