Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Man, I wish I wrote things down today...

I cut up the vegetables before a day of awesome decluttering because I knew I wouldn't want to do it afterward. Tomato, eggplant, russet potato, onion and pepper... all in separate dishes and spaced about 20 minutes apart... eggplant was overdone, onion-pepper was under, but I do know how to bake good potato after the last mistake.

The bread, though... We determined that mom's food-ninja could handle one cup of flour, (later realized it was 2,) I just winged a recipe and while the "bread dough" looked like slime going into the casserole dish, it made a decent yeast-textured wheat-loaf. (No idea how much yeast, especially since I assume that some of it was dead. It did eat all of the sugar.)

2. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

So we’ve got a small problem at my house right now. We have 10 hens and 5 people. Which has lead to us having several dozen eggs in the fridge right now. Any ideas for what to use them for?

3. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I always use extra eggs to make a quiche, but egg salad and deviled eggs are also options

4. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

there's also giving eggs away, potentially in exchange for more egg cartons to put eggs in

5. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

quiche freezes well, if i'm remembering correctly.

6. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Can support the quiche option.

Aside from that, maybe a bunch of meringues? Like the mother of all pavlovas.

7. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

8. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

Okay this gave me a good laugh. I’ll look up quiche recipes for next time I’m off

9. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Baking uses up a fuck ton of eggs too. You'd be surprised how many recipes call for two or three eggs and you're like, "oh yeah, I have that, " and then whoops, suddenly you don't.

• Agree x 2
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Something like lemon meringue pie would also work well if you feel like putting in the effort- yolks go in the lemon custard, whites go in the meringue.

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  11. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Ok so i made a really good nut coffee cake because when I'm stressed I wake up with the urge to bake.

For the cake:

200g plain wheat flour
    150g sugar; 100g white sugar and 50g brown
    Pinch of salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/6 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 sp baking powder

75g butter, melted
    150mls strong coffee
    50mls milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 eggs

Handful of chopped lightly roasted nuts; I used walnuts/pecans and almonds cause it was what I had

I sifted all the dry ingredients together except for the baking powder, then added the coffee, milk, vanilla and butter, and then added the eggs one at a time, then added the baking powder and chopped nuts, gave it a final mix, and poured into a greased and floured Bundt pan, baking at 180C for about half an hour.

I could probably have whipped the egg whites before folding into the batter, but I didn't and it turned out ok. I wish I could have added cardamom and clove to the spices but I didn't have them powdered and I didn't think about infusing the coffee and milk until it was too late. It could also use a little more of the spices tbh because it is very lightly spicey

For the sauce:

1/2 cup strong coffee
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon butter
    2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
    Some cinnamon

Handful of whole roasted nuts

I just cooked everything together except the nuts until it was thick and saucey, then poured over the cooled cake, leaving some so I could coat the nuts and arrange them on top of the cake. 10/10 very delicious

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    • Winner x 7
  12. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

5C795955-032D-4BFE-9A2A-C952B46EFEEF.jpeg
    I made a fruitcake :)

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 1
  13. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

for a split second i thought those were shells used as decorations on a brownie, which is very Fancy but probably a pain to cut

• Agree x 1
  14. LadyNighteyes

Honestly, my brain is still refusing to see those as anything but pistachio shells even though I know they aren't.

• Agree x 1
  15. TheOwlet

You ever feel like you wanna stuff autumn straight into your mouth? Good, I got you:

Stuffed Mini Pumpkins:

Needs (per person):
    - one small (think pommegranate sized) hokkaido pumpkin
    - one bratwurst or comparable raw sausage
    - a shallot or half an onion
    - half an small apple
    - a small handful of walnuts
    -autumnal spices of your choice + salt and pepper

do:
    -heat your oven to 200°C
    - cut open the top of your pumpkin and scoop out all the seeds and fibrous bits that you can. If necessary, cut a thin slice of the bottom to make the pumpkin stand solidly, too.
    - remove your sausage stuffing from the casing and put it in a bowl. finely chop your shallot and apple, roughly chop your walnuts and put it all in the bowl as well. Ad spices as you enjoy them (i used salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, chili flakes)
    - get your hands in there and mix your stuffing ingredients well. once everything is mostly combined, stuff it into your pumpkin. Press it in firmly to make sure everything fits in and keep stuffing until your pumpkin is full. maybe pile some on top, it's gonna caramelize wonderfully.
    - place pumpkin in an oiled casserole dish and bake until the pumpkin is done (~half an hour for mine just now). Test for doneness with a knife tip or skewer. If it goes in easily, you're finished. one pumpkin per person should be enough for a meal!

(you could potentially already saute your onions some before putting them in the filling but I didn't feel like getting the pan out extra and I came up with the recipe just yesterday so there's some room for improvement, probably)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    • Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Useful x 1
  16. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I have acquired a decent amount of green cherry tomatoes - any suggestions as to uses apart from chutney or salsa?

17. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

They're delicious scrambled with eggs and mushrooms

Edit: you can also use them as a chili base with green peppers or roast them in the oven (oil, salt, 20mins at 400f) or char them in a pan to serve with meat

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    • Informative x 1
  18. TheOwlet

made stuffed eggplants today to get some things out of the freezer and it's VERY good.

• Winner x 2
  19. LadyNighteyes

Mulled cider recipe: "add 6 whole star anise"
    Me, having just taken an eye-watering whiff of the very strong star anise we got from a Middle-Eastern grocery: "We would die."

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 2
  20. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

YEAH THAT IS.... TOO MUCH STAR ANISE........

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice