Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Some nights are "cook respectable food with vegetables and shit in it" nights and some nights... some nights are "get a 4-for-a-buck bolillo roll and turn that shit into cheddar bacon ranch pullapart bread."

You need:
    1 bolillo roll (in these parts they tend to live in a bin in the bakery department, sometimes they're pre-bagged, but if you don't have bolillos where you live any nice crusty sub roll-sized bread will work fine)
    Couple tablespoons of butter
    Couple teaspoons of ranch dressing mix
    Sliced or shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    Bacon

Melt your butter and mix in the ranch dressing mix, set that aside.

Take your bread and cut it as if you're slicing it, but don't go quite all the way through. Turn your bread 90 degrees and slice again, again not quite all the way through, so what you end up with is bread cubes still attached to the bottom crust.

Poke cheese into the spaces between the cubes. Poke bacon into the spaces between the cubes. Pour the melted ranch butter on top, so it goes into the cracks.

Put the stuffed bread on a cookie sheet and broil it at 400 or so until the cheese melts. This took about 5 minutes in my toaster oven, YMMV. Eat it with pasta or soup or salad or just by its lonesome.

• Like x 3
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

@BPD anon since you couldn't come by after all, so i cannot feed you soup, i will instead give you the RECIPE for the soup!

vegan potato soup:

• about 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 1-2 tbsp crushed garlic (NOT DRIED, but the jar/tube kind is ok)
    • a sprig of fresh basil (dried won't ruin it, but it's really worth getting fresh if you can)
    • 2 knorr vegetable boullion cubes (yes i'm specifying a brand, because this one is def vegan, and also super good)
    • 6 cups water
    • 6-8 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
    • black pepper
    • sea salt (this is one of the few recipes where you can taste the difference, but if you can't get sea salt regular is ok)
    start by cooking the garlic in the olive oil over low heat until it's starting to brown a little. you want to go kinda slow and simmer the sharpness out, get that mellow roasted-garlic flavor. when you're seeing some toasty gold in the garlic, add the rest. simmer until the potatoes are soft. put it through a blender or food processor in batches to make it smooth, then put it back in the pan (or to be practical, a different pan, because batches, you know what i mean) and bring it back to a simmer, since the blendering process cools it off a lot.

the result should be thin enough to drink from a mug, about the consistency of tomato soup. the starch from the potatoes emulsifies the olive oil, so it has a rich mouthfeel without being greasy. dip whole wheat toast in it for the full experience. ^_^

• Like x 3
  3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Another brand that is good about labeling for vegan/artificial ingredients is Gefro, which is very tasty btw but I'm not sure if they are available in the US

4. eddie

eddie ...

[​IMG]
    My first time ever making soup all by myself.
    Started off with rotisserie chicken leftovers to make some hella good stock.
    Boiled the bones + meat bits for 2.5 hours roughly.
    Painstakingly separated meat from teeny squishy bones.
    Toss the stock in the fridge bc hot dang it was like 10pm.
    Next day do the rest of the bones from a separate rotisserie chicken, second verse same as the first.
    Original stock back on the stove, add some celery + carrots + basil + pepper
    Leave the good chicken bits in the fridge, soup ain't ready.
    Throw that beast on simmer and stir when it tries to bubble
    During the 2.5 hours waiting on the dumb second batch, prep hella noodles.
    2 yolk with whites + 2 yolk without white
    Toss those babies into the volcano of roughly 2 cups of flour and ehh like two teaspoons salt
    Add yolk + water as you go into full dough ball creation mode
    I am not good at dough things, so it was a big mess
    Let the dough ball rest about ten minutes
    Get the ball rolling again, section into something resembling four equal parts
    Rolling pin out that stuff till its paper thin.
    Leave it alone after it's paper thin for a couple minutes, as you do the rest of the lil balls individually in the same way
    Handy dandy pizza cutter that stuff into strips / shapes of your liking. I did long-ways strips and cut them the other way just once
    Leave em alone now for a while.
    Fish out the abundance of celery + carrots that have gotten all soggy
    Replace with fresh yums
    Wait some more for the timer to be done on that second batch.
    Turn off broth bit for now.
    When time for bone pot to be done, repeat the painstakingly separating meat from bones.
    Grab that chicken out the fridge.
    Everything sans bones and noodles into the crock pot.
    Throw it on high. Nobody's lookin. I'm impatient.
    Noodles dry? Sure. Who knows. Put em in the crock pot.
    Forget about that soup for like half an hour to an hour.
    Boom. Bomb ass chicken noodle soup.

• Like x 7
  5. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

Things to go in yogurt - there is a post on jjt's blog currently about this, and it introduced me to the concept of cookie dough with yogurt instead of eggs, which sounds AMAZING but also I love yogurt in general. and there was a call for topping suggestions. I can't do crunchy or cold things in food rn so I would love to know what other people recommend.

for jjt, putting frozen fruit bits such as raspberries in yogurt is fun because the yogurt freezes to the outside a little bit; you can also do this with milk & a sprinkle of sugar but I find that more soupy and not ideal. if it's crunch you're interested in, possibly millet, toasted and flavored like a granola? millet has such a nice crunchiness. dammit, I need to get my tooth fixed so I can have millet granola :T

there's a coconut-flavored goat milk yogurt I tried recently that was super mellow and creamy, not sure if it is available in the US tho. coffee-flavored greek yogurt is super deluxe and not very sour IIRC on account of having coffee syrup flavoring in it :P greek and/or higher milkfat yogurt is usually a good bet because that mellows out the sourness a bit. every brand has a different background flavor and it can be a sizable difference

• Like x 2
  6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

coffee syrup yogurt oh my god, my entire nervous system just sat up and said hello

• Like x 3
  7. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

what if coconut coffee yogurt? I would like that.

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

lookit this cake thing:

• Like x 2
  9. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

I'm a fan of Yuzu EVERYTHING, but I gotta work on a better way to incorporate it. The bakery nearby does yuzu glaze donuts and yuzu homemade marshmallows :D (matcha glaze too!)

• Like x 1
  10. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

First of all, I always inhale my selfmade bread too quickly to take photos, but this here is a quite easy and quick bread recipe. Tastes best fresh, but works very beautifully toasted or grilled as well.

WIN_20160508_20_57_49_Pro.jpg
    Now this is a cheesecake. It's delicious.
    It's also a bit too sweet because I just grabbed a recipe off the internet and followed instructions, but it's still delicious. Next time, I will cut the sugar by half. This here is the cut recipe:

Cheesecake crust:
    2 cups flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 sachet/teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg
    2/3 stick butter

Filling:
    1kg of this stuff here if you can get it, but I suppose you could substitute yogurt...?
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 sachet vanilla sugar
    1 sachet vanilla pudding powder (you have to add sugar to those that get sold here, if the ones you get are already sugared, ditch the additional sugar in the filling)
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon lemon juice (or more, if you like your cheesecake a bit more tart)

Dump ingredients into two bowls, mix well.
    Put cheesecake crust dough into a springform, and spread it out so it at least covers the bottom and the part where the two parts meet. There's two ways to do this:
    1) put the dough between two sheets of clingwrap and roll out well, then move to spring form
    2) roll out dough on springform bottom and remove excess, then attach the second part of the form, roll the excess dough into noodles and press them into the corners

Dump in the filling.

bake for ~1 hour give or take at 200°C / 390°F

Let it cool before you remove it from the form.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    • Like x 2
  11. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

This is the recipe for Good Old Fashioned Cornbread™ that I've been making since I was... 7? 8? I can't remember, but im 90% sure I was still in elementary school when I first made it on my own, so rest assured that it's pretty simple.

Ingredients:
    • 2 cups Hot-Rize cornmeal (or a packet of Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread mix plus an extra cup of cornmeal)
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 cup milk or buttermilk
    • Spoonful of sugar for sweet cornbread
    Directions:
    • Preheat oven to 400F
    • Grease a pan THICKLY with Crisco or butter
    • Mix ingredients well. It should be thick, but not so thick that it falls out in clumps when you pour it into the pan. Add a little milk/buttermilk to thin it down if you need to.
    • Bake 20-25 min or until golden brown.
    Buttermilk makes it heavier and more cake-like, milk makes it sweeter. I personally prefer buttermilk but you can decide when you make it!

• Like x 5
  12. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

!! I've been wanting to try making cornbread for a while but all the recipes use buttermilk and it's hard to come by here.

• Like x 1
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

you can make a buttermilk substitute from regular milk by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar for every cup needed and letting it sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes. it causes the milk to thicken and curdle a little.

• Like x 3
  14. EulersBidentity

Oh rad! I do that when I make scones, which makes for really good scones, but I didn't realise that's what it was substituting for.

• Like x 1
  15. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

@EulersBidentity
    Waitrose has buttermilk. As does Sainsbury's. The one time I went to a Morrisons looking for it they were out but the dude I asked seemed sure they SHOULD have it. Places I haven't found it: the Co-Op, Aldi.

• Like x 1
  16. EulersBidentity

Oh neato, I'll go look next time I'm near a big Sainsbury's.

17. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

xD I have a muffin recipe book that demands buttermilk with depressing regularity. So.

18. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

I can't speak for many other recipes, but the only difference I've noticed with substituting regular milk for buttermilk in both cornbread and biscuits is that they don't get that signature faint sour undertone, they're less cake-y, and generally a bit drier. I didn't know that thing about the buttermilk substitute, though, that's awesome! I'll have to remember that.

• Like x 2
  19. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Oh, hey, I don't know if i mentioned this before, but I have a subscription to America's Test Kitchen. If anyone has a request for a specific recipe, let me know!

• Like x 1
  20. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

i was peeling and cutting apples a while ago but then had to sit down cause dehydrated. and then kintsugi sidetracked me.

BUT now i shall finish that and the crust

i haven't had much access to a kitchen for a year, now i must bake all the things

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice