Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Currently on my cooker simmering/awaiting bake: Lamb, spinach and mushroom Rogan Josh; with kalonji, chilli and garlic fathead flatbread; and pappadums.

IMG_20180822_175423.jpg
    IMG_20180822_174525.jpg

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  2. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

made a toasted sandwich for lunch including bacon strips, cheese, and a one-egg omelette! first time trying out an omelette in a toasted sandwich, and it came out very good and delicious, 10/10 would make again!

• Winner x 5
  3. Misty Pond

IMG0007A_small.jpg
    my camera quality isn't very good but here is some japanese curry rice I had for dinner a few days ago! (curry ingredients are potatoes, apples, and carrots, and I just used store-bought curry roux)

• Winner x 4
  4. Misty Pond

IMG0008A_small.jpg
    and the omurice I made for dinner last night, wherein I managed to get a perfect omelette without tears or spills! (rice ingredients: light + dark soy sauce, tons of garlic salt and black pepper, microwaved in 1-min intervals and then folded into the egg. did a simple batch since I felt like being lazy that night. it was perhaps a bit too hot but still very delicious!)

• Winner x 4
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

[​IMG]
    Frozen strawberry, frozen mango, and guava soda ^^

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 2
  6. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Apple Pudding!!!

My mom came up with this recipe because she wanted to use up the pancake mix she made for camping. No idea if other people have made similar.

Ingredients:
    • 9in x 9in baking pan
    • enough apples to fill it when sliced
    • 3/4 cup flour of choice
    • 1/4 cup sugar (/sugar substitute? less or more depending on comparative sweetness)
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • dash of salt
    • 4 eggs
    • milk
    • cinnamon
    Directions:
    • Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
    • Peel and slice apples into pan
    • Sprinkle cinnamon on apples, as you would a pie
    • Mix dry ingredients
    • Stir in milk until it's just a little thinner than pancake batter
    • Beat/stir in eggs
    • Pour batter over apples
    • Bake until puffy, bubbly, and golden brown (maybe put a sheet of tinfoil under the pan in case of spillage)
    Ta-da! Excellence.

Edit: Butter and flour the pan first, and you can cut up butter on top too.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Winner x 5
  7. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Gonna make macaroons later! I'm very excited :D Any tips?

• Winner x 4
  8. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

The only advice i have from when i made macaroons like 7 years ago, is to use parchment paper to line the pan, not foil. I had to pick little bits of foil off the macaroons because they stuck

9. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Ok, so I meant macarons (these things), why is there another dessert called the same thing.
    FRENCH-STYLE-MACAROONS.png

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

As far as I can tell from a quick google, it's because both the modern desserts with that name are variations on the same original recipe, which was a cookie made from almonds and egg whites. The coconut ones come from replacing the almond flour with coconut when there was a "hey, we can actually buy coconut for cheap now, let's put it in everything" fad in America (and were particularly popular in Jewish communities because they're kosher for Passover), while the sandwich ones came from fancy bakers in Paris going "what if... we took two of these cookies... and put them together with stuff in the middle... *mind blown gesture*"

• Informative x 9
  11. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Used a creamcheese with build in ham and onion bits to make a cream sauce for my pasta.

cooked some sliced garlic in a pan while the pasta was boiling, then deglazed the pan with a dry white whine, then added a good chunk of the cream cheese and stirred it in. Let it reduce, drained the noodles, put the noodles into the pan and seasoned w/ pepper. Delish.

• Winner x 10
  12. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I am celebrating my birthday tomorrow and am taking goodies to work on Monday (my actual birthday). In good Emma tradition I started prepping the goodies today. First thing is in the oven now.

Attached Files:

• Winner x 7
  13. TheOwlet

Made garlic soup today, full success, can recommend as excellent comfort food, especially if outside is looking kinda gross and rainy.

• Winner x 7
  14. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I'm imagining soup like a... like a carrot or sweet potato soup. Main ingredient: garlic, blended to a creamy consistency.

15. TheOwlet

oh man. Naw it's a bread soup with tons of garlic, based on this recipe:

It's one of my staples because the ingredients are fairly cheap (one change i made tho is that I like to use bacon instead of ham because more flavour)

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  16. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

[​IMG]
    I think I did ok, shockingly enough, and sesame seeds make EVERYTHING look prettier.

• Winner x 4
  17. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Made chili with chili, beans, bowtie noodles and a fried egg on top. Was very good.

• Winner x 7
  18. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

Also my macarons came out pretty good! The filling was a bit runny and some of the tops cracked a bit, but they had the little macaron puff thing around the sides and tasted amazing. Also, the colors came out phenomenally, some were swirled orange and red, some were swirled purple and pink, and some were swirled lime green, blue and yellow. I greatly enjoyed them!
    IMG_20180921_230544-01.jpeg IMG_20180922_103213-01.jpeg

• Winner x 9
  19. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

:O that blueish purple(?) one is especially pretty!

• Agree x 4
  20. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Last night I made chicken tikka and an Indian style creamed spinach, and their flavor profiles were similar enough that I put the leftovers in the same container. Today I had the leftovers for lunch and they are twice as good mixed together
    IMG_20180926_111631454.jpg
    I used these two budget bytes recipes, adapted for what I had on hand and for preparing together (used tomato paste mixed with water in both for the tomato component and used heavy cream for the dairy in both because I find using two different milk products dumb). I would also definitely recommend cubing the chicken and tossing it in the spices because it gave it a fantastic depth of flavor. I used breast meat because that's what I had and it ended up fall apart tender, I'd assume because of the tomato acidity.

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice