Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I normally have a bagel and cream cheese in the morning. Toasted everything bagel, smoked salmon cream cheese, capers on one of the halves. I am not a morning person and cannot face decisions.

But! When I'm feeling ambitious, I'll make French Toast.

For two people:
    • four pieces bread
    • an egg
    • milk
    • cinnamon
    • nutmeg
    • vanilla (optional)
    • sugar (optional)
    • butter and powdered sugar or fruit for topping (optional)
    Preheat a pan to medium-high, and while it's preheating mix together the egg, milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg - and sugar and vanilla if you're using them - with a fork in a flat-bottomed bowl. Dip the bread in the stuff, wetting each side, and drop it in the pan. Cook a couple minutes on each side until golden brown.

It's pretty quick, and tastes delicious and kind of fancy.

2. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

When I was in the States I always got a little horrified by the size of everyone's breakfast dishes, and i was in NYC! We usually got one pancake plate for the group (4-6 people) and a bit of bacon and fruits from the buffet of the breakfast place near the hotel, after the first day when everyone ordered their own thing and we wasted an entire morning just trying to shove everything down (cause wasting food is bad and dollars are expensive).

Brazil is also only recently urbanized, but we usually have a light breakfast, huge lunch, and late dinner. I think it's because days here are long, and it's basically impossible to be outside during noon in the summer. So around 11:30 they'd stop working, get their lunch boxes (so-called bóia fria), take a nap and then go back to work when the sun was a bit weaker. I mean, this is a place where you get 100ºF at seven AM and sunlight until 9pm, not counting daylight savings time. so it kind of translated into our general relationship with food, i guess. No one I know, even people who do physical labor (say, construction workers) ats a lot for breakfast, but they do love their enormous prato-feitos. rice, beans, beef, fried potatoes and fried egg, sunny side up!

American and European coffee is weak as crap, though, almost like tea. i don't know how anyone can live like that.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

yeah, the temperature thing p much explains it. in the winter, people who are working outside all day in the cold will sometimes literally just drink a cup of melted butter or a cup of maple syrup, because otherwise it's impossible to get enough calories to keep warm. hiking or cross country skiing on a cold day burns 500 calories an hour. heavy work, like logging, farm work, working a crab boat, etc., burns 1000 calories an hour.

as for those monster restaurant breakfasts, people do generally tend to share them; at least, seebs and i usually split one and even so we don't finish it. but if somebody's going to be doing road work or something and it's -20 out? oh hell yeah they need 3 eggs, 4 pancakes, 4 sausages, 2 pieces of toast, a fruit cup, and a pint of orange juice. and they'll eat a double decker hamburger for lunch, too, and they still won't get fat.

i'm... a little jealous. i used to be able to work that hard. i feel old. ;_;

4. witchknights

my gallbladder stones just had a seizure at the thought of drinking melted butter. people are amazing, and I don't think my brain can even conceive the thought of -20F; i've never even been in the same neighbourhood as snow, and if we get 32F here it is a miracle of our lord and savior jesus christ and also we are declaring an state-wide emergency alert. a friend from the north was clad head to toe in wool the last time she faced 60F weather.

5. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Yeah, when I was a kid running around outside at dog sled races in -40° (scale does not matter because this temperature is the same on both and abjectly miserable), I think the only reason I wasn't constantly starving is the steady stream of hot chocolate everyone kept giving me. I wasn't even doing much - I was actually cargo on one run - but staying functional at that temperature took some work. The only restaurant in the only local town had, like, three scales of meal: kids menu, summer/seniors/people on diets (soup or sandwiches, mostly), and MOTHERFUCKING HUGE.

• Like x 1
  6. jacktrash

drinking melted butter sounds like the most disgusting thing ever until you've spent a morning cutting brush in the freezing drizzle, and then you try it and you're like THANK GOD I WILL LIVE NOW.

• Like x 3
  7. witchknights

.... so, like, pineapple juice?
    eta: i had no idea, emotionally speaking, that human beings were able to survive -40. i will now swear to never again laugh at heatstroke alerts for what turns out to be 20C.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    • Like x 2
  8. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

pineapple juic is fucking amazing and my favorite thing ever AND HAVE YOU HAD THE STUPID PINEAPPLE WHIP THINGS AT DISNEYLAND AT THE TIKI ROOM BECAUSE IF NOT YOU MUST.

9. witchknights

i havent (sadly, never been to disney-anything in america)!! is ithere perhaps a copycat recipe available?

10. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I have no idea but I should try and find out.

11. jacktrash

i haven't had them either (last went to disneyland 30 years ago) and am curious, so if you could find a recipe that'd be fabulous.

12. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Here have a quick and yummy pasta recipe!
    Get the five minute angel hair pasta
    Get bay leaves
    get thyme
    get salt
    Get a stick of butter
    Get two small pots
    Fill a pot with water, put salt in it, put a bay leaf in it, put a little bit of butter and a little bit of thyme. Boil.
    Throw in your pasta once it's boiling, but put some of the water in a separate pot with another bay leaf, some more thyme, and more butter. Put all that on low and mix it.
    When the pasta is done, throw it in that pot and tada!

13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

So, I have strawberries that were on sale because they´re in the "eat right now" stage, and I need something to do with them. I don´t want to eat them plain cause well, thy´re a lil overripe. @jacktrash suggested posting here so, ideas?

14. emythos

Strawberry shortcake?

• Like x 1
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I've been meaning to try this when I come into possession of some strawberries... (the vanilla is extra, you could probably just drizzle some extract over if you haven't got vanilla bean because $$$ yeesh)

• Like x 2
  16. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

^Oh my, I think I need to try that. Tossing vanilla extract along with the sugar and berries should do it.

• Like x 2
  17. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

those strawberries are the ost tasty thing ever they are glorious. I use a recipe from the same blog with those strawberries to make strawberry banana cake bread that is THE BEST EVER

19. emythos

Dang it, now I wish I'd picked up strawberries when I went to the grocery store, because that looks delicious.

20. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Preliminary report: Vanilla roasted strawberries are indeed delish. However, be generous with your sugar, they become kinda tart otherwise. Also they create a LOT of juice. I roasted mine in a muffinpan and was quite glad, because that syrup is too yummy to waste.
    Am currently testing a muffin recipe with them. Will report results.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice