Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

THAT'S TOO MANY STAR ANISE PUT LIKE FIVE BACK

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

That's how many if you're using the same jar that you got a decade ago.

• Agree x 1
  3. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

I dunno how to make proper shakshuka, but I make something people seem to like.

Can of tomato puree
    Salt
    Lime juice
    Cumin
    Pickled jalapenos, chopped (and a belt of the pickling liquid)

Combine, adjusting quantities until tasty - get enough salt in there until it tastes like food, then balance it out with the sour/hot/brown of the other ingredients.

Add a goodly handful of chopped eschalot/scallion (or a little finely-chopped onion), and another goodly handful of cilantro.

Pour into a baking dish, crack eggs over the top, cover with grated cheese, then bake until the cheese is nice and golden on top.

Serve with bread and butter.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Chicken with a little paprika and sage... mmmm. I ought to try different spice combos but that one's so delicious I don't want to!

• Like x 3
  5. TheOwlet

Made Baked Apples (+ Sauce) today!

Needs:
    a little bit of butter for greasing the dish
    two medium sized apples per person (or one if you wanna make this as dessert)
    some nuts of your choice for filling + some ground nuts to fill the gaps
    some dried fruit of your choice (imo, dried cranberries or similar tart stuff works best)
    dash of cinnamon
    orange juice, water
    a little heavy cream

do:
    • heat your oven to 200°C. While it's coming up to temp, butter up a casserole dish or whatever else you're baking your apples in. Then core your apples. If you have a melon baller, use that and leave the bottom into keep your filling inside, otherwise just core the whole thing , slice off the bottom and put it back into the apple.
    • chop up your nuts. I had a bunch of left overs from various cooking/bakin things so my mix was: 1 chestnut, 1 walnut, 2 hazelnuts and a tbs of ground almond per apple. put it all in a bowl, add in your dried fruit, chopped up if you think they're too large otherwise. Add your dash of cinnamon and mix it all well. (if you're using a tart apple for this, you can also add a little bit of sugar. I've had granny smith so I put in like half a tsp of brown sugar)
    • place your apples in the dish you wanna bake them in, fill them. If anything goes to the side, either put it in or just leave it there, it'll be fine in the sauce. If you have more filling than apple space, you can slice off a little bit of the top of the apple to make a plane surface to just pile it onto, works fine
    • pour some orange juice and water into the dish. How much you need depends on the size of your baking dish but I would suggest about an inch of liquid to ensure it doesn't all boil off during the baking (I used water:orange juice 1:1 but you can totally adjust to taste!). Spoon a some heavy cream over the top of the apple. I used two tbs per apple.
    • pop the entire thing into the oven for ~1h or until the apples are completely tender (test with skewer)
    • plate your apples up, drizzle with the cooking liquid, which will have reduced down and caramelized a little at the edges, giving you a sweet-tart sauce that also has the cream runoff in it, the spices, and the taste of all those nuts!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Winner x 5
    • Useful x 1
  6. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

like a week ago i was gonna post pumpkin pie photos, so here they are, finally!
    upload_2018-10-31_10-20-53.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-31_10-21-18.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-31_10-21-40.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-31_10-21-55.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-31_10-22-9.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-31_10-22-21.jpeg

• Winner x 8
  7. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

2285FDD9-4902-4AD8-85F6-A68AF70FA6B4.jpeg 8E231981-A6FD-48A0-BD09-3780CFD8B536.jpeg Ok, tonight we're making pineapple curry.

Lump of ginger, grated
    Curry leaves
    Lime leaves
    Mustard seeds - a teaspoon or so
    Thai green chilli, finely chopped

In a large pan, fry off in a tablespoon or so of coconut oil to bring the flavours out.

Add:

1/2 - 1 pineapple, cut into forkable pieces
    1tsp ground cumin
    1tsp ground coriander
    Tiny pinch turmeric
    Salt

Fry for 5 minutes or so then add:

half a can of coconut milk
    juice of half a lime
    About a tablespoon of palm sugar (or other dark brown sugar)

Simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes until it thickens and colours a bit.

Add the rest of the coconut milk, bring back to the boil for a second then take off the heat.

Add:

2-3 bananas, thick-sliced
    Handful of cilantro, chopped

Serve with rice.

It's amazing.

• Winner x 6
  8. Athol Magarac

9. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Most if not all manufacturers these days do not use glaze that has lead in it. That article is from 2008 and the original findings were from 2004. I sure would like to see how old the crock pots were that they were testing to get their results that had even ANY lead (I inherited and used the old crock pot that my parents got as a wedding present after their divorce... it was from 1980 and still worked quite well before we upgraded in the early aughts, so I could definitely see there being ones in use today that might have still had lead glazes). Bioaccumulation also isn't an issue if you're actually washing it between uses. Which. If you aren't then why?

If you're really worried, they the make disposable liners for crock pots. It mentions it right there in the article you linked.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Athol Magarac

Well, if I just got done making chicken stock (upwards of 24 hours sometimes) and immediately want to make a chili (two batches over the course of a week) I don't need to do more than give it a quick rinse to make sure there aren't any bits of bone stuck to the sides. I don't need to soap off the chicken fat. And the first chili gets dumped on top of the second as long as there wasn't any significant burning.

11. Existrum

Existrum Member

You may not need to, but if bioaccumulation is something that concerns you, it may give you peace of mind to wash with hot water and soap between uses.

• Agree x 1
  12. Athol Magarac

Actually, not. I grew up in a house where there was lead actively being used in my parent's business. I didn't pry it off the floor and eat it, but I'm not sure if everything tasting like metal is because of anything other than having a mouthful of metal fillings. I don't even know why I bother with getting herring and sardines instead of tuna, except that it keeps me from suggesting tuna as a suitable ingredient.

13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

But that has nothing to do with bioaccumulation from a crock pot and very little to do with cooking. Let's keep the thread on topic.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    • Agree x 4
  14. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I've been making egg-fried rice by mixing rice into a beaten egg and pouring the mix into the pan, but recently I've been experimenting with putting the rice into the pan and then cracking an egg straight in and mixing it altogether

I'm thinking it works better! it means one less bowl to clean up after, and I think the egg flavor comes out more prominently, since it cooks into little lumps of egg when you're mixing it into the rice making these little bursts of flavor when you eat the rice...it's also marginally less effort than mixing stuff up beforehand and I think that's helping make egg-fried rice less of a drag for me to whip up, too

• Winner x 3
  15. TheOwlet

Made fishburger today!

(basically, imagine a hamburger. Now replace the meat with fishsticks. That's it that's the thing)

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  16. 3strim

3strim Professional Accidental Rater

Decided to get fancy with dinner:
    Pork tenderloin, marinated in a few splashed of red wine, rice vinegar, olive oil and seasoned with mushroom salt, pepper, rosemary and basil. Overcooked but, y'know, still tasty.
    Sides are blistered tomatoes, steamed broccoli, and green beans finished with schmaltz and salt. And potato bread.

• Like x 5
  17. Mossflower

Mossflower Well-Known Member

Didn't get pics but I made homemade enchiladas and mexican rice for dinner tonight. Turned out really good for something I made up with on the spot

• Winner x 4
  18. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Does anyone have a fairly low impact recipe for a fairly large amount of bacon for one person? (Could feed a family of 5 breakfast for one day,needs eaten today or tomorrow)

19. TheOwlet

(you can freeze it, i'm fairly sure, if you want to keep it longer)

otherwise, bacon wrapped dates use up one strip of bacon/date?

20. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

No freezer I´m afraid. Also no dates, but bacon wrapping Something sounds nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice