Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Apple pudding(!!!)
    [​IMG]
    The Best.

• Winner x 7
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

That looks good! Is it a custard kind of thing?

3. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Pretty much.
    9"x9" pan
    • Butter & flour pan
    • Fill with apple slices
    • Mix:
      • 3/4 cup four
      • 1/4 cup sugar
      • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
      • dash of salt
    • Beat in milk to consistency slightly thinner than pancake batter
    • Beat in 6 eggs
    • Sprinkle cinnamon (&anything else you put in your apple pie) over top of apples
    • Pour in batter
    • Cut butter into the top
    Bake at 350 degrees F until puffy, bubbly, golden brown

• Informative x 3
  4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i do like their 'without a recipe' things for the fumble comedy, but i have to say they're quick learners. also, the thing that happened to keith's crust... i have had that happen and good grief is it aggravating. i feel you, buddy. pre-baking a shortbread crust is a real nailbiter.

• Like x 1
  5. jacktrash

speaking of baking w/o a recipe, here is the pumpkin custard i improvised this past thanksgiving rather than mess around with gluten-free crust.

• 1 large can pumpkin puree
    • 2 regular cans sweetened condensed milk
    • a splash of normal milk
    • 6 eggs
    • a squirt of fresh ginger puree, the tube kind, like about as much as you'd put on your toothbrush if it was toothpaste
    • pumpkin pie spice to taste
    my usual pumpkin spice is to take the classic spice proportions like from fannie farmer or betty crocker, but double the ground cloves. so like 1/2 tsp cloves instead of 1/4.

ok so i've done this thing which is p much just eyeballing it and using the cans i have. but here's what's important: you do the eggs like you're making chawanmushi. so you break your eggs in a bowl, splash in milk until you can make them good and liquidy, beat them gently until proper mixed but not foamy, and then pour them through a sieve into the rest of it. so you're making sure there's no variations in texture, no little globs of stubborn unmixed white or whatever. discard whatever stays behind in the sieve, don't push it through with a spoon.

if you don't have enough cups or ramekins, i reckon this would keep in the fridge for a few days, but i wouldn't freeze it. i think that would change how the eggs cook and possibly make it break like a bad alfredo.

fill the ramekins as high as you like, it doesn't puff, it's not a souffle. set them in a high sided baking dish and then pour water in the dish until it's halfway up the sides. not hot water, though it doesn't need to be ice cold. you're making sure the temperature rises slowly so that you don't get the edges cooking before the center. bake at around 250f until a toothpick comes out not goopy. it won't be clean like for a cake, but it shouldn't have liquidy drips. you could go 300f if you'er able to check it frequently. it takes a long ass time, at LEAST an hour, but the result is like velvet.

let it cool slowly, then fridge the lil puddins until eats time. serve with barely-sweetened whipped cream, as it is INTENSE, like mousse intense, and super sweet.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 4
  6. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

leftover curry and rice you wanna stretch out?

mix some leftover rice with two eggs, salt, and a bit of soy sauce for flavor. fry it up on a pan like a pancake. put it on a plate. pour the hot curry over top. inhale like a creature from the deepest trenches attempting to filter feed. be full for the next 6 hours.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

my dad made his own vanilla ice-cream recently! it's so flavorsome compared to the average container of ice-cream from the grocery store...

dad also used the leftover egg-whites from making the ice-cream to make a pavlova, so now we've got two desserts to chow on for the next few days :D

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Because there was a sale and I have poor impulse control, I find myself with a pound and a half of deli-style sliced smoked turkey that expires in a couple days. Anyone know any recipes that use that, or could be altered to use it? I just can’t eat that many sandwiches.

9. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

perhaps slice it up and put it into a salad? You could make something like a Wurstsalad?

10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Imma put together a pdf of recipes from kintsugi people so that they're more organized, maybe easier to find than in this thread (or maybe not a pdf, maybe something with tags so you can search various recipe properties). Anyway, if you're interested - link me posts with recipes you want included, or post them and maybe @me or something?

• Winner x 6
    • Useful x 1
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I don't have most of the ingredients for that, unfortunately, but maybe I can do something similar! I wonder if a turkey and apple salad-type thing would be any good...

12. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

>:0 that's such a good idea i want to do this now gkhdlfkjf
    maybe ill do one for the low spoons thred?

• Winner x 2
  13. TheOwlet

turkey and apple sounds like a good combo.
    (also ngl my recipe for Wurstsalat is literally 'sliced sausage thing, pickle juice, sliced onion, add seasoning to taste until you like it)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I mean, I do have turkey and cheddar and vinegar and onion... maybe I’ll try that! I already made turkey cheddar apple wraps for dinner today.

I also found this thing where people make egg cups with a turkey shell in a muffin tin which I’m definitely gonna try. Heck yeah breakfast for a week

• Winner x 1
  15. TheOwlet

ohhh, i made cups like that with ham, greatly recommend it!

• Winner x 1
  16. jacktrash

omelets. turkey and swiss omelets. nommmm

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  17. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

there was talk about an epub version, that ought to allow tags, but i never came around to it

18. jacktrash

i kind of want to try this. i don't even like snickers. but i feel like i would absolutely LOVE them if they had darker chocolate and salted caramel.

• Winner x 4
  19. jacktrash

i need low effort snack ideas that are NOT 'healthy' low-cal fibrous nothings. i have to take my painkillers with food, and the bedtime one especially upsets my stomach if i don't take it with something fairly substantial, including at least a bit of fat. making things trickier, animal fat -- especially pork -- can give me a flareup, so i had to retire the summer-sausage-and-crackers snack that was my staple for a long time.

current staples are baby carrots with hummus (olive oil provides the fat), cottage cheese, peanut butter toast, and ice cream. these are all good but i want more options.

i tried to google things, but no matter where i turned i kept being cockblocked by the kind of assholes who think "never ever eat ice cream" is good life advice. i was getting angry, so i decided to stop messing with my head like that, and came to ask you-all instead. help?

20. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

How do you feel on the subject of avocado? I like them and will nom them with a spoon right out of the peel. Cream cheese optional, soy sauce and lemon or limejuice v good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice