Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

I cannot stand sweet and savory flavors together. I used to do steaks and baked squash as a meal, eith the little squash halves stuffed with brown sugar and cinnamon and butter. Id eat the steak and salad, then have the squash like a dessert. My mate friggen dipped slices of steak in the butter-sugar stuff. It was epicly nasty.

2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

@Lissiel Thanks, that´s an idea. Hm, any ideas for the fishcakes?

3. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Savory pudding is like crustless quiche.

If non-fish seafood is food, crabcakes would work. Otherwise chicken.

And I need to write up the recipe for the vaguely Indian cauliflower monstrosity, and then I'll link it here, but in the meantime: frozen vodka watermelon.

Cut some watermelon into chunks. Put in a container. Pour vodka over it. Freeze it for an hour. Congratulations, it's summer! Eat the vodka monstrosity with a spoon and cease caring about the bugs that are already somehow getting inside.

• Like x 4
  4. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Leave them out? You can put any combo of meats and veggies in. Maybe little bits of shredded chicken and spinach?

5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

as @Lissiel said, kombu dashi or shiitake dashi would work just fine. or anything else that adds a bit of umami flavor; mild cooking wine, broth, miso, even a dab of tomato paste.

• Like x 1
  6. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Mirin and soy sauce might be tasty, though youd probably have to water it down.

7. jacktrash

my vote would be marinated tofu or baked tofu. baked tofu, particularly, has the right texture and flavor punch.

• Like x 1
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Thanks, that helps. I´m bad at the chemistry part of cooking so I´m cautiuous with replacing, but anything that has even hints of seafood taste is not food to me. Tufo and soysauce/chickenbroth would totally work tho.

9. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Bookmarking this thread because YES COOKING
    You know what's quick and yummy? Coconut rice is quick and yummy.
    Ingrediants:
    One can of coconut milk
    Little bit of water
    Five minute rice

You can make as much of it as you need by adding more or less water.
    Just boil it, add equal amount of rice, cover it for five minutes, tada! So quick, so delicious.

• Like x 1
  10. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

coconut rice is absolutely amazing, i had it all the time when i was in colombia and couldnt get enough. and my favorite rice dish is coconut-flavored arroz de leite, which is amazing if you're a) sick b) into rice desserts.

• Like x 1
  11. emythos

It is so good. That sounds awesome. Do you have a recipe, because anything with rice and coconut is something I will try.

12. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Stuff to drink when you have a cold that works almost as good as medicine:

Chamomile or peppermint tea with lemon juice, candied ginger chunks, and absurd amounts of honey. Also a swig of brandy if you can drink alcohol. The teas are both antiinflammatories, ginger is good for upset tummies, and honey soothes the throat. Brandy is to knock you out and as a mild pain reliever.

Chicken broth, with frozen gingerroot grated into it (keep a hunk in your freezer, grating it is 180000000x easier than mincing and also it keeps forever), white pepper, soy sauce, garlic powder and a splash of vinegar. Its basically no-spoons hot and sour broth and will clear your sinuses like the devil between the pepper and the vinegar.

Instant dashi broth, with wakame from the freezer. Salty, hot, easy on the tummy, can make it in a microwave by the cup.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    • Like x 2
  13. witchknights

Sure!!! it's really easy to make

1.5l whole milk
    0.5l coconut milk
    rice to taste
    1 cup sugar
    ~1 tbsp strong vanilla extract
    about 2 sticks of cinnamon
    3-5 bits of clove
    1/3 cup honey

shaved coconut and ground cinnamon, extra honey

just cook the rice with the water, sugar, cinnamon sticks, vanilla, clove, honey and whole milk. when it's done, add the coconut milk and stir and its done. i like to eat mine warm and with extra honey and cinnamon on top, and those dried coconut shavings add a crunch if you're into it.

ETA: this is a life-saver when i have migraine nausea, because the not-extra-sweetened, cold arroz de leite isnt hard on my stomach and is rich enough that it's nurturing even in small amouts so my migraines don't get worse because of hunger; and warm it's really good for when i've a cold.

• Like x 2
  14. emythos

Oh gods, that sounds delicious. I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

• Like x 1
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

YOU ARE A GENIUS

• Like x 3
  16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

So you have a hankering for Thai food but you don't have the fifteen different kinds of spices and fruits you need to make a lot of it. But you do happen to have the staples of American breakfast. Congratulations you can make Thai food.

Namely khao phat amerikan or, in English, American fried rice. Your ingredients list as a base is very simple: butter, steamed rice, ketchup, an egg, an onion, pepper (i use white), and oil. While you can spruce it up this is the very basics of the dish.

So basically you just make yourself a pot of jasmine rice as I've described before. 1 1/2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice that steams for 15 minutes. Now get out a pan and stick some butter in there and fry yourself up an egg however you want. I do sunnyside up usually. Set this aside. Now take your same pan. Get some more butter in there and toss in your diced onions. Get that frying for a bit until you can smell the glorious smell of frying onions.

From that point on you stick in your other not rice stuff that you want in it. Such as...Bacon. Spam. American breakfast sausage. Canadian bacon. More spam. Hotdogs. Vienna sausages. Raisins. And my personal favorite pineapple. Hell stick fucking hashbrowns in it. Is it something that can be vaguely construed as American breakfast food? Chuck it in. Except the pancakes. Not the pancakes. Now fry that stuff for a bit.

After that is sufficiently fried it is time to put the rice in the pan. Get some oil in for frying and heat it. Then toss the rice in and mix it up with your fried stuff. Now take your ketchup. And just fucking pile that on. You want your rice to be orange. All of it must be a glorious orange that reeks of sheer 'murican wonder. Then put in your pepper and mix that in too. Additionally I tend to add a bit of lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce because I cannot live without my fish sauce. Fry this concoction for a bit.

Once done turn off the heat and scoop out some of your rice. Stick that in a bowl and then put the egg on top. If you didn't put the bacon in the rice proper accompany your rice with bacon and such if you so choose. Also Thai condiments.

Also a fun history fact. This is the result of American troops stationed in Thailand. Troops who brought their superhuman lust for pineapple, bacon, and ketchup with them. So my grandfather and his brothers are to blame.

• Like x 6
  17. witchknights

i'm always amazed that people actually have complicated stuff with rice and eggs and meat for breakfast, or super huge meals. here it's just a banana or something, grilled cheese if you're feeling fancy, and your weight in coffee/latte.

• Like x 2
  18. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Last night I made this and it was awesome. I needed to add a bit more water though, so I used some of the liquid from when I rehydrated the shiitake mushrooms. I also cooked the noodles separately, and used chicken breast instead of thigh and didn't put any roasted sesame seeds in it but w/e. It was super easy, though! Probably still a medium spoons meal.

19. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

You know what this thread needs more of? Potatoes.

Bigass Baked Potato.
    Ingredients:
    Bigass potato. Red ones work well. Should be around fist-sized or a bit bigger. One per person, or more if you're super hungry. (These tend to be super filling though)
    Sour cream
    Chopped Spanish onion
    Cheese (the pre-mixed 'pizza cheese' works really well but any kind you like is fine. Maybe not Brie/Camembert though.)
    Garlic butter (either premixed, or combine around 8 ounces/225g of butter or margarine with 4 mashed garlic cloves)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Anything else you want to put on it, really. My mum puts avocado, for example.
    Step one: Procure oven, preheat to 180 degrees Celsius (about 350F?)
    Step two: Score an X-shape in the top of the potato. Exploding potatoes aren't fun.
    Step three: Put potato in oven. Straight in there. No tray or anything. (Unless you want a tray, I guess)
    Step four: Wait an hour
    Step five: Take potato out of oven, split along the X-shape (so you get it roughly quartered but still connected)
    Step six: Chuck anything you want on it (tip: garlic butter goes on first, cheese goes on last)
    Step seven: Shovel into mouth.

• Like x 1
  20. jacktrash

this here's farm country. you get up at five, suck down a thousand calories and two extra-large cups of sweet coffee with half-and-half, and you're ready to go punch some cows. :D

i am not actually a farmer irl. i just have a couple little sausages and an egg on toast, or a bagel with cream cheese, or a bowl of cereal. if it's a low spoons day, just a granola bar and a glass of milk. i think most folks who don't work outdoors have something similar. but all the restaurants around here have these monstrous huge breakfasts on the menu if they're open for breakfast, because farmers will eat goddamn EVERYTHING is2g.

edit: if i am going hiking or am feeling super enthused ab out gardening i'll have a big breakfast tho, idk what it is about working outdoors that makes you ten times as hungry.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice