Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I made nachos for dinner tonight! made a pretty simple version, just corn chips + chilli beans + sour cream + strong cheese = deliciousness

honestly is there a more comforting food in the world?? I think not

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  2. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

today i made alpaca mince stirfry for dinner!
    it has bok choy and garlic and spring onion and carrot and black pepper and rosemary and cumin and cardamon and soy sauce and a bit of chili flakes and it is really good

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  3. Misty Pond

I made omurice for lunch again, and this time I managed to finally make a perfect omelette!!! folded right over the rice with no breakages whatsoever!! I finally did it I climbed this whole mountain

now I just gotta figure out how to eat it without making such a mess...should experiment with sticker rice maybe

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  4. Misty Pond

made curry noodles for dinner! pretty low-effort job, I just melted a serve of pre-made curry made on monday, and then used instant noodles--I made the noodles as normal, then mixed the broth into the curry before stirring in the noodles. one day I might try using some authentic japanese noodles, but until then this suffices quite nicely when there's no cooked rice to use and I'm feeling lazy

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Misty Pond

my dad makes the best stir-fries tbh...we had chicken+cashew stir-fry tonight and it was delish, so many flavors because he chucks a lot of stuff into the marinade for the chicken--soy sauce, ginger, onion and garlic, coriander seeds, lemon juice and sesame oil, sugar, pepper and chilli powder...and it's paired with plain white rice for that contrasting effect! makes for a really really good dinner

• Winner x 3
    • Useful x 2
  6. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Made a simple pot of stewed rhubarb for breakfast (butter, rhubarb, sweetener) and served it with a sprinkle of seven nut granola and some plain yoghurt. Was out of vanilla paste or I'd've stirred some into the yoghurt for extra flavour.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  7. Misty Pond

dad make chocolate-chip cookies today! was able to come home from work and eat them almost straight from the oven, which is even better

• Winner x 4
  8. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

OuO om nom nom nom im dying but fresh made.

[​IMG]

edit:

oh. shit. right. recipe. yes. forgot.

uh.

chopped up some cabbage, shredded a carrot, chopped up mushroom and an onion. i'd have done meat but we didn't have any and i ain't getting to store till the 9th.
    mixed into it: some soy vay (HIGHLY RECOMMEND ITS DELICIOUS but if you don't have any just substitute w/ a lil bit of teriyaki sauce), soy sauce, chili powder, salt, pepper, fat tablespoon of garlic paste and ginger paste, healthy splash of rice vinegar. Left it in bowl in fridge for like... 30ish minutes to rest.

stuffed dumpling skins, folded best i could. heated frying pan w/ some oil I'd dribbled in and shoved around. set them in folded side to the sky. waited till bottom was fried and crispy. flopped them to their sides bc I felt like it, then added some water and turned the heat down for a few minutes to finish cooking them.

inhaled w/ more soy vay sauce. =v=

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    • Winner x 10
  9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Instant pot: good for very quick and lazy soups/stews

1.5 pounds meat, couple of carrots, couple of peeled potatoes, most of an onion, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, herbage, fat for cooking, 1.5 - 2 cups stock -> saute chopped onion with saute function using cooking fat until soft, put chopped other ingredients in pot, mix, put on Manual High for 10 minutes, cook, let depressurize for 10 minutes, vent manually, mix, season to taste with salt/pepper/etc if need be. More liquid = more soupy, less = more stewlike. Replace any ingredients (although harder things/things that hold up well to pressure/slow cooking are recommended; sweet potato just kind of disintegrates)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  10. chthonicfatigue

Double chocolate ice cream (no custard method)

1 cup double cream
    1 cup whole milk
    35 grams 80% or higher dark chocolate, broken into pieces
    1 tbsp sweetener
    1 tbsp raw cacao powder
    1/2 tsp agave syrup or preferred sugar syrup
    Pinch sea salt
    2 large eggs
    1/3 vanilla bean

Whisk cream, sweetener, and half cup of milk til frothy. Gently heat other half of milk, stirring in broken chocolate, making sure it's smooth (I used a microwave for this). Let it cool a bit while you whisk in the cacao, scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean, sprinkle salt, and crack the eggs in (n.b. The UK has a really good salmonella inoculation program, so raw eggs = safe; ymmv, so be safe and make a custard if you have concerns.) Gently drizzle in the cooling chocolate-milk so the eggs don't curdle, and whisk in the syrup until fully incorporated.

Churn in ice cream maker til soft set (50 mins in our condenser machine). Sprinkle with roasted chopped hazelnuts and scoff.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Winner x 1
  11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Another good use for Instant Pot: making quick teriyaki shredded chicken

"Marinade":
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    1/4 cup rice vinegar/mirin/something vinegary
    1/4 cup honey
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp powdered ginger (you could probably do fresh if you wanted, grated or chopped fine)
    about half an onion, chopped
    couple of cloves of minced garlic
    ~2 Tbsps oil (I used a neutral veg oil, but you could probably use olive if you wanted)

Mix ingredients, put fresh or frozen chicken (~2 breasts) in the pot, pour marinade over, seal pot, cook on manual for 5 minutes (fresh chicken) or ~8~10 minutes (frozen, depends on how large your pieces are). When finished, do a fast release of pressure and check temp of chicken; if it needs more time, put lid back on and let sit on Low for a while until the temp is in the ok zone. When it is, remove chicken and shred. Add a slurry of ~ 1 Tbsp water and 1/2 Tbsp corn starch to pot, turn to Saute, bring to a boil, put the shredded chicken back in, and cook till the sauce thickens and your chicken is nicely coated.

I'm not trying to be an instant pot shill, honestly, but I've been using it more recently and I really, really like it. It's very straighforward pressure cooking and the fact that it can do other stuff, like saute and slow cook, is really nice.

ETA: I forgot: I'd put 1 Tbsp of oil in the marinade and the other I'd use to coat the bottom of the pot - my chicken stuck a little bit, and I think the oil would have helped that.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Like x 4
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

So I have a bag of chili lime beef jerky which i discovered is a bit too spicy for snacking. I kind of want to try making it into chili or something in my crockpot. Has anyone here done something similar with jerky before and would you have any advice? Current plan is to chop it up, soak it for maybe an hour beforehand, and then add it to the chili like I would any other meat. I also have some whiskey-flavored pork jerky I don’t quite like the taste of so I might toss that in too.

Alternatively, does anyone have other suggestions for what I might do with extra jerky?

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  13. Misty Pond

had pasta carbonara for dinner! don't have any authentic italian ingredients around, so I just did a mockup with bacon + cheddar + pesto, and had some sourdough bread on the side for some substance and to mop up the remaining sauce after the spaghetti was all eaten

• Winner x 2
  14. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

im so excited.. i found where the dumpling wrappers were kept in my local store, so more nom in my future is ASSURED. srsly, cut w/e you want small enough and season it nice and smash it into a wrapper and you've got Instant Tasty Things for sure. 8I I ALSO FINALLY FOUND MALT VINEGAR. FUTURE DELICIOUS BAKED FRIES DRIZZLED IN MALT VINEGAR TAKE ME AWAY and make me miss Brighton more

• Winner x 10
    • Agree x 1
  15. Azurite

Azurite Just Floating

After you've finished cooking your pancakes but haven't turned off the pan, toss in a handful of fresh blueberries and throw a lid over them. Cook for 2~5 min (I was timing them by when the eggs were done). Once they are all burst/wrinkly, apply to freshly cooked pancakes, add syrup as desired.

A very delicious discovery, I'll try it with frozen berries next time and report back.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
  16. chthonicfatigue

This is super simple but I'm proud that I did not, for once, turn an omelette into scrambled egg or frittata by over-mixing and/or overcooking.

IMG_1326.JPG

Should have take a photo before I started eating, but it only had a tiny split at the fold. It is a 5-egg pizza omelette - cheese, red onion, tomato and pepperoni with sea salt and tellicherry pepper.

• Winner x 13
  17. Inkblot

Inkblot I'M GOING TO THE LOST CAUSE PIT, MA

HNNNNGH

• Agree x 3
  18. chthonicfatigue

*is fed up, therefore experiments aggressively in kitchen*

Result: white chocolate chip matcha almond cookies
    IMG_1330.JPG

• Winner x 8
  19. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Those look delicious!

• Agree x 4
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

bred
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (the one on the left is cinnamon raisin!)

• Winner x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice