Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Idk how many of you are familiar with Original Pancake House, but I found a recipe for a gluten free version of their apple pancake and made it for Christmas breakfast! (I have a gluten free all purpose flour blend already so I didn't bother to do the flour mixing). And it came out delicious, although next time I'd use two apples.

Edit: also the recipe calls for granulated sugar (???) but I used brown sugar bc it's what I had on hand and honestly I think white sugar would make it too sweet.

received_10211443201297228.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    • Like x 7
  2. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Toffee bar time! It's a family recipe my mom makes every winter c:
    Ingredients
    2 cups oatmeal
    1 stick softened butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup corn syrup
    1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat to 325F

Mix everything besides the chocolate chips together in a bowl, then spread the mixture out onto a medium pan. It's cool if its not all perfectly even, it'll spread itself out as it cooks.
    Cook for about 10-12 minutes. Watch it carefully- take out when edges are slightly browned.
    Put chocolate chips over the oatmeal. Wait until theyre melted all the way through before spreading the chocolate around with a spoon.
    Cut the bars, then stick the pan in the freezer until its all solid.
    Now you have a whole pan of delicious noms! Cooked right you can just bend the pan a little and they'll pop free no problem

• Like x 3
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I make chocolate crackle cookies and peppermint creams as my family gifts each year because I'm on a budget and my family are super hard to buy for.

4. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@sirsparklepants (i can't tell if you are confused and want an answer or what, so, apologies if this is unwarranted oops) granulated sugar is just white sugar :) brown sugar in the pancake sounds like a very tasty idea

• Like x 1
  5. sirsparklepants

I actually Googled it to find out just that! I was mostly confused at why they specified granulated as opposed to just sugar, as white sugar is my default assumption at least

• Like x 1
  6. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

As opposed to caster sugar, maybe. That's what I would use by default if a recipe said "white sugar".

• Like x 1
  7. sirsparklepants

Haha, I had to Google that too. Clearly I am not a baker - sugar is table sugar, powdered sugar, or brown sugar as far as I'm concerned.

• Like x 2
  8. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

low-ish spoons potato and leek soup:

made six bowls last time i had it

3 big leeks, washed and the whites sliced
    about 4 cups popato, quartered
    7 cups water
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup heavy cream

put shit (except the cream) in pot. simmer shit for 30min or until shit is tender. apply stick blender to shit until there are no chunks (about like thin pea soup). pour cream in that shit. stir. eat

• Like x 3
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I don't know enough about baking to mess around with flour proportions etc., but I've greatly improved my chocolate chip cookies just by changing the flavorings a little - I use the basic Joy of Cooking recipe, but I replace 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla with almond extract and add 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon.

• Like x 5
  10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

[​IMG][​IMG]

that's less than half of this freaking shortbread, it should be noted.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like x 8
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Please email me some!

• Like x 3
  12. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Adventures in a Restricted Fiber Diet: Baked Zucchini-Potato Cakes

1 peeled, seeded, grated large zucchini
    1 peeled, grated potato
    1 egg
    1/4 to 1/3 cup AP flour
    Cheese of some sort (I used 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar)
    Some diced onion, maybe 1/4 cup
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dill
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

Prepare the vegetables and mix with salt in a bowl. Let sit for 10 or so minutes, then squeeze out excess water. It doesn't have to be super dry, but drier helps the mixture hold together better. Add the other ingredients and mix, adding extra flour if the mix isn't holding together very well. Heat oven to 425 F and bake in a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (very sticky!) for 20~25 minutes, turning over halfway through.

These are pretty good, although the crust was a bit tough. A good way to use up some zucchini, too. If you're not on a restricted-fiber diet, you can leave the skin and seeds on/in the zucchini and just cut off the ends and any funky bits before grating. Probably these are not as tasty as if you pan-fried them in vegetable or canola oil in a skillet on the stove, but they are a bit healthier (at least lower in fat).

• Like x 1
  13. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

cheap and delicious rice recipes

Rice and Beans
    REQUIRED: 1 1/2 cups rice, a 15oz(?) can of kidney beans, oil, water, salt, two saucepans, heatproof stirring utensil
    SUGGESTED: garlic cloves, a jalapeno, 1 tsp each chili sauce and bouillon paste, dried cumin/chile/oregano, black pepper, knife and cutting board (for garlic and jalapeno)
    HOW TO: get the rice cooking in one of the pots. in a second pot, big enough to hold beans and eventually also the cooked rice, lightly fry the jalapeno (deseeded, sliced thin) and garlic (minced) in 1 tbsp oil until fragrant, then stir in the dry spices, if you're using them. mostly drain the can of beans and add to pot. add enough water to sorta cover the beans and let them simmer while the rice cooks, mashing them up with the cooking utensil to make them kinda saucy. add the chili sauce and bouillon paste if u want, and salt. beans and rice need salt, it will be sad otherwise. when the rice is done and the beans are adequately saucy, mix the whole dang thing together and then eat some. preferably topped with shredded cheese, but whatever ya got really. fried egg, leftover chili, canned stew, etc. serves at least 4, lasts 5 days if u need it to. can be made with other proportions of beans or rice but I like this one.

Crispy Rice with Onions - recommended if u a) bought basmati rice and need to use it up, or if u can get it cheap at the superstore, bc plain white rice doesn't seem to work the same way, and b) have yogurt or sour cream kicking around, like if u bought some sour cream for taco night and it's just sitting there in the fridge alone and purposeless. Idk if water can be substituted for the dairy component, but I rely on yogurt so this recipe is a fave
    REQUIRED: 2 cups basmati rice, oil, an onion, salt, water, small amount of plain yogurt or sour cream, medium-large saucepan with tight-fitting lid, a heatproof stirring utensil, knife and cutting board, a bowl, a clean dishtowel, a sieve
    HOW TO: pre-boil the rice for five minutes and then drain; put in bowl. you can reuse the pot for the next step, maybe rinse it if it's super ricey. slice the onion thinly and fry in 2 tbsp oil with some salt, covering it with the lid for the first five mins or so to start it browning nicely. when the onions are all fried down nicely scrape them into the bowl with the rice and add 1/4 cup of yogurt (that's 4 tbsp) and a generous 1/3 cup of water. stir it all up and add pepper or spices if u want. back to the oniony pot: if it's not all full of burnt bits, just put in another 2 tbsp of oil and get it medium hot so that the oil crackles when some rice is dropped in. put all the rice back in and kind of smush it flat. wrap the clean dishtowel over the lid and set it firmly on the pot. turn the heat to low (not super low) and leave it for 30 minutes. check on it and if the grains at the top of the pot are still a little firm, give it more time until the rice is cooked through. there will be a delicious crunchy layer in the bottom that scrapes off fairly easily (but sometimes not so easily); mix it up and enjoy. serves 4 generously.

the crispy rice is way more involved, but it makes a whole bunch and goes well with most dishes. the rice and beans are easier and more nutritionally complete. I have borderline fucked these up to varying degrees and they almost always end up edible, and quite often they turn out great. v recommended

• Like x 7
  14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Applesauce!

Applesauce is really easy, tastes better homemade, and can be made in pretty small amounts! Also, not many ingredients, unless you want to make fancy applesauce. :D Best when you find good apples for super cheap. I just made some yesterday because a store near us had McIntosh apples for 68 cents a pound, and I couldn't pass that up.

Ingredients
    Apples (I used 5 pounds)
    Water/apple juice/apple cider

Optional:
    Sugar (brown sugar works better, but ordinary table sugar works too)
    Cinnamon
    Cloves
    Allspice
    Lemon juice
    Other fruits

Directions
    Peel apples, then cut into quarters and remove the seeds/the tough core bits. This is the most time-consuming and work-intensive part of the process. Cut into smallish pieces for a faster cooking time. Put in a pot with about 1/2 cup of liquid (water works just fine, apple juice/cider is great), then cook covered over medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until your apples are nice and soft and mushy and breaking up. You can use a potato masher or forks for a chunkier applesauce; if you want smoother, you'll probably need to blend somehow (I used my new stick blender because AN EXCUSE TO USE MY STICK BLENDER AWW YISS). I just put mine in a big container and popped it in the fridge; if you're more DIY inclined, you can try canning for longer-lasting 'sauce. I have never canned anything so unfortunately I can't provide any directions or insight!

As for the optional ingredients, I like a bit of lemon juice (maybe a tablespoon) for tartness and keeping the apples from getting super brown. I usually don't add sugar, but if you have very tart apples or just want some nice sweet applesauce you might want to. I'd advice starting with less and working up if you choose to. Same with spices, a little can go a long way! Try a teaspoon or so at first (less for very strong spices) and add a bit more if you want more spiciness. Obviously, with a smaller amount of apples you'd want to reduce the amount of sugar and/or spices. If you're adding other fruits, I think most can just be prepped and added in with the apples. I'd say most stone fruits would make good additions, but I'm sure there are tons of excellent combos out there.

• Like x 1
  15. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

You can also freeze it. My family have more than once ended up with huge piles of Ziplock bags full of applesauce in the freezer in years when the apple trees out back were particularly enthusiastic and people bothered to harvest them.

16. fractalLettuce

fractalLettuce a disaster cabbage

my sister and i did A Science to a box of annie's mac n cheese which is what we have in the house now instead of kraft. in addition to butter/milk/cheese powder, sibling added 1 chicken bullion cube and a handful of shredded sharp cheddar. I sliced up 2 hotdogs, and we microwaved one of those birdseye steam in bag frozen broccolis and mixed all that in. broccodog nonis have been declared a rousing success.

• Like x 7
  17. shmeed

shmeed plant me

• Like x 1
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I used to be very "meh" towards gourds, but they're some of the few veggies I could eat with my diet, and I discovered that actually butternut squash is really tasty?? A bit of a pain to prepare but daaang.

Extremely Simple Oven-Roasted Butternut Squash

Preparing the Squash

Needed: a squash, a good sharp knife, a spoon (if you have a grapefruit spoon that would be perfect), a peeler or pairing knife

Get a nice, firm, unmarred butternut squash. They're usually fairly cheap, especially in the fall when they're in season. I just got one for 99 cents a pound, which isn't too bad, considering there's a lot of flesh on it. You do lose some in the prep, so if you have a recipe that calls for 2 pounds, you might want to get one that's a little heavier.

When you're ready, cut the top and bottom off of the squash. Next, cut the squash a bit above the point where it starts to flare out into the part where the seeds are. Some are more defined, others are not, just do your best. Peel both parts of the squash. A serrated veggie peeler is ideal; it'll be a bit harder with a regular one or a knife, but it can be done. You want to remove the light skin and greenish veins and leave as much of the bright orange flesh as possible.

When it's peeled, you can cut the "neck" part of the squash up any way you like. For quicker cooking, I usually cut mine up into inch(ish) chunks. The other half has the seeds. Cut it in half and scrape/scoop the seeds and other stringy bits out. This can be a bit hard to do, which is why a grapefruit spoon is useful if you have one. If not, employ any methods at your disposal to remove all that junk. After you've cleaned it out to your satisfaction, cut it up into pieces about the same size as the rest. They really don't need to be perfect.

Roasting the Squash

Needed: squash pieces, oil of some sort, flavorings, a cookie sheet, foil or parchment paper

Squash can get messy/sticky when roasted, so it's nice to line your baking sheet with something to keep it clean. Makes it less of a spoons-intensive process for me.

Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Toss your squash pieces with some oil (olive oil is good, but you could use veggie or canola or anything that can survive the 400 degrees). Season with whatever spices/flavors you like. I usually go pretty basic and just use salt and pepper, because you can use your roasted squash in other recipes and I want it to be versatile. Thyme, rosemary, paprika, brown sugar, and maple are all flavorings/spices that I've seen in recipes for roasted butternut squash. Spread out the squash pieces on your baking sheet; they'll cook better if they're in one layer. Pop in the oven and cook for 30 - 40 minutes, depending on amount and size of squash pieces. Larger pieces and more squash will need more time. Stir the pieces at 15 or so minutes. When your squash is easily pierced with a fork, knife, or toothpick, it's ready. Take out and eat as is or use in another recipe.

Some recipes that call for roasted squash: pureed squash soups, squash risotto, squash bread (like zucchini or banana bread!), mashed squash (as a replacement for potatoes), pizza sauce (actually really good), gnocchi (fancy!), etc. I usually just end up eating it all before it can be used in anything else, though, but I want to try some of these things in the future!

• Like x 2
  19. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Re: winter squash: you can also slice the thing in half without additional chopping and peeling, stick it in the oven cut side down on a pan with a little bit of water in it, and cook it until it's soft. Not sure if it's as tasty, but it's waaay easier to cut it up when it's already cooked.

• Like x 2
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Good point! I meant to mention that too, but I forgot. It would be a lot easier to prep that way! I've also seen recipes for stuffed squashes, where you cut it in half, pull out the seeds, and then put something tasty in the hollow part and bake. Mmm, I want to try that now.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice