Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Just put two pizza slices together and grill them. I think that technically counts.

• Agree x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Guess who made salted caramel ice cream!

IMG_1286.JPG

Topped with chopped roasted hazelnuts and a small scoop of chocolate chips.

• Winner x 14
  3. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Onw to steal your ice cream. This loojs delicious.

• Agree x 3
  4. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

today I decided to try and make myself some omurice! it... went kind of badly since I have zero practice with omelettes but I didn't burn anything and everything is still edible + delicious so I guess it's still a success even if the omelette is all broken to fuck and I used way too much rice!! hopefully next attempt goes a bit better...

• Like x 3
  5. whyguy

whyguy blarg

I'm so glad I have a working rice cooker so I can make rice cooker recipes now ;w;

tonight I threw together a cup of rice with a can each of black beans, fire roasted corn, and diced tomatoes with green chilis. I drained the corn and beans, but left the water in the tomatoes. I also added a cup of water with a tablespoon of chicken better than bouillon mixed in. I added about... eh a fourth of a palm full of dried cilantro, garlic powder, and berbere because I don't have any cumin on hand.

turned out really yummy! kind of like a more tasty chipotle bowl with a vague hint of ethiopian spice.

• Like x 6
    • Useful x 1
  6. Misty Pond

second attempt at omurice went lots better than the first, but I undercooked the omelette and then transferred it to the plate weirdly so now it's kind of hard to eat without the rice all spilling out... it's still really delicious though!! and folding the omelette over the rice went a whole lot smoother this time, I'm pretty happy about that

should try and see if I can do a cute little ketchup decoration on the omelette next time too...

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  7. Misty Pond

third omurice attempt: went so well!! omelette was cooked better this time, I folded it over the rice almost perfectly, and topped it off with a little ketchup! (I didn't do any fancy writing, just a scribble) think I'll use a bit less ketchup in the future, it's quite a strong contrast to the most subtle egg+rice flavors... but I really love this dish, it takes a bit of prep but it's really easy to learn and make, and getting a good omelette has been a pretty fun challenge, and of course it's so delicious!! really worth it even if it tends to disappear quickly (then again I guess it's Just That Good)

now I just gotta figure out how to eat it without spilling the rice all over my plate...

• Winner x 5
  8. Misty Pond

cheesecake is a blessing from the gods. lemon flavor especially

• Agree x 4
  9. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

I found a dutch baby recipe on the internet and I'm making it. I'll be back with results!

• Like x 2
  10. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Pretty good. Would have been better with finer flour and more eggs, I think.
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 2
  11. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

the picture doesn't work for me.

• Agree x 3
  12. Misty Pond

washing rice is so soothing and calming

• Like x 2
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

@Jean thank you for making me aware of what a Dutch baby is, this is my new favorite most delicious breakfast. My sibling made one with apples yesterday and I just made one with pears that’s in the oven right now :D

• Winner x 4
  14. Misty Pond

made japanese curry rice for dinner tonight! ugh, it takes so much effort (I'm sore from all the standing I had to do, ugh) but it's so worth the workout...so delicious and filling!! made a big batch of a veg curry with potatoes, carrots, and apples--sweet and savory with a spicy flair, would def recommend

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  15. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

what recipe did you use?

16. Misty Pond

pretty much the one on the back of the box of curry roux I usually use (s&b golden curry ftr), which goes something like:
    • cut potatoes and stuff into little pieces (I just eyeball it most of the time and use like a few small potatoes and one or two carrots, and then go for an equal amount of potato and carrot pieces. you only need one apple if you're putting in apple)
    • add to large pot of water (about 1 cup per serve or enough to cover contents--I usually do three cups, and that gives me one immediate serve to eat and then two to eat later) and bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 15ish minutes or until everything's cooked through and soft
    • turn off heat, break up curry roux into pieces and stir into the pot until melted, then simmer pot uncovered for another 10 minutes while stirring frequently
    recipe calls for frying cut onions in the pot before adding water+contents, but I tend to skip that step and leave out the onion because the curry's already enough effort for me. when cooking rice at the same time, I prepare the rice while the vegetables and stuff are cooking, and then cook it while simmering the curry during the last step

-

unrelated to curry: my dad made ginger slice with lemon icing and it's soooo good

• Like x 1
  17. whyguy

whyguy blarg

adding onto the japanese curry ideas!

when I want to do really really low effort box japanese curry, I reheat a bag of frozen mix veg and throw that into the boiling water, and open cans of chicken, and then add in the curry roux. basically no prep time, takes about as long as it takes to boil the water and melt the roux together.

when I want to make a really HIGH effort japanese curry dish, I start making a standard risotto on the stove (cook diced onions until translucent, add cup of rice and toast for a little bit, add a cup of white wine/white grape juice and stir until rice mostly absorbs it, then switch to chicken broth until rice is cooked and creamy. takes about 20 min of stirring) I usually incorporate mushrooms and chopped up carrots or something like that early on in the stirring process. and then once the rice is ready, instead of finishing it off with parmesan like normal, I add in half a package of curry roux with the heat off and stir until it melt in.

comes out creamy and hearty and yummy.

oh, also I like topping most curries with dried cranberries. c:

• Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
  18. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

So since I got on meds to control my Crohn's Disease, food has been *amazing* and I want to eat it all. And I have all the energy in the world to shop, prep and cook whatever I want. There is literally nothing preventing me from having fresh muffins any time I like.

I can just go to the store and get a £3.50 matured Angus beef steak, cook it up on the skillet and have the skillet cleaned up by the time it's done resting. And then think to myself "next time I should get fresh parsley and try making chimichurri with this!".

I have decided to try my hand at karaage and the most difficult part is where it says to "let sit for at least 1 hour". (Man, the marinade smells amazing.)

I don't know if this much happiness is allowed for one person.

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 2
  19. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Update: the kitchen is covered in corn starch and most of my cooking oil is no longer useable

it was worth it

Karaage is delicious

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  20. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

IMG_1296.JPG

Coconut ice cream!

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice