Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Update! It's delicious. Although next time I think I'll use a lighter chocolate. It's just that 60% was the type of chocolate chips i had lying around.
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

*slides up to you* so is there a recipe available because this seems delicious

3. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Just replace the lemon with ~12oz of chocolate chips - I used 60% dark, but that's pretty bitter - almost too bitter to me, honestly - so pick which you want - melted in a double boiler or the microwave, then beaten in at the last minute.

The second layer's tangyness is a little odd with the chocolate, but it works.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. TheOwlet

Thank you!

• Like x 1
  5. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I made whole wheat seed bread a few days ago and despite it being a pain to knead due to the whole wheat flour it's so delicious I may never make another bread again. I used this recipe with molasses (I'm not a honey fan) and added a quarter cup each of raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds. This ended up with ideal seed distribution! IMG_20190305_123130.jpg

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 2
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I have pinned down measurements for my dads pasty crust, which you can use for about any savory pie needs. If you leave out the salt you can even put in sweet filling.

1 cup flour
    1/4 cup water
    1 glug or about 1/8th cup oil
    salt or sugar as desired

Mix your flour and spice of choice, add you oil and water, mix until shaggy, then knead until smooth. Roll out in your required shape, fill, bakes for abt 15 minutes.

• Winner x 4
    • Useful x 1
  7. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

IMG_20190306_001516.jpg

I made California rolls! No carrot though, I didn't wanna cut it up.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  8. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'm drooling.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  9. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I don't eat a whole lot of vegetables (read: like one potato per week) and I kind of want to change that. does anyone have any good recommendations for some easy vegetable dishes to start out with?

10. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

that depends on what kind of things you like!

you can simmer sliced carrots with brown sugar and butter (adding more butter if there’s not enough liquid) to make candied carrots; it’s awful unhealthy but as an occasional treat or a step into eating more veggies it works nicely imo.

if you like fried rice, you can toss in frozen/canned peas, frozen/canned carrots, bean sprouts, snap peas, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and/or broccoli while it’s cooking for a tasty meal!

you can also dice + toss things like carrots, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, asparagus, and onion in olive oil, add salt and pepper, and bake them in an oven on a lined baking sheet!

i like to make stir fry veggies (you can buy these pre mixed and frozen usually. you can also make your own or add to frozen by tossing in whatever veggies you like) in a wok with soy sauce, a little bit of minced garlic, onion powder, powdered ginger, black pepper, and maybe some crushed red pepper flakes or gochujang if you like heat. goes best over rice but you could totally do it by itself if you wanted. you can also add whatever protein you like if you want!

it’s a small thing, but you can slice a green onion and put it on cup ramen for a little more vegetables too! i’d bet you could totally add canned veggies like peas and things to ramen too.

• Useful x 2
  11. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

A simple one:
    1. Preheat oven to 400F or so.
    2. Chop up a bunch of vegetables. I usually do a couple of potatoes sliced into rounds, 3-4 carrots, and a red onion, but broccoli, cauliflower, squash, brussels sprouts, etc. are all good too. Anything reasonably solid works, basically.
    3. Drizzle some olive oil or melted butter over them, add a bunch of salt and pepper, and stir it all up to coat it.
    4. Line a big baking sheet with aluminum foil so you don't have to wash it later. Put the vegetables on it. Stick it in the oven for like 30-45 minutes.
    5. Eat vegetables.
    Edit: ninja'd

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  12. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

If you like sweet things and don't mind baking, zucchini bread is a pretty good transition to eat more veg. I love baking sliced summer squash tossed in lemon, olive oil, and your choice of seasoning (i love a Greek blend) and if you're roasting a chicken there's your side on one pan. A chicken quarter works perfectly well for just one person.

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  13. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

Another easy and approachable vegetable is corn - like potatoes, it's more starchy than super nutrient dense, but it's better than no vegetables! My favorite way to prepare corn is to melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet, add either canned or frozen corn (drain the can, and ideally defrost the corn bc ice straight into a hot pan can Do Weird Things), and add salt and pepper to taste. My wife likes it basically just heated up, while I like cooking it until all the kernels are getting browned edges bc Texture makes me happy.

Edits to fix autocorrect issues

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
  14. paladinkit

Hey! So it seemed like a complicated enough topic to deserve its own thread, but I thought I'd link it in here: the tl;dr is that I wanna share ideas/experience with meal prep! We've got a lot of great recipes in this thread (I just reread the whole thing last night) but I'm trying to collect things I can batch cook/assemble ahead of time & then just warm up.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  15. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I made raspberry and white-chocolate muffins today, all on my lonesome for the first time!! (though I had some assistance from my dad in areas, I did most of the work myself.) I'm tired after all that standing up but I'm hoping the muffins, once they cool, will prove worthy of the effort!

eta: they have! the finished muffins are Delicious :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Winner x 8
  16. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

made a semi low effort seafood soup; we had canned wye's cream of crab, so two cans of that, an extra can of milk, half a box of chicken broth plus gnocchi, imitation crab, and salad shrimp added in. It honestly could use some bok choy or something at the end but I enjoyed it (everyone else said it reminded them of the clam chowder they overate years ago but I don't like clams so i didn't eat it)

The other way would be to make the base of the chicken gnocchi cream soup we make, and add in the crab and shrimp and any other seafood or veg u like.

next seafood soup i wanna make is the coconut shrimp stirfry but as soup instead cause that sauce is heavenly.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. TheOwlet

Made chocolate fudge cake! It's essentially one big brownie but not as sweet and everyone approved.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  18. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i won at vegetables the other day. i peeled half a butternut squash and sliced it into half moons, coated the slices in garlic and olive oil, and spread them on baking parchment on a cookie sheet. sprinkled them with sea salt and black pepper. baked at 350 for half an hour or so, but halfway through scattered parmesan cheese on top.

it was amazeballs.

• Winner x 9
  19. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  20. paladinkit

This was really amazing! And easily within my limited hand capabilities and limited standing energy (lots of skillet things take FOREVER but this did not!)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice