Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Quick/low effort autumny meal:

Ingredients: hokkaido pumpkin, buttermilk, oil, spices

grab a hokkaido pumpkin (no peeling!) and butcher it into slices of your preferred size. (I find that half a decently sized pumpkin is plenty for myself but ymmv)
    Get your oven preheated to 175°C while your pumpkin is getting disassembled.
    Grab some oil and mix spices into it as you enjoy them (personal standard: salt, pepper, curry powder). Lay your pumpkin slices out on a lined baking sheet and paint them with the oil.
    Pop that into the oven for 10-15 minutes, then flip your slices over, paint the other side with the remaining oil, pop them back in for another ten minutes or until tender (depending on size of pumpkin slice)
    During the final baking, grab your buttermilk. About 100ml should be enough. Just pour that into whatever container your oil was in, no need to dirty an extra dish. Add spices to your liking, stir them in and wait for the oven timer to yell at you.
    Lob your pumpkin onto a plate, pour your buttermilk sauce over it and dig in! The pumpkin should be tender enough that you can just slice it apart with a fork.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    • Like x 5
  2. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Oysters are a lot more delicate than shiitakes, which have a pretty dense and robust texture. They shouldn't be slimy if you're frying them, at least in my experience. As for flavor, there's probably not going to be too much difference, at least not enough to make it a problem to sub. They taste different, but the base mushroom flavor is still there, and since it's just a garnish it won't be changing the flavor of the whole dish.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

@Saro thank you for the advice! Tried this and it was excellent - the shiitakes were quite meaty in flavour, but that meant I didn't have to crumble bacon on top.

IMG_1128.JPG

Recipe:

With the exception that I didn't faff with sieving it, just whizzed it with a stick blender.

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 2
  4. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

i made stirfry!
    weird stirfry. honey soy chicken stirfry with like, onion and bok choy and broccoli and salami.

• Like x 5
  5. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

No spoons dessert:

250g mascarpone cheese
    2 tbsp unsweetened (Dutch) cocoa
    1-1.5 tbsp sweetener of choice, according to taste
    1 shot (20-30ml) Italian espresso
    1 capful whisky (had Famous Grouse on hand, it was fine)
    1 tsp double (heavy) cream

Blend together, or stir by hand if you feel masochistic, until an even colour and texture is achieved - it should be stiff enough to spoon without running. Serve into individual dessert dishes and grate over 1 square (10g) 85% cocoa solid chocolate if you want to be fancy-ish. Eat.

• Useful x 4
    • Like x 2
  6. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

i have a self-saucing pudding/cake thing recipe

requires: one bowl/large bowl-cup thing (bowl-cup is best because of the handle)
    1 egg
    25 g butter
    some milk
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    a bit less than 2/3s of a cup of sugar
    2/3s cup flour
    a pinch of baking powder
    a smaller pinch of salt

get the dry ingredients into the bowl-maybe sift the sugar to make it easier to stir but this isn't required

stir

melt the butter in the cup you used to measure the flour and sugar
    pour into the bowl
    stir again
    add some milk to the cup to cool it down, then pour that into the bowl
    add egg to cup (if you are 100% sure the egg is good and that you will not get shell in your cake if you crack it directly into the bowl feel free)
    add to bowl
    stir

continue adding milk and stirring until you have a liquid batter with no big patches of flour at the bottom

put in microwave on medium-high power for 2:30
    ideally there should be sauce at the bottom/sides (just below the top)

depending on the bowl however you have may have: a patch of sauce at the top as well; all the sauce in a column in the middle; no sauce because the cake is slightly overcooked; or way too much sauce because the cake is undercooked and needs another 15 seconds

ETA: obviously, adjust cooking times next time if your cake is over- or under-cooked

you can tell if you have sauce under your cake by using a spoon to sort of pull the cake away from the side of the bowl

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    • Useful x 5
    • Like x 2
  7. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

I made two mini apple pies with the leftover crust from my pumpkin pie, because I automatically made enough crust for there to be a top crust too.
    upload_2017-11-2_12-49-29.jpeg (I ate one before I thought to take a picture.)

And it turns out that even though it starts out more yellowish, once baked, white pumpkin pie looks mostly the same as regular pumpkin pie.
    upload_2017-11-2_12-52-18.jpeg (The first time I baked the pumpkin itself it went from off-white to yellow, so maybe that's just how it works? Maybe it's the other ingredients. Idk.)

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Update: to the surprise of no one, it's superior when you saute some garlic in the pan at the start and add some cheese at the end. I also diced in a cayenne pepper, since we happened to have some lying around.

• Winner x 4
  9. Jean

I'm trying to make brownies with a recipe I found off the internet, so who knows how well that will work out. For some reason neither the Batterwitch cookbook nor the Meta Givens cookbook had a brownie recipe, which is really weird to me.

In any case, it's my first try at brownies at all and my first time eating brownies that are not from a box. We shall see.

• Like x 1
  10. Jean

Success!
    upload_2017-11-3_17-14-24.jpeg

I'll report on how it tasted after this thing I'm going to is over.

EDIT: it turned out great!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    • Winner x 10
  11. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Can someone maybe help me find a recipe for a treat I could make and bring to a small at-work Christmas gathering that a coworker with dietary restrictions could eat?

She says she can eat meat, vegetables and fruit safely. Wheat and dairy is a no (unless in negligible amounts-And something like coconut flour would work as a substitution ). Nuts and seeds no unless quite small amounts. She says she mostly operates under the Paleo Diet to an extent.

Mind you she can 'cheat' and not be severely ill, I'd just like to try and make something as safe as possible.

12. LadyNighteyes

Are eggs okay?

My first thought is coconut macaroons- a lot of recipes use sweetened condensed milk, but not all of them, and they're pretty easy.

13. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Eggs should be safe! (Short reply, on mobile)

14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Is rice a no?

15. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

my first thought is rice krispie squares

16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

With paleo, isn't sugar a no?

• Informative x 1
  17. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

you could do meringue cookies, those are sugar, eggs, and air. With a negligible amount of cream of tartar, and a dash of salt.

[Edit:] This is a similar recipe to what i use. I recommend you make them the night before, shut the oven off when you finish cooking and leave them in there overnight if you do this. It helps get the cookies properly dry.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  18. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Belatedly I... THINK rice is okay on her? And gdi today would have been the perfect chance to see since we had teriyaki at the staff meeting but I wasn't sitting by her so I didn't see if she put rice on her plate, orz

19. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I was thinking something like those 'chopped nuts and dried fruits held together with chocolate in little heaps' ? Looks like this and can be made with any combo of nuts, fruits, chocolate and spices you desire. (They are also often made with cornflakes but i have made them with chopped almonds before to excellent effects)

(You basically just melt your chocolate, dump in your 'fillings', steer, put it in heaps on a lined baking tray and let it dry/firm up)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    • Like x 1
  20. LadyNighteyes

If you want savory instead of sweet, could also do, like, marinated vegetables or something. Or look up gluten-free hors d'oeuvres recipes- there's a lot of "wrap Thing in prosciutto/bacon and put it on a stick" type recipes that would work.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice