Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wanted less than all of the water, since the resulting bread still tastes kinda yeasty and the dough was workable but extremely sticky. Like - had to keep adding flour to it every couple of motions as I was kneading it and as I was rolling it out into snakes so I could braid it. And the petite loaf swallowed the slashes I attempted to put in (and split along both sides, as a result). On reflection, I think it also wanted more time to prove (or possibly more heat while proving); it smells and tastes a bit yeasty still. But that may be due to me using cold water, instead of warm water, idk. I think I about nailed the bake time, though - the big loaves (although they've lost most of the braiding) do make the same hollow thumping sound I've heard from bakers tapping on their bread in GBBO. (Smol loaf went in for 20 minutes - an initial 15, plus eyeballing for another 5 - and the big loaves were in for 30 minutes, getting turned at the fifteen mark and again when I pulled smol loaf.)

(Sharing pics, and hoping I didn't mess up how to attach them.)

Smol Bread.jpg Challahs.jpg

• Like x 2
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

yeah foccacia tends to be super sticky (is why I only make it wearing gloves and using a kitchen machine to knead but that part is largely bc i have broken hands) which can be annoying. It eats hands if allowed to do so. Super yummy and definitly worth it tho.

3. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Conversely, my pretzel recipe has the upper limit on flour listed... It calls for five cups and you can make it do that. if you are a maniac who really wants too and can knead for several hours. but four and a half is the normal people amount.

• Like x 1
  4. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

BEHOLD, delicious pasta mess

chop a onion, mince garlic or be lazy like me and scoop some pre-minced garlic out of a jar. two heaping spoonfuls/4+ cloves should do it

boil pasta of choice, preferably a long noodly one and not a short noodly one. (i picked angel hair because favorite pasta)

take equal parts of butter and olive oil into a pan, eyeball a little under what you'd expect to make enough sauce

heat that, toss onion and garlic in, sautee it real good

toss in frozen, cooked shrimp/leftover chicken/what have you

add salt, pepper, basil, parsley, and any other spices you'd like in to taste

strain pasta whenever it's did

at the very end, toss in a handful or two of the tiny crumbly bits of a bag of chopped spinach, or any other veggie you'd like (if frozen broccoli or the like, toss in with your Meats)

mix together, top with parmesan cheese

nomnomnom

• Like x 4
  5. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Finally using this jar of green chili starter I got at HEB during Hatch Chile Flavored Everything Week. Diced three boneless chicken breasts (previously marinated in a hatch chile marinade also scored during HCFEW), browned them in butter with some diced onion, dumped in the starter, added corn and black beans from cans, now it's just sitting over medium heat so the beans can absorb deliciousness, then it's gonna get some sliced avocado on top.

• Like x 6
  6. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I'm attempting kreplach. The filling's cooked (diced up two chicken breasts as finely as I figured was viable, and diced a whole (small) onion, then cooked the onion in a pan till browned and pulled the onion out and put it to the side, then cooked the meat in the same pan and added the onion back in once the meat was cooked through); it says to let the filling sit and cool for a while so I'm just gonna...do that and sit as well.

I still need to make the dough and roll that out thin enough, too. Augh. This seemed like a good idea when I started it...

• Like x 1
  7. Azzy

Azzy 200% GUNK

Really simple low spoons oatmeal breakfasts

Savory
    -Fill mug of appropriate breakfast size approximately halfway with porridge oats
    -Add some cheese, if you want, for flavor and gooeyness
    -Add a pat of butter
    -Add an egg
    -Salt and pepper to taste
    -Mix it up if you'd rather not have eggy bits in the porridge, leave the egg on top if you do
    -Fill the mug the rest of the way with boiling water
    -Stir until it thickens into delicious breakfast goo

Sweet
    -Fill mug halfway with oats
    -slice a small banana or half of a large one into it
    -Fill 3/4 of the way with boiling water
    -Add a large spoonful of peanutbutter
    -Add a small scoop of nutella if you really want it sweet
    -Alternatively, add a packet of sweetener or a spoon of sugar if you don't want chocolate
    -Stir until it thickens into delicious breakfast goo

• Like x 5
  8. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Chocolate chip nut (cup)cakes
    WIN_20161203_18_58_43_Pro.jpg
    You need:
    • An oven, some kind of cake or muffin form, at least two bowls, some kind of tool to beat eggs
    • 3 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
    • 60 gram / 0.5 cup flour
    • 150 gram / 1 cup of ground nuts of your choice, mix to your hearts content (original recipe was 50 gram walnuts and 100 gram hazelnuts, these here have almond in them instead of walnut)
    • 100 gram / 0.5 cup sugar
    • 100 gram / 0.4 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
    • 100 gram / ~1 stick butter (a bit less actually but who cares)
    • 1 sachet / 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • a pinch of salt
    • optional: 1 teaspoon oil + 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs if you don't make it in paper muffin cups like i do
    What do:
    • Mix yolk, sugar, and butter. Beat until foamy.
    • Mix in chocolate, nuts, baking powder, and flour
    • In a separate bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff
    • Fold in the beaten egg white
    • If you're not working with paper muffin cups or other non-stick implements, apply oil and breadcrumbs to the receptacle in which the batter will be baked
    • Bake at 180 °C / 356 °F for 30 minutes (cupcakes) or 50 minutes (cake)
    • Don't eat it all straight off the tin -- oh who am I kidding here. Stuff your face.

• Like x 4
  9. Azzy

Azzy 200% GUNK

Let me know if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but to anyone with more cooking experience than I: Is there any reason why I can't make a much faster rice pudding on the stove in the manner one might make a risotto? If I were to say, Get the rice going in butter, water, and spices, then added milk and sugar in the way one would add stock to a risotto? Or would this generally be a bad idea and i should just stick to the much lengthier baked method?

• Like x 1
  10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

idk what kinda rice is used for rice pudding! But if it's rounded very starchy rice like milk rice or risotto would call for, i'd assume the result would be... well milk rice. Or risotto with milk. Dunno if that would be similar to rice pudding at all but technically, yes you can make rice in milk on a stove

• Like x 1
  11. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

You can use any short grained white rice for rice pudding, and it can be made in a pan in the hob. Starting it off like risotto sounds like too much work for the payoff, just bung in milk and sugar and rice, scrape in some vanilla seeds if you like, bring to the boil and then simmer for around half an hour stirring occasionally.

I only bake my rice pudding for the skin because I love the skin (ymmv).

• Like x 1
  12. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

I've seen rice pudding recipes that use cooked or leftover rice, so you should be fine making it on the stove - the various techniques all end up making a similar product, it's mostly up to personal preference and what recipe/equipment you've got/are familiar with.

13. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Google finds a bunch of stovetop rice pudding recipes, I think it would work.

14. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

• Like x 1
  15. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

[​IMG]

no I don't have any baking planned what are you TALKING about, that's not MY 20 pound bag of flour...

• Like x 8
  16. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

Tried a new recipe for chocolate chip cookies and it made a big difference to others I did in the past! SO. Passing on as requested.

1 cup butter, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons hot water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts, but I don't bother bc they hurt my teeth.

Oven at 350. Cream the butter and sugars till smoothed out into a paste. I like adding my vanilla at this point of mixing so it spreads nicer. Mix in the eggs. This step here seemed to make ALL THE DIFFERENCE from other cookies I've made in the past: dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Add to batter along with salt. I add in chocolate chips now, and if you're using nuts, mix those in now too so it's easier to evenly distribute. Add the flour till it's all mixed up into dough. My instinct was hefty spoonfuls, but -don't-. Think.... hm. Take a good sized soup spoon, and shave a bit off the blob you'd take without trying too hard with it. They will spread and flatten a good deal, but oh man is it worth it. Too big and they won't cook the centers quite right. Bake for ten minutes or till golden at edges and no longer shimmery looking at the center.

Crispy edges, chewy center. 8D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Like x 7
  17. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

update on recipe: last night i think i didn't add as much flour, so the spread was better and the crunch was better. these right now, I may have inadvertently added MORE flour or the proper amount, and they are much less spread-y and have more soft to them. >:Ic interesting. Versatile recipe.

further followup in evening: the more flour made for thicker cookie, but they wound up crunchy in the end still! good for milk.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    • Like x 2
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I've been meaning to post this for a while, since it's pretty much what's been keeping me alive for the last few months: the veggie jambalaya recipe out of this cookbook. A lot of stuff in the book is much higher-spoons than I'm generally game for, but this one is "chop a bunch of vegetables and throw a bunch of stuff in a pot" and I can often deal with that.

2 Tbsp olive oil (I never measure this, just pour some in the pan)
    1 onion
    1 green bell pepper
    3 celery stalks
    3 cloves minced garlic (I have one of those big jars of minced garlic and just eyeball a big spoonful)
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 tomatoes (...says the recipe. I just open a can of diced tomatoes and call it a day.)
    2 bay leaves
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (The recipe says 1 tsp. Unless your cayenne is very stale, this produces a heat level about equivalent to "hot" at my local Thai place before they nerfed the food. If that's your thing, more power to you, but I prefer a little less pain with my dinner.)
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    3/4 cup rice
    3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    Cooked protein of your choice (I usually use a can of kidney beans and half a turkey kielbasa, but if you have some leftover cooked chicken or tofu or shrimp or something that works too)
    1. Chop up the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Heat up the oil in a big ol' pot on medium-high and toss 'em in.
    2. The recipe says to cook "for five minutes, or until translucent but not brown;" I usually just measure out all the spices and open the tomato can and turn around and stir the veggies whenever that occurs to me, and move on when I'm done with that.
    3. Dump in the garlic, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, and all the dry spices, and stir it around.
    4. Add the rice and stir it around again.
    5. Add the broth. The recipe says to add it "slowly," but they don't clarify if they mean in a slow stream, or like half a cup at a time. I usually just pour a bit in, put a couple things away, pour some more in, throw out the empty cans, etc.
    6. Turn the heat down to medium and set a timer for 10 minutes.
    7. When the timer goes off, set another one for 10 minutes and then Prepare the Protein. In my case, this is draining and rinsing the beans and chopping up the sausage. By the time you're done it should be about time to dump the protein in. Mix it up and leave the pot to simmer some more.
    8. It's done when the rice has soaked up almost all the liquid, which is usually when the timer goes off or a couple minutes afterward. You'll probably have to stir it a bit in the last couple of minutes to make sure nothing sticks or burns.
    9. Eat.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    • Like x 6
  19. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

so on the one hand, I'm pretty sure I messed up the caramel coating on these almonds

on the other hand, the texture is so gr8 that I have no regrets whatsoever and am hoping to fuck up the next batch too

Attached Files:

• Like x 8
  20. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Someone please remind me I do not have the spoons (or the time!) to be making these right now, no matter how delicious they really look. (And of course my brains are still trying to find out a way to make these happen)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice