Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I have one and I love it so much. I've used both the all metal ones and the ones that are mostly plastic, and while the all metal ones are more expensive, they last longer and are easier to use imo.

• Like x 2
  2. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

There's also this implement:

[​IMG]

Possibly cheaper than a mandolin slice.

3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

... This does not look like a kitchen tool to my brain because I am a weird weird person c':

• Like x 3
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Dough is rising.....

0312171707-747x1328.jpg
    Recipe is KAF's hearth bread

• Like x 9
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Update: very hot, smells good, and dairy-free (made 2 loaves)

Attached Files:

• Like x 8
  6. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Went to grocery store for normal groceries Saturday, was viciously attacked by sample people wielding delicious low-spoon shrimp creole that's basically just "shrimp simmered in this stuff from a jar + some cream", bought the jar.

Sauteed some diced smoked sausage, added shrimp, added sauce, cooked til shrimp turned pink, added a little milk, dumped on a scoop of microwave-in-pouch long grain and wild rice. It was amazing.

• Like x 9
  7. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

8. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Thermometers make any recipe involving cooked sugar much easier, they're not exactly mandatory but they're really useful.

• Like x 1
  9. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

@Wormwitch Here, try this one!

...also there's what I call Pants On Head Fudge which is p. much the only fudge I ever make because it's two ingredients and impossible to mess up. It's one can of frosting and one bag of candy chips, melt and mix together over medium-low heat or in the microwave, mix and match chip and frosting flavors as you like--a vanilla frosting + PB chips should work.

• Like x 2
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Potato pizza is good, and pretty simple!

> make or buy pizza dough

> wash and peel (or not, if you're using thin-skinned potatoes) one medium potato or a couple small ones, enough to get slices to cover the pizza

> cut potato into very thin slices (if you have a mandolin, it would be perfect)

> boil water in a medium pot, put slices in, simmer for about 5 minutes (longer if you have thicker slices)

> drain potatoes well and toss with olive oil and salt

> put on pizza dough in whatever manner pleases you

> traditional potato pizza is just potato + oil + salt + rosemary, but put what you want on there (I think ham is an excellent choice)

> bake according to dough instructions, although you may have to adjust to make sure potato is cooked well, look for browning on the potato slices

I used gold potatoes and it turned out good.

0319171844-298x530.jpg

• Like x 6
  11. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

so I've made this as a half batch a couple of times now, and my dough always comes out incredibly sticky. maybe it's the yogurt - I'm using a thick 2% instead of Greek. I'm now trying out 3/4 or so of the milk to start, and adding another tablespoon or so if it seems necessary. hopefully that'll do the trick.

12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

You can make regular yogurt into Greek by straining it in a cheesecloth (or a clean kitchen towel, probably)! If you let it strain too long it'll have the consistency of goat cheese, though.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Like x 2
  13. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Yeah, that's probably the problem--try it with Greek, or use the straining trick there.

• Like x 1
  14. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

I ended up making a guess at how much liquid would drain out to make it properly Greek, and then subtracted that from the overall milk amount. and definitely didn't use all the milk. I think that was my problem, I was forgetting it was a bread recipe and pouring all the liquid in at once like a dingus. it turned out really well this time! I added half a teaspoon of oregano and a quarter teaspoon of chili flakes along with the garlic powder, they are delicious

• Like x 5
  15. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Cavatappi (aka corkscrews, aka curly mac) + sausage + that creole sauce from HEB that I've been making jambalaya out of for 2 weeks and am still not tired of + splash of milk + velveeta = creole mac and cheese. Holy shit that was good.

• Like x 2
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I made a pasta sauce by sauteing onions and garlic in olive oil till they were very soft, then adding ground turkey and cooking till basically cooked through. I then added a can of tomato paste and some chicken broth to thin it out a bit, brought to a boil, then simmered for about 15 minutes. A very thick kind of sauce because I used paste and not some other form of tomato, but it still tastes good. I also added some assorted spices, but I don't remember exactly what. Oregano and an Italian blend for sure, might have been some other stuff in there too. I put it over rainbow rotini and enjoyed.

• Like x 6
  17. PrinzVyper

PrinzVyper "Cum cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus."

Here's a simple recipe for Cheesy Potatoes that our household likes a lot.

a bunch of washed potatoes 'bout 3 or 4 lbs
    1 lb shredded cheese
    1 pint of cream or 2 pints half and half
    (optional) 1 smoked sasuage or kielbasa

Preheat oven to 350
    Slice potatoes, peels and all. Thin slices are preferable
    Place one layer or potato slices in a cake pan, add a handful of shredded cheese, repeat until pan is full. If using sasuage, slice it thin and add it in the next to last layer.
    Pour liquid, cream or half and half, into pan until pan is 1/2 full of liquid. Bake at 35o for 90min, or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.

-Prinz

• Like x 6
  18. PrinzVyper

PrinzVyper "Cum cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus."

Prinz's Easy Budget Chilli

Warning 1: This recipe is about being on a budget and making something tasty.
    Warning 2: This is not vegan-friendly.
    Warning 3: You will need a big pot for this. I bought a 5-gallon stainless tamale steamer about a year ago, it cost under $20, and I keep finding uses for it. A big pot is a good investment.

In the Store: Okay, first you will need dry beans. I recommend black, red, and kidney beans for this, avoid pinto and navy beans, unless there is a great sale on them. A mix of all 3 is good. Then you will need beef bouillon cubes, you can use pre-made stock, but the cubes a much less expensive., buy 2-4 boxes, depending on the amount of beans you bought. Then meat, you can use pretty much whatever beef and/or pork is on sale. I also like to add a spicy sausage, andouille is best, but unless you live in the south it can be pricey. Buy a bulb of fresh garlic, and an onion. For spices you can just buy a chili kit or pre-packaged chili mix, they are usually around $1-$2, buy 2. Then buy a can of tomato paste, and your favorite brand of chunky salsa, I use Pace Medium., buy a large jar. Last, if you like your chili spicy, buy a can of pickled jalapenos, you can buy a large can in the international section for not very much money.

Preparation: Dissolve the bullion in a big pot of hot water, use enough of the cubes for the amount of water, let cool. add dry beans. add water until beans are covered by at least 3 inches of liquid. Soak beans overnight. The next day: Pour out liquid from beans. Rinse the beans in clear water, rinse thoroughly. Use a colander for this if you have one. return beans to the pot, add water to 2 or 3 inches over the beans, add remaining bullion. Cook on low heat until beans are tender. drain liquid and reserve some. In a hot skillet sear you meats(s). Dices a few cloves of garlic (to taste), dice the onion. Add meat, beans, onion, garlic, tomato paste, and salsa to pot, add reserved liquid until beans are barely covered. Add jalapenos to taste. cook on low for at least an hour, and up to 4 hours. Taste every hour or so and add garlic and jalapenos to taste. Enjoy!

Leftovers: This recipe makes a lot of food. Place leftovers in zipper type freezer bags and freeze. When reheating do so on the stove, at low heat. Do Not Microwave!

• Like x 6
  19. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

1/2 cup of just-add-water pancake mix + 1 packet ridiculous but tasty flavored instant oatmeal + water = MAPLE BACON OATMEAL PANCAKES

ugh god they were so good and I'm finally getting the hang of judging when it's time to flip and the edges were crispy and the middles were fluffy and ugggggghhhh yes

• Like x 6
  20. Inkblot

Inkblot I'M GOING TO THE LOST CAUSE PIT, MA

*looks at pancake mix* *looks at apple-cinnamon oatmeal*
    Well, that's breakfast tomorrow!

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice