Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Omw to breadnap these

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

The recipe was actually really easy to make if you want it? It’s out of an old breadmaking cookbook my mom has

• Like x 1
  3. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I don't bake bread usually since i can't make it through a loaf on my own before it goes stale but i'd love to try the cinnamon raisin next time i'm at my parents!

4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

[​IMG]
    Book is called A World Of Breads by Dolores Casella. One cake of yeast is equal to a tablespoon (or one individual package) of dry yeast. I used less salt than the recipe called for (and marked it down because even with that alteration it was still on the verge of too salty) and added a couple extra tablespoons of honey. I’d recommend using even more honey if you just want to make cinnamon raisin bread! I also replaced about half the flour with whole wheat, and brushed the tops with an egg beaten with a couple tablespoons of milk both before baking and immediately after they came out of the oven.

If you want to make just one smaller loaf it looks like it wouldn’t be too hard to make a 1/3 recipe of this - if you used a heaping teaspoon of salt, two scant tablespoons of oil, and honey to taste, the rest should divide neatly. Idk if that would affect baking or rising time though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Informative x 4
    • Winner x 1
  5. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

did I ever post my omurice recipe here? I don't think so, but omurice is super delicious and more people should try it! this is highly tailored towards my personal tastes and abilities, a more authentic recipe with actual measurements and stuff is here (btw I highly recommend this blog for people who like japanese food and/or anime!) and there's probably more if you search 'omurice' or 'rice omelette' up
    1. get a mediumish bowl of pre-cooked rice (maybe about 1/4 or 1/2 a cup? I've never actually measured it. japanese sushi or else sticky rice is likely best; I use jasmine rice most of the time since that's what's usually around) and mix it in a bowl with 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp light/golden soy sauce, a small bunch of grated cheddar (maybe another tbsp or two in size), and season with a bit of salt and pepper. depending what I have around sometimes I add some herbs as well, or some beaten egg to help bind the mixture. mix it all up until thoroughly blended and set aside
    2. cut up about 1-2 slices of bacon into little squares (I cut the rasher into vertical strips and then cut pieces off the strips). melt a few knobs of butter or heat some cooking oil in a saucepan and then fry the bacon until it starts to brown and crisp at the edges on both sides. dump rice into the pan and stir-fry until the bacon is mixed through and everything is very hot (keep it from separating too much or drying out!) then set rice aside and cover it with something to keep the heat in
    3. I switch to a different saucepan here; if you don't have an extra, the previous saucepan can still work, but maybe try and scrub off some of the rice residue at the bottom, or fill the pan with some cold water for a few moments to loosen the residue up, so your egg won't stick as much to the pan and ruin things later. anyway, whisk 2 eggs together in a bowl until completely mixed and season with salt+pepper. heat saucepan on mid-to-low temp, melt some more butter or heat some more oil and spread around the pan, then pour in the whisked eggs
    4. cook egg mix until it's solidish on the bottom and you can move the edges from the sides of the pan with a spatula (be careful since it's fragile and can break easily). I like to loosen the omelette up a bit all-around so folding it over will be easy. uncover the rice and spread it around one half of the egg, trending towards more heaped in the middle and less around the edges if you can, then fold the other half of the egg over the rice. there's a lot of room for error here, esp if you have a lot of rice and/or under/overcooked the egg or have some rice residue on the pan, so don't worry if you break the egg while folding it or anything! it'll still be super delicious (provided nothing is burnt). I rip most of the omelettes I make this way myself, it's easy to make but just as easy to fuck up
    5. turn off heat and transfer finished omelette to a plate (I have not yet worked out a reliable way to do this without spilling anything or messing the egg up; I usually just kinda push+shake it from the pan to the plate with the spatula), drizzle with a bit of tomato ketchup to taste, and then eat! I recommend using a large spoon since the rice tends to go everywhere
    you can probably streamline steps 1 and 2 a bit by mixing the rice seasoning and cooked bacon into some hot fresh rice straight from the cooker, though I haven't yet tried that method myself. you can use whatever seasoning you like for the rice instead of cheese or soy sauce or w/e, kick the bacon and use something else like chicken or some cut-up vegetables or not, maybe heat the mixed rice in the microwave in 30 sec to 1 min portions--mixing in between--until it's steaming hot and save the saucepan for the omelette, hold the ketchup, that sort of thing. it takes me about an hour to make the omurice as described above--a little lengthy, but the recipe is easy-ish and the omurice comes out delicious enough that I think it's time and effort well-spent!

• Informative x 3
  6. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

"White chocolate" almond crust tart with vanilla mascarpone cream and strawberries, for Father's Day

"White chocolate" crust - ground almonds, coconut flour, erythritol, clarified melted butter, melted cacao butter

IMG_20180616_192305.jpg

Mascarpone cream - mascarpone, double cream, vanilla paste, a tiny amount of erythritol for sweetness
    IMG_20180617_153250.jpg

Never in my life have i appreciated a strawberry huller so much
    IMG_20180617_153216.jpg

Finished but not glazed, because I fucked up the glaze by brushing it on and accidentally getting a little mascarpone in it, oopsie, still totally edible just not as pretty
    IMG_20180617_153517.jpg

• Winner x 10
  7. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

A low spoons breakfasty thing I've figured out and am way too proud of: eggs on leftovers. Scramble eggs (with mushrooms usually, because mushrooms are great), reheat leftovers in a bowl, dump eggs into bowl, mix, nom.

This is super basic but I'm love it because I'm a huge slut for protein and this is more yum than just drinking one of my shakes. Only tried it with a couple leftovers though, so it might not work with everything.

• Like x 4
    • Useful x 2
  8. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

found a real good sheperds pie recipe

you get your mince and you add tumeric, ginger, garam masara, pepper, a few shakes of chili flakes, rosemary, cinnamon, soy sauce and nutmeg
    also carrots and onion

brown the mince, boil some chopped potatoes, mash them with a bit of milk and butter and pepper and cheese

add garlic and quick-to-cook veges to mince (in this case, peas and corn from one of those bags of frozen peas and corn), put in baking dish, cover with mashed potato, bake on medium heat

• Like x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

i measured nothing not even time so it's more 'guidelines' also i forgot to add the cinnamon but it's good enough as it was
    tumeric has a Good Flavour so Add Lots

• Informative x 2
  10. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

The startup cost is a bit high, but I recommend sous vide if you're a meat-eater. You need a vacuum sealer and bags. Even though I haven't used one, I recommend an instant pot with a sous vide setting unless you have an analog crockpot you can hack... our hacked crockpot broke so we're back to the immersion heater.

We got delicious pulled pork in 24 hours of ignoring it. Our tough beef roasts turn into buttery softness. I haven't tried chicken.

• Like x 2
  11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

You can even do sous vide in a dishwasher. But that's obviously limited to things that can be cooked within the time frame of a dishwasher cycle, and might be kind of a waste of water.

• Informative x 1
  12. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

I've read about people doing sous vide in a beer cooler. You might have to heat up the water now and again.

13. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Hmmm, not exactly easy, but this isn't low-spoons specific cooking. :) With the right thermometer, it might be a little easier. (One that beeps when the temperature goes too low.)

14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I've got a bunch of potatoes that are pretty old and starting to go bad. Anybody got any suggestions for quick, easy, tasty ways to use them up?

15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Potato bread? Shepherd’s pie?

16. chthonicfatigue

Ugh potatoes are such a cold weather food and I struggle with them in the heat. That said.

Floury potatoes: Stovies (chop potatoes roughly into pan with some heated animal fat, add onions, fry, add veggie stock to cover, lots of white pepper, add Worcestershire sauce if you like (I do, gotta have the spice), cover and simmer for at least 45 minutes stirring on occasion to prevent sticking, add meat such as leftover roast, corned beef cubes etc, stir on heat until liquid portion is thickened, can be more or less lumpy depending on preference) tattie soup, bubble and squeak, or parboil and freeze in bags for roasties?

Waxy potatoes: potato salad, dauphinoise, patatas bravas, or you could make saag aloo (potato and spinach curry).

Just potatoes idk: boiled and sliced or chopped in a microwave safe container with onions, butter, grated hard cheese (cheddar or red Leicester or Monterey jack, hearty tasting meat of choice (bacon bits, smoked sausage, corned beef, ham, etc), maybe chop in some tomatoes, any other leftover veggie (broccoli is good) and nuke until everything is tender and cheese is bubbling, about 6 minutes in a 900w microwave.

Edit to add: also potato pizza crust is a thing which I've made before but I don't remember how off the top of my head except that it involved mash and no yeast or proving.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
  17. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Hash browns: peel them and run them against a cheese grater. Soak them in water for ten minutes or rinse them in a colander, then pan fry them, scattered, in two tablespoons of oil for each batch for ten-ish minutes on medium high. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt, pepper, and any manner of seasonings what are good on potatoes. I like onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika myself.

Edit: you can also freeze the potato slices for future hash brown batches at the "soak and pat dry" step

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. chthonicfatigue

Today's dinner is Very Middle Class Dahlink

Warm baby leaf salad with apple cider and basil vinaigrette, smoked bacon lardons, charred fennel, mushrooms, tenderstem broccoli and asparagus tips, topped with cracked black Telicherry pepper, pistachios, and shaved pecorino romano.
    IMG_20180708_185132.jpg
    Also surprisingly low spoons to prep.

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  19. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

things i made yesterday:

-goiabada (guava paste)
    20180711_105440.jpg

-yeast bread for nomming hummus with
    20180711_105210.jpg

-chicken katsu
    20180711_105512.jpg

things i will be making today:

-peshwari naan (with raisins, coconut, & nigella seed)
    -tandoor chicken (it's been marinating for 2 days i am excite)
    -guava cheesecake
    -guava bbq sauce
    -hummus with enough garlic to kill a vampire

• Winner x 9
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

• Winner x 12
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice