Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@The Mutant: not surprised your yeast 'chunked', it's all good. it'll still do its job. poofy yeast is good and fine. unpeeled apples aren't going to kill anyone. punching bread is exactly what it sounds like (but do not try to TKO it, use less force :P). i suggest storing it in a bag, possibly in a towel. DON'T PUT IT IN ANYTHING UNTIL IT COOLS OR YOU WILL HAVE SOGGY BREAD and everyone will be sad. T_T

• Like x 2
  2. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

I made Thanksgiving! For the three of us, we decided to have Cornish game hens instead of turkey, like tiny personal chickens. Along with that we had stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, pasta salad, roasted carrots, roasted garlic chicken gravy, pumpkin pie, pudding pie, and challah bread. I made everything from scratch except the bread.

1126152344a.jpg
    1126152351.jpg
    It was so good you guys! :D

• Like x 6
  3. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Dammit, completely forgot to photograph ours!

4. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

5. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Thank you so much!

Bonus: The tiny tiny pudding pudding pies we made!

1127150156.jpg

• Like x 3
  6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

[​IMG]

i didn't get pics of it on the table, but here's some leftovers :D

@seebs' mom here is how chicken is formed:

• 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
    • buncha baby carrots
    • can of beef consomme
    • montreal steak seasoning
    • splash of olive oil
    • flour
    rub the chicken with the montreal seasoning (for those who can't get it, it's mainly sea salt and cracked black pepper, with a little granulated garlic and a tiny hint of chili pepper)*. in a big frying pan, heat the oil on medium until it's runny and shimmery, then add the chicken and brown it. it won't be cooked through, just get some browning on the outside for flavor. if it's very wet chicken, you may end up with a pan full of broth instead of brownings; just take the chicken out, reduce the juice until it becomes brownings, then put the chicken back in.

turn the heat down to low. add the consomme and half a can of water. nestle the carrots in among the chicken so they're down in the broth a bit. cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes. the time depends on how thick your chickens and carrots are; since the carrots i had were as thick as my thumb and the chicken pieces were more like chicken boulders, i gave it the full 30 and it was just right.

when it's done, take the chicken and carrots out (to a platter or whatever, they're good to go now) and turn the heat back up. mix 2-4 tablespoons of flour (depending on how thick you like your gravy) with half a cup of water, then add the hot broth by spoonfuls until the flour mixture is pretty warm, at which point add it to the pan of boiling broth and stir. this prevents lumps. another option for lump-free gravy is to turn the burner off and let the gravy cool down before adding the flour mixture, then hot it back up, but imo that takes too long. anyway, boil it at least a full minute so it thickens, stirring it p much constantly, then strain it into your gravy pouring apparatus of choice.

that's it, that's the whole biz. it took a lot of words to describe it, but it was honestly a very simple thing to do. i'm just so tired my word filter is off. :P

*edit: ok i looked it up and it apparently involves coriander and dill seed too. i am not sure how essential those are to the general flavor tho, and if you want to leave them out and just lean on the coarse salt and black pepper, it'll still be delicious.

edit again: btw linda pls don't think i believe you incapable of gravy, i just rambled about how to gravy because no filter, and also maybe someone else might not know that trick. yeeeeeah i should go to bed now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    • Like x 1
  7. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Made an awesome cherry pie and my sibling made a chocolate chili torte and we dragged em off to a potluck with a buncha other awesome food made by awesome people. It was great, and I am stuffed.

• Like x 2
  8. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

@Beldaran that looks very delicious, and I am highly jealous. :-D

• Like x 1
  9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

We don´t do thanksgiving here, but last weekend my mom had a Hannibal dinnerparty. I made dessert and designed invitations.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 2
  10. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Dear everyone, please buy taramasalata. It's so good! And surprisingly cheap!

• Like x 1
  11. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

Thank you! It was delicious chicken.
    Great company too.
    (No apology needed for gravy explanation; it wouldn't have occurred to me to take it personally, or if it did, I'd figure that if you meant it for me, you'd have sent it by email instead of sharing it with all of Kintsugi!)

• Like x 1
  12. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Peoples, any idea how i can use these little packets of wasabi i get from ordering Japanese? I thought about using it in like, a marinade with shoyu and a bit of sake or rice vinegar for fried pork, but that's all i have and i currently have more wasabi than willpower to deep-fry stuff.

13. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i can look for a recipe i have somewhere which afaik involved plum jam? gimme a second or two

14. IvyLB

OKAY, dammit that book was hidden, lmao.
    so this is from a relatively fancy cookbook, but the recipe itself isn't too hard. it's also technically an entrée rather than a main dish but it works as snack food and stuff. If you double the portion size you can technically also hav eit as a main dish.
    i'll stop rambling now.

minced meat pastries with plum wasabi dip

ingredients (entrée for four people)
    • 1 onion
    • 300g minced meat (mixed is what the recipe says but I think it could be whatever you prefer)
    • about a teaspoon of chinese 5-spice-powder
    • 1 tablespoon of soysauce
    • black pepper
    • 275g pastry dough
    • 1 egg yolk
    • 100g plum jam
    • 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Wasabipaste
    • parchment/baking paper
    instructions:
    • pre-heat oven to 200°C
    • cut onion up all small.
    • mix meat, 5-spice-powdre, soy sauce, pepper and onions.
    • unroll your pastry dough and cut it into 12 triangles
    • mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of water
    • brush the edges of the dough thinly
    • put a bit of the meat mixture in the middle of the pastry triangle
    • then fold the dough (so it makes a smaller traiangle) and press the edges firmly together.
    • put on a parchment lined baking tin
    • brush with remaining egg-yolk-water
    • put in oven for 20 minutes until golden brown
    • mix plum jam and wasabi to taste.

• Like x 3
  15. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

thank you!!! i'll see if i can find the 5-spice powder somewhere tomorrow because i think we have everything else and these pastries sound rlly yummy.

16. IvyLB

they are pretty good, the only thing is i accidentally put way too much wasabi in the first time and everything burned for a day :P

• Like x 1
  17. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

Not a recipe:

I blogger I follow posted this article about "easy" cooking in the run up to Thanksgiving, and I thought it was insightful. And it matches what I've been thinking after the past 2-3 years that I've been cooking for myself each day. Especially:
    @IvyLB I was reminded of this because of your fancy cookbook, but it's not supposed to be pointed! I promise.

18. IvyLB

fun fact: "fancy" cookbook is just because it's a collection of pre-arranged three-course-menues. it's a Lidl-cookbook, if that is familiar to anyone, aka it's supposed to be for fancy meals made cheaply and easily with stuff the store chain sells (which is relatively cheap in comparison.)
    I call it fancy but all of the recipes are relatively easy and cheap. Though i'm certainly not above spending three hours on one meal if I have a chair to sit on while cutting my veggies :P

19. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Bit of a late report- the oatbread went over great at Thanksgiving (though ofc I doubt my family would have criticized it even if they thought it was terrible '__';). I took some pictures with my dad's camera, had to wait for him to send them over before I posted this :) thanks again for all the advice you guys gave! I think I'm gonna use the second half of the ingredients today (the first recipe turned out large enough that, especially since one of my aunt/uncle pairs and one cousin ended up having to cancel, it was plenty for the night).

Attached Files:

20. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

wasabi: mix with mayo, use for deviled eggs, sauce for fried fish, tuna salad sammiches!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice