Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Yeah all my nope alarms are yelling at it too. I probably could not eat it.

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

3. Void

Probably? That and it has the word "custard" and brain does this thing where custard is a sweet, not a savory. So the thought of it not being sweet is making it go "NO DO NOT"

4. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Do you eat silken tofu? It has a similar taste and texture to that, i think. More so than like custard on pastries, though technically thats what it is.

5. Void

I do not really eat tofu at all. :C Texture is weird and I only can stand it when I am craving it.

6. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Ah, that makes sense.

7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Oh it has a tofu like texture? I like tofu...A lot. IT IS THE GREATEST IN DESSERTS. And things that are not desserts. Just use tofu dammit.

I must try this custard thing.

8. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Have you had those sweet fruit tofu things they have in asian groceries? Like silken tofu in a sweet peach juice or whatever? I fricken love those.

9. Aondeug

10. jacktrash

i'm kind of thinking of chawanmushi as really creamy scrambled eggs. like... poached scrambled eggs. but with the veggies baked in. idk, it sounds delish to me but i can totally see where it's the kind of food that would trip a texture/category nope.

sort of like candied bacon is for me. i was like "you did WHAT to bacon???" but i was curious so i tried it. my mouth called my brain and went "shit just got weird down here boss what are my orders?" and my brain went "ABORT MISSION ABORT MISSION" and i picked the half chewed candied bacon off my tongue and discreetly dropped it in the trash. apparently candied bacon is Wrong.

• Like x 2
  11. Aondeug

That reminds me of how sad I am that headcheese makes me gag. I love how it tastes but the texture just makes my body go NO GET THIS OUT RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

12. Void

Eurgh. I hate scrambled eggs too. I don't eat many eggs.

Candied bacon sounds ew. I have a thing where I like certain tastes, but I can't eat the foods together. I like chocolate and potato chips, but I won't eat them at the same time. I will eat a few chips, nibble some chocolate, and then eat some more chips. I like the balance of sweet and salty haha

13. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

there was a time in my life where i loved candied pepperoni. like, "just dump that fucker in a pan with sugar" candied pepperoni. usually with cheese-flavored instant ramen.

nowadays i've acquired more refined tastes, and like to let the pepperoni marinade in some balsamic vinegar before putting it in my instant fuzilli carbonara.

14. Void

/screams at the thought of voluntarily eating pepperonis

15. jacktrash

candied... pepperoni...

excalibur face.png

• Like x 4
  16. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

ironically enough, it was the candied pepperoni that made my therapist realize i was using binge-eating as a form of self-harm.

• Like x 1
  17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Re: The savory custard type stuff, on one hand it sounds delish, on the other it contains fish and seaweed. (Both are not food to me. Fish is actually the epitome of not food.) Anyone have ideas on how to replace the fishy stuff?

18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I found a way to circumvent the sort of flour-y taste/texture thing that pears sometimes do. You need aluminium foil. and either a baking oven or a bonfire or grill or other fire thing.
    wrap pear in foil. do it whole or cut it up and put in some cinnamon and chocolate if you want maybe? toss into coals wait for approximately forever. I dont actually have any kind of sensible time for this but you kinda wait about as long as you would with a potato?
    the result is mushy sweet pear that doesn't have any firmness or flour-y taste left over its just super super sweet.
    Someone who is better at chemistry is welcome to chop off my head tho, idk how acidic pears are and whether its dangerous to put alu foil around them in a hot environment.

• Like x 1
  19. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

You can make a vegetarian dashi broth by boiling dried shitake mushrooms and a couple slices of konbu seaweed, and a touch of salt. Or you could maybe replace it with a very mild watery chicken broth?or honestly just use water, dashi's pretty bland and i think chemistry wise its just for liquid.

20. siveambrai

siveambrai Negative Karma Engine nerd.professor.gamer

Both of those sound really good and interesting to me. I was in New Orleans recently for a conference and they have a lot of praline flavored items. Pralined-bacon and cheese burger was amazing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice