Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

Use some to fry up some quartered potatoes, a little diced onion, then add chicken stock and simmer until the potatoes are squashy. Stir in cream and cheddar cheese and TADA! 'Tato soup.

• Like x 3
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

rub a cut of meat with bacon grease, coarse salt, and cracked pepper before slow-roasting.

• Like x 3
  3. jacktrash

my favorite way to simplecook frozen chicken is to coat it with montreal steak seasoning (or any coarse salt/pepper mixture), then cook over low heat in a bit of olive oil for half an hour or so, turning once. result: peppercorn chicken with a nice browned outside, excellent for slicing thin onto pasta or salad.

• Like x 1
  4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I just made garlic, honey and lemon baked fish cause ive been feeling under the weather and it was pretty good:
    500g fish
    salt & pepper & rosemary
    enough flour to coat the fish + 1tbsp
    lemon juice to taste (i used about 5-6 tbsp and it got a lil bit too light on the lemon, i'd recommend using like. 10 tbsp)
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2tbsp olive oil
    3tbsp butter
    2 tbsp honey
    1 1/3 cup vegetable broth

I seasoned the fish with the salt and pepper and lemon juice and rosemary, and let it sit a bit while i cooked the garlic in the olive oil and butter, stirring until it was goldish brown, and added the honey. then I coated the fish fillets in the flour and fried them a bit in the garlic and honey butter, just until they were sealed basically, and transferred them to an oven dish. I combined the butter on the pan with the vegetable broth, a tablespoon of flour and the marinade sauce from the fish, swirled it a bit until it began to thicken and put the sauce in the pan with the fish, and let it bake on low until the rest of the stuff was ready. I ate it with sautéed veggies (i made some extra butter for that) and I also used a bit of spicy mango sauce because the boyfriend doesn't like salty-sweet stuff so i had to adjust the sweetness on my plate.

I'll probably do it again next time i can afford fish because it was pretty good, but i'll use more lemon and honey if i'm alone and hopefully remember to buy ginger? I heard using a bit of dry white wine would be good too but I didn't have any. I imagine it would taste good with basil too but It's onbe of the seasonings I don't have cause buying the rest of the stuff for the apartment gets priority over fresh herbs ==

• Like x 4
  5. Derpyteacakes

Derpyteacakes Thread Hermit

Make crust for savory pies with it! :D

Heres my family's (award winning :P) pie crust recipe: (makes 2 pies worth)
    3 cups flour
    1 1/2 cups crisco (0r lard etc)
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup icewater

-Cut together the flour, salt and crisco (pastry blender works best) until it's like bread crumbs, no big chunks of fat.
    -take a fork and slowly stir in small amound of the water until the dough forms (you probably wont need all the water)
    the dough should be firm, not wet, and hold in one big ball.
    -cut in half, form the halves into puck shapes and refridgerate for an hour (you can freeze the half you dont use)

roll it out to like a 1/4 inch thick, throw it a pie pan, add fillings and top crust and bake it at 400 degrees farenheit (204c) for like an hour
    (edit: be REALLY careful not to overwork the dough)
    you'll have to eyeball it depending on the fillings the time needed changes.
    (if yer gunna egg wash/milk wash do it halfway through the baking)

Pork pot pies would be good if you used bacon grease as the fat, i think

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    • Like x 2
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

breakfast for dinner, because i felt like it:

20160214_203013.jpg

turkey bacon, eggs and hot sauce, and a pancake that was supposed to be a heart for valentines but instead it was just a huge normal pancake. also orange tea <3.

• Like x 5
  7. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

WP_20160215_012.jpg

• Like x 3
  8. Shade

Shade Member

Thanks all for posting recipes. I always collect new ones since I love trying new foods. Especially liked the khao tom (which is 9 months old but it was new to me).

One of my staples when I want low effort food is pasta puttanesca. It's an Italian dish traditionally made by prostitutes. It's a salty, umami dish.
    - 1lbs spaghetti
    - 1 jar red spaghetti sauce
    - 1/2 can of sliced black olives
    - 2 tins anchovies
    - small amount of capers
    - ½ white onion, chopped
    - 3 cloves garlic, minced
    - black pepper
    Boil the pasta. Dump the sauce and the rest of the ingredients into a saucepan. Heat on medium-low until the anchovies melt and the flavors meld.

9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

so my mom bought me this today:

2111131.jpg

it's a completely caffeine free substitute for coffee! it tastes almost nothing like coffee, but if you want a dark, bitter in a good way, rounded drink to put cream and sugar in or drink by itself, this is a great substitute.

the text says:
    she also got me an herbal chai tea since regular has caffeine:

2111151.jpg

i haven't tasted it yet, but it smells great.when i drink some i'll update this with whether or not it's as good as regular chai, especially for chai lattes which is what i'm gonna use it for.

the text says:
    i have to drink caffeine free stuff because too much caffeine (too much in this case being about a cup of regular coffee -_-) gives me the jitters something awful and then stomach pain for hours. just thought i'd share these for my other caffeine free peeps!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    • Like x 2
  10. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Trivia: Roasted grain bewerage is fairly popular in Poland, since for a long time coffee was super expensive and hard to get.

• Like x 1
  11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Hey, it's a first try.
    This is not only the first time I made cinnamon rolls, but also the first time I see one IRL. I am now wondering how I could possibly have lived without these.

• Like x 4
  12. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

A while back, I asked what to do with a can of peas on the low spoons food thread. Somebody recced me putting them in couscous, which I had only eaten a couple of times before. Now I eat it all the time because I found out it goes beautifully with soy sauce! Seriously, next time you make couscous, try it with some soy sauce. Absolutely delicious.

• Like x 5
  13. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

This is pretty great!
    I especially had fun watching the spinach wilt during the cooking :D i am easily amused. But it's a really fun and easy dish that is really tasty and a reasonable portion size for four people (not always a given! Somehow foodblogs seem to assume my teenage brother magically stop eating by the truckload whenever I cook bc i sprinkled a handful of cashews on the dish. Let me tell you that doesn't work. Teenagers would eat my hair if they had to.)

14. Bricelar

Bricelar King of Apathy

A question! I just wound up with a bunch of pulp- apple pulp, bok choy pulp, beet pulp, lots of pulp from juicing things (its fun!)- I was wondering if I could do anything with it. I don't wanna just toss it, and we aren't ready for gardening season to mulch it. I was thinking maybe mix it in with muffin mixes or something? But I don't know how that would affect cooking times or anything... I'm not much of a cook. Any suggestions?

15. jacktrash

i've been looking into similar questions. apparently sweet pulp, like fruits, pumpkin, and sugar beet, make great additions to muffins, quick breads and the more substantial types of cake like carrot and spice. you can also steep them with tea.

savory pulps make excellent broth: simmer them with onions, herbs, etc for an hour or two and then strain. you won't get ultra-clear stock like you can from whole veg, the particles are too fine and will go thru cheesecloth a little bit, but apparently it's very hearty and flavorful!

16. Gumbo recipe that's been in my family for like, ever

Ingredients (in no specific measurment because as per cajun tradition, sorry I don't even measure this stuff)
    Like, a pound of chicken or something.
    sliced sausage (andouille if you can get your hands on it), a whole package
    An medium-ish onion, diced.
    Some chopped celery (like 2 or three stalks)
    a bay leaf
    parsely (just toss in a handful it won't hurt anything)
    oil and flour (or a jar of 'roux' if they have them at your supermarket, if you plan on making this often invest in some of this)
    salt, black pepper, red pepper, some tony's if you want, more red pepper
    optional: okra, gumbo file (a.k.a sassafras), green bell pepper, eggs
    Double up if you want to have a bunch to freeze because this stuff freezes very well.

step one: cook the chicken. Boil it for however long. I usually use boneless chicken breast so it takes like 20 ish minues. If you're using bone in breast then 30 minutes. Whole chicken parts are like 35-40. If you're using whole chicken parts take the chicken meat off of the bone and then toss the bones and the skin back in the pot to boil while you do other stuff.

make a roux! basically the concept is 'mix flour into hot oil until it turns goopy and brown'. There's an excellent how-to here, pretty much exactly how I do it. Only I don't add the veggies in at the end. That's optional. Just keep in mind equal parts flour and oil.

Take all the chicken bits out of the water and discard. Skim the grossness off of the top of the chicken water. Add regular water till you have a full large pot (you'll want about 8-ish cups of liquid total). Toss the chicken meat, sausage, veggies, herbs and spices in. I'm not sure on the spice levels, I just do it until it tastes ok. Bring to a boil if it's not already.
    Then toss in roux. If the four tablespoons isn't enough add more, you want it to this color.

Sit back and let it simmer for like two hours or more. Just let it go. If you want eggs in it put them in now, with the shell on. They'll hard boil and turn the color of the roux and it will taste awesome. Fish them out and peel them when it's done. Or store them away for snacks, gumbo eggs are the best snack.

Make a cup of rice. pour gumbo over rice, eat. Enjoy.

• Like x 2
  17. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

i meant to post this ages ago whoops, but here is a recipe for hodgepodge, a nova scotia veggie stew thing with cream instead of broth for a base (mmm, gotta make this again)

HODGEPODGE

ingredients:
    • 4 cups of vegetables. this is really your choice, but i recommend peas (whole or shelled), some kind of bean (ends cut off), & baby carrots (whole carrots chopped up works too, but baby carrots are better for soaking up the cream for some reason. weird, right?). i don't like beans so my ratio of veggies is usually 2 cups shelled peas & 2 cups baby carrots. it doesn't have to be super precise.
    • 4 large potatoes, or 11 small potatoes. peel these & chop them up into bite sized chunks.
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1/2 cup heavy cream
    • 1/2 cup milk
    instructions:

put the veggies, (minus the potatoes!), & milk into a pot (this makes a surprising amount, you'll probably want a big pot) & bring to a boil. reduce the heat to a low simmer, add the rest of the ingredients, simmer for 45 minutes/until potatoes are cooked. if there's not enough liquid in the pot, add cream in small amounts (this won't affect the taste of the hodgepodge but it will keep your vegetables from burning, you'll just have a bit more broth in the end. that's ok! it soaks into the carrots & potatoes when you have leftovers). the hodgepodge will be very hot once you take it off the stove, but it is now ready to eat! add salt & pepper as you want, & enjoy your n.s. food.

i forgot to take pics of the hodgepodge i made but i will come back & add them when i make it again
    i was so tempted to make a lobster joke at the end but look ma! i resisted!

• Like x 5
  18. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Today's baking project: millionaire's shortbread.
    Starting with boiling the shit out of a tin of condensed milk.

• Like x 1
  19. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

The caramel had to be rescued with the help of the stick blender. Thank God I attempted this at my parents' place, my mum knows this stuff better than I do XD

• Like x 1
  20. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I made Nikujaga today!
    @IvyLB and I agree it was delicious.

Going off this recipe here, but I made some adjustments of my own:
    • 250g gojouned beef
    • 4 potatos, cut in bitesized chunks
    • 1 paprika, cut in bitesized chunks
    • 1/2 cup lentils
    • 750 ml water
    • 3 teaspoons powdered vegetable broth
    • enough sesame seed oil to cover the bottom of the pot (or really any good cooking oil, but sesame seed oil is the best for asian dishes) (I NEED TO BUY MORE SESAME SEED OIL IM ALMOST OUT AAAAAH)
    • soy sauce, fish sauce to taste
    So it's pretty easy, and turned out extremely delicious, especially since 50% of this is me bullshitting around.
    • gojoun meat if necessary, toss pieces into hot pot on medium heat. if you're browning the meat on high heat, lower to medium when you add the vegetables
    • when meat is browned, add whatever cut vegetables you've got there. potatos are a must for it to be nikujaga (jaga from jagaimo, potato), but apart from that, go nuts. i personally dislike carrots and soup vegetables and a lot of things, so I just added what I liked (lentils, paprika) (and i forgot about the broccoli ive got in the freezer, that's gonna be in the next batch)
    • add water, powdered broth (or fancy premade broth if you're using that), and add soy sauce to taste. i also added a dash of fish sauce.
    • put a lid on it and let cook for one half to three quarters of an hour
    try not to burn your tongue when you try to eat it fresh out of the pot.
    (because guess what i almost did)

tomorrow i'm going to toss in the rest of my potatos, broccoli, probably also some garlic, definitely another paprika and lentils in with the meat.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice