Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, I was planning to try it with applesauce if I made another attempt. Anyone know the egg yolks -> applesauce conversion rate?

2. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I'm moving soon so I'm trying use up stuff in my freezer. I've got ideas for everything but the two pounds of ground beef I have, because most of my recipes are for cooler weather and it's 90s every day here and my a/c can't keep up. Anybody have any recipes for me without lots of time with the stove or oven on? Preferably gluten free because boyfriend has celiac's, although if it has flour as a thickener or breader or something I can substitute.

3. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

if you have a slow cooker you could let it do its thing without standing right over the heat?

4. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I do, I'm just mostly concerned about heating the whole house up. Slow cooker should work for that, though, ty.

5. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I would also vote for slow cooker. maybe something like sloppy joes where you can let the cooked meat cool down before you eat it, too?

• Agree x 1
  6. LadyNighteyes

You can also make chili in a slow cooker, if that's your thing.

7. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I typically use 1/4 C applesauce to 1 egg. once I hit 3 eggs I usually add an extra 1/4 C to make it an even 1 C of applesauce. the texture is different (obviously applesauce doesn't have the same proteins as eggs do, to bind things) but it's still tasty nonetheless. usually if it's cookies, i find they end up a little cakier.

• Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I work at Whole Foods and last week a wonderful coworker of mine printed out a copy of their pancake recipe for me on the sly, so here you go, you can stop paying $9.49 a pound for these things:

Ingredients
    1 cup all purpose unbleached flour
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    0.5 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 large egg
    1 cup whole buttermilk
    2 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3 tbsp expeller pressed canola oil

1. combine dry ingredients
    2. whisk wet ingredients together
    3. mix together wet and dry
    4. heat oil on flat top or tilt skillet
    5. drop 3 oz of batter into hot oil and cook for two minutes on each side

Recipe makes 4 pounds, which is enough for three people to eat a reasonable amount of pancake or for two people to absolutely stuff their faces. My sibling and I made them for breakfast a couple days ago and I definitely recommend the latter!

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 2
  9. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Ok, so a while ago I successfully broke my immersion blender trying to make bacon cream for a beautiful twisted bacon/puff pastry dish.
    The problem now being that I do not have anything to blend with.
    This is a problem because I got my wisdom teeth removed 5 hours ago and need some easy-and-cheapish-to-make but still edible no-chew foods over the next few days while my jaw and gums heal up enough for me to chew again.
    I do possess a potato masher.

On my list:
    - Potato puree
    - Rice congee
    - Apple sauce (prepackaged ahoy)
    - Semolina pudding

So here I'm asking, anyone else have recommendations for stuff that I can either cook so long it just sort of disintegrates if I look at it sideways and doesn't taste bland af after that, or naturally comes out mushy enough?

(Note: Can't get Campbell's tomtato soup and our local canned ones taste bleh unless I spice the hell out of them. Might be worth a try. I also don't have a slowcooker. I do have a stove, different pots, and a rice cooke though.)

• Witnessed x 2
  10. LadyNighteyes

When Sibling had their wisdom teeth out, they ate a lot of mac and cheese with the noodles deliberately slightly overcooked.

Oatmeal is also potentially an option?

• Like x 1
  11. Everett

Tomato, being acidic, might not be a great idea for wisdom teeth recovery. I dont recall whether it like, hurts to eat but mentioning it just in case.

Seconding oatmeal, especially with frozen fruit like strawberries thrown in for the last few minutes. Basically becomes mush but, like, sweetened mush.

• Like x 1
  12. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I also just got my wisdom teeth removed and, so far, I've been surviving on milkshakes. What I'm planning to do now that the blender is fixed is making banana/peanut butter smoothies, though, that's probably healthier.

• Like x 1
  13. winterykite

Not allowed to eat milk products until tomorrow, something something lactic acid bacteria.

hope your mouth heals up without complications ::3

14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I have a bean and hominy stew which is delicious, mushy, and easy to make! This thing makes a lot of leftovers, so you'll either have lunch for a week or freezer stew for later.

Ingredients:
    Equal parts canned black beans and canned hominy. I usually do one big can hominy and two cans of beans. Don't drain the cans, the liquid is good.
    Half a can to a full can of diced tomatoes
    Cubed pumpkin or squash - effort intensive if you cut it yourself, but a lot of supermarkets sell pre-cubed butternut in the produce or frozen sections
    Brown sugar to taste - I start with a couple tablespoons and go from there
    Cumin to taste, about a tablespoon
    Smoked chipotle or paprika (optional)
    Salt

Throw it all in a big pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for a couple hours, stirring occasionally, until it achieves the texture you want. You'll probably need to add some extra water so it doesn't burn. Good with goat cheese and/or cornbread!

• Like x 2
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Id actually be careful of stuff with lots of extra bits in it like soup or oatmeal, its gross to think about but you gotta be careful not to get stuff in your new mouth pits before they heal properly

• Agree x 1
  16. Everett

In reality i think i just drank a lot of Ensure or Boost or whatever, and melted ice cream a few times. It was years ago so i forget but yeah

17. Irrational Geographic

Irrational Geographic i am merely a vessel through which the posts flow

I made lemon butter chicken today!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Winner x 6
    • Like x 4
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Lemon butter chicken sounds good!

Re: wisdom teeth, yeah, avoid oatmeal and similar "coarse" foods for a little while. Especially if you had a) lower teeth removed (gravity tends to collect things in those sockets) and/or b) teeth that had not erupted/needed more work to remove, like impacted teeth, because those will leave larger empty spaces and have more room for stuff to collect. Dry sockets are pretty painful and you really want to avoid them if possible. I got a dry socket at the site of the worst tooth (was growing in sideways and could not emerge) and it extended my recovery time by like a week.

Some things I did:
    - Mashed potatoes, no skin (either mashed very well or pureed); if you can't have dairy, you can make them with chicken or vegetable broth instead, or use milk subs. If you can have dairy, I recommend adding plain Greek yogurt, which ups the protein content and gives them a lovely tangy flavor
    - Gently scrambled eggs (very good when I was craving protein and salt and fat and tired of eating sweet things); eggs also digest really really well, so you don't have to do much chewing
    - Smooth peanut butter by itself (I just let it kind of dissolve in my mouth)
    - Pureed and strained squash soups
    - Overcooked pasta (I'd save this for a bit later in the healing process), sometimes with melted cheese (obviously avoid if dairy is a no-go)
    - Instant oatmeal (once again, save this for later in healing); it usually comes out softer than homemade oatmeal
    - Very soft bread with toppings
    - Sweet things: pudding, jello, ice cream/gelato/frozen yogurt
    - Lots of water, some herbal teas

Things I didn't do but might be good:
    - Risotto? I'm a little dubious about it because of the rice (which seems like it could get into a socket and cause issues), but it's so well-cooked it might be okay
    - Chawanmushi, if you're up for making it; obviously leave out stuff you can't eat (it's a savory egg custard)
    - Avocado, either by itself or mashed up with flavoring
    - Very well-blended fruit smoothies

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. winterykite

Thanks everyone!

@Saro:
    None broken through, and I got all 4 removed. They were fucking up the alignment of my other teeth...
    I can have dairy as of today, it's just the first day when the wound is still fresh that I was supposed to keep from adding lactic acid bacteria.
    Risotto should be fine, I got the clear for rice congee from my surgeon.

It really seems I need to get a new blender...

20. LadyNighteyes

I accidentally fell down a Youtube cooking video rabbit hole and found out from Gordon Ramsay that I've been chopping bell peppers wrong this whole time.

I need to try to remember that next time I'm making jambalaya.

• Winner x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice