Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

My assumption - adding pectin will cool the mixture, and you'll need to wait to let it boil again.

Supposedly plastic wrap is heat-resistant up to around 250 F, but you might check your package to see if it says anywhere.

• Useful x 1
  2. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

yeah when something says 'return to the boil' it's assuming that whatever you just added will bring the mix down to below boiling and you should let it come back up to the boil. this is often followed up by reducing it down to a simmer so it doesn't boil itself to death, just cooks nicely until done. for a jello (jam?) recipe, bringing it back to the boil is probably meant to ensure that everything gets thoroughly dissolved and mixed together.

I'd let your mixture cool until it's hot to the touch but not uncomfortable before pouring onto plastic wrap, if that's possible. it can get weird when too much heat is applied.

3. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

a tip: you know those big bottles of marinade? stuff like teriyaki marinade and the like that sounds like it'd be great as a sauce?

in, at the very least, stirfry, you can use them as sauce

it's labelled marinade but it also works as sauce

• Informative x 5
  4. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

at least one of the stir fry sauces i buy has "Can also be used as a marinade!" right on the label.

5. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Microwave fudge. https://showmetheyummy.com/easy-chocolate-fudge/
    Ingredients:
    1 pound bag of powdered sugar (sifted)
    1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
    1 stick unsalted butter cubed into small chunks
    1/4 cup chocolate (or regular) milk
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
    Instructions
    1. Line a 6 x 8 (or similar sized) glass pan with plastic wrap or wax paper misted very lightly with cooking spray.
    2. Put all ingredients, excluding vanilla and optional nuts, into a bowl.
    3. Microwave for 90 seconds.
    4. Whisk until smooth.
    5. Whisk in vanilla and optional nuts.
    6. Pour into prepared pan, cover, and chill in the refrigerator until set

• Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I made roasted garlic chicken, garlic roasted brussel sprouts, and rice today! It's yummy.

IMG_20171206_023816.jpg

• Winner x 11
  7. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I made 'taco shells'

IMG_1167.JPG

Recipe
    • shredded mozzarella cheese
    • that's it that's the recipe
    Heat a frying pan without oil, sprinkle cheese over in a thin layer, use a spatula to tidy the melting edges, wait until you see the edges brown, flip over with spatula for 30 seconds, drape over a wooden spoon suspended over a large bowl or pan for that folded taco shape and wait until it's cool enough to handle before stuffing with your choice of fillings

We went for salad, creme fraiche, avocado and shredded smoked ham, it was super tasty and crunchy and also a single taco was very large because we don't seem to possess a moderately-sized pan

Yep that's more cheese on top, fight me

• Winner x 10
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

That reminds me of chupaquesos.

• Like x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  9. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I spent half this weekend making hot chocolate mix, so here is the recipe I was using, retrieved from somebody on the internet after my grandma's recipe went missing. Grandma couldn't tell the difference.

1 c powdered milk
    1/2 c sugar (powdered sugar looks better, but granulated tastes the same)
    1/4 c cocoa powder (I usually make it more of a heaping 1/4c, because I like dark chocolate)
    pinch of salt

Just mix it all up. It's a 1/4 c mix per cup of hot water or milk.

Optional but highly recommended: add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cardamom, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg.

• Winner x 4
    • Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I wanted something sweet and didn’t have enough powdered sugar for the fudge, and didn’t have the energy to go to the store so I made a mug brownie. http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/microwave-chocolate-mug-brownie-349246

2 tablespoons melted butter or oil
    2 tablespoons water or milk
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 dash salt
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    4 tablespoons flour

1. In a coffee mug, add water/milk, melted butter/oil, a dash of salt and vanilla extract. Whisk well.
    2. Add cocoa powder, whisk well. Add sugar, whisk well. Add flour, whisk well.
    3. Microwave for 60 seconds. Center should be slightly molten. Careful not to overcook.

• Like x 3
    • Useful x 1
  11. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

Man i have made like 15 loaves of sourdough bread in the past 4 weeks and only JUST NOW (3 days ago) FOUND OUT THAT WE HAVE A BREAD MACHINE

I could have saved so much time kneading....... SO MUCH.................

• Witnessed x 8
    • Winner x 1
  12. Jojo

Jojo Writin and fightin

Update i just made the bitchinest sourdough bread in history

• Winner x 8
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

14. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

For a second I thought you said 'bitchiest' and I was like 'damn, that must be some sour bread! What's your secret?'

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  15. chthonicfatigue

A half-tablespoon of mascarpone cheese added to your scrambled eggs last minute will make them INCREDIBLY DECADENT AND CREAMY - especially if you flake hot-smoked salmon through it first.

• Winner x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  16. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

gonna try and make two things for dessert tomorrow with the family- an apple-cranberry crisp, which I plan on making ahead of time at the house EXCEPT then once it's in the pan and ready to be baked, putting it in the fridge and taking that to my aunt's house to be baked there (so it'll be hot and ready after dinner)- any reason I shouldn't do that? Should I wait to put the topping mixture on till I'm about to put it in the oven, or will it be fine if I put the topping on and then it waits in the fridge with the rest for a while?

second thing is gonna be a dark chocolate bark with candied ginger and pomegranate seeds- any tips on melting chocolate in a microwave? Did my research on pomegranates so even tho I've never held nor eaten any I'm confident I can get the seeds out fine- my only other concern is how to make sure the ginger gets evenly distributed, since I'm not putting much in- only a tablespoon and a half for a 8x10 section of bark- and I'm worried it'll clump, stick together and end up mostly in one area.

17. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

you don't need to use the microwave, if you have 2 bowls you can put hot water in one and the chocolate in the other and then put the chocolate bowl in the hot water bowl

18. chthonicfatigue

Easiest damn pancakes ever!

3 tbsp smooth peanut butter (you could use crunchy for texture, if you liked)
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 large egg
    Sweetener to taste (I used just under 1 tsp Natvia, which is erythritol and stevia)
    Double cream to thin out batter (about 1 tbsp)

Mix it all up, griddle it - they still do that normal thing drop scones do, forming bubbles once one side's pretty much cooked.
    Top with whatever you like - we buttered them, dolloped clotted cream and sliced some strawberries on top (highly recommended).

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  19. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

I've taken to making milk tea. I found a bomb recipe for milk tea Taiwanese style.

- 2 bags of tea (I recommend the Red Rose Original, but I tried it with orange spicrd black tea and that was good too)
    - 3 1/2 tablespoons of liquid coffee creamer. Non dairy works fine!
    - 2 cubes of ice
    - sugar or sweetener (however much you prefer)

First, you're gonna wanna heat some water.

Next, steep the tea for about 5 minutes.

Put the tea in the fridge to cool - no set time, just till it's not hot anymore

Now, add the 3 1/2 tablespoons creamer into a sealable container. I was recommended to use a cocktail shaker, but I've been using a big plastic container I think is meant to hold a drink for picnics.

Add the ice and sweetener into the container.

Pour the tea in on top of the ice and creamer. Shake the container until the outside is cold and you can't hear the ice cubes clinking anymore.

That's it!

*note: you can play around with the amounts of creamer. If you don't like dairy all that well, two tablespoons should work. If you love extra-creamy milk tea, you could probably go five tablespoons! It's whatever's best for you.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  20. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Making these things, with a few changes: I don't have unsalted butter, so I'm using salted instead; I don't have rum and I don't like the way it tastes anyway, so I used apple cider instead (it seemed like a good idea at the time); and I don't have beeswax so I just used cupcake liners. So I guess it won't be crispy. Oh well, this is mostly just so I can use my egg yolks up. I am not fussed if it doesn't turn out the way it's supposed to.

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice