Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

A medium-spoons concoction I've made a few times based on a couple of different recipes for vegetable shepherd's pie:
    • 2-3ish pounds potatoes
    • butter/milk/salt/pepper/anything else you put in mashed potatoes
    • A bunch of vegetables. I've mostly been using:
      • a diced onion
      • big ol' scoop of garlic
      • ~4 carrots chopped up small
      • a box of mushrooms from the grocery store (12 oz)
      • a cup or so of frozen peas
    • 1 1/2 c lentils, rinsed and drained
    • 4 c of broth/stock
    • 2 tsp thyme (this is a wild guess, because I actually just add it until it smells delicious)
    • a bay leaf
    • a random amount of salt and pepper
    • an egg or two (optional)
    Step 1: Make mashed potatoes. I leave the skins on because I am lazy and need the vitamins. Put them in a bowl for later.
    Step 2: Saute veggies. You might want to skip anything frozen for now.
    Step 3: Add broth/stock, lentils, and spices, and simmer for ~40 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and you have lentil-vegetable glorp.
    Step 4: Preheat oven to 400F.
    Step 5: Add any vegetables you didn't add before, and eggs if you're using them (I had extra that I needed to use up and figured I could use the protein).
    Step 6: Grease up a 9x13 pan or equivalent, shovel lentil glorp in, and layer the potatoes on top. It might be at serious risk of overflowing, in which case a cooking sheet underneath the pan is advised.
    Step 7: Cook for ~15 minutes or until the potatoes start looking a little toasty.
    Step 8: Let cool for a few minutes and eat.

• Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I made blueberry muffins today! \o/

• Winner x 9
  3. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Lemon squares!
    [​IMG]
    Cheesecake too, but it's still in the oven.

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i bring you: ALL THE EGGS

some of these are a bit silly, and dude reeeeally doesn't like fully-cooked yolks (the waffle egg looked yummy to me) but still quite informative.

what he calls 'chinese custard eggs' i know as japanese chawanmushi, and it is my absolute favorite way to eggs. beat em with a little dashi, a little mirin, strain any lumpy bits out, and add any savories you might like, such as scallions, hot peppers, and flaked grilled salmon... oh my god i drooled. yeah anyhow and then you steam it. can't overcook it, bc steam is magic. result is velvety custardy savory breakfast of the gods. mmmmm.

i didn't know that the olive oil method was An Method, i just do my fried eggs that way because i use olive oil for everything.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Misty Pond

IMG0015A.jpg

raspberry and white-choc muffins, fresh out the oven!

eta: here's them out of the tins
    IMG0018A.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Winner x 12
    • Like x 1
  6. mrozna

mrozna bloodthirsty hussar fuck

I want to eat this NOW

Also I want to make these kasza manna cookies for my gf but she's vegetarian and I'm not sure non-gelatin jelly is going to hold shape :T
    [​IMG]

• Like x 2
  7. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I am going to use so much of that egg video with my constant supply of fresh from the feathery butts of my backyard bird buddies' eggs *o*

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  8. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

Agar is pretty reliable from what I hear. Those are adorable.

Edit: if you want to make vegetarian chawanmushi, mushroom dashi isn’t as salty and lacks the smoky flavor of the dried fish, so you might want to add smoked salt or something to keep it from being bland.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    • Informative x 2
  9. mrozna

Yeah I definitely need to get a hold of some agar for these!

...we just watched the entire video and now I wanna make vegetarian chawanmushi so bad, and poached eggs because I've never tried them. Waffle eggs sound fun as hell too.

10. Misty Pond

IMG0020A.png

make dark-choco chip cookies using a friend's recipe! they came out a bit big (or rather I probably put too many on each tray) but still tasted lovely! they have a caramel flavor that's tempered by some added sea-salt to the tops

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  11. mrozna

Caramel and sea salt? You got my attention

• Agree x 1
  12. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I made slow roasted duck leg with a creamy brown lentil, spinach and bacon stew.

IMG_20190329_194225.jpg

• Winner x 11
  13. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Do you have a recipe for that stew? because it sounds amazing

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Simple brown lentil stovetop stew

• 100 g diced white onion (I used frozen)
    • 100g dry cured, unsmoked streaky bacon, cut into lardons
    • 100g brown lentils, prepped for cooking as per package (I used frozen, so no soaking needed - canned would also work well) EDIT: apparently the ones I use are "dark speckled lentils", so make of that what you will.
    • Approx 1 cup water, can add more as needed
    • 1 tsp vegetable bullion powder (I used Marigold yeast free)
    • 50 - 75 ml double/heavy/whipping cream
    • 25 g unsalted butter
    • 250 grams fresh spinach leaves

In a heavy bottomed frying pan (think ours is a 10-inch pan), cook off the bacon until it releases fat. Add diced onion and cook until onion is tender and translucent and both bacon and onions are starting to caramelise a little at the edges. Add water + bullion powder, stir to incorporate, and add lentils. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, ensuring the lentils soften and cook - or refer to your pack for cooking times if not using frozen. Check and add more water if required, bring to a low simmer. Add cream slowly in small batches til consistency is as desired. melt in butter, stirring well; add spinach and let it wilt before stirring to coat in the creamy sauce. Ensure it is heated through, another 3-4 minutes should do it.
    Crack black pepper to taste on top.

I stirred in some of the duck fat which had drained from the legs as well, and it was very nice.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    • Winner x 5
    • Informative x 4
  15. mrozna

There's some brown bananas no one's willing to eat so I'm going to make banana bread tomorrow. Will report results when done.

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 4
  16. mrozna

[​IMG]
    IT'S!!!!! SO!!!!!!! GOOD!!!!!!!!
    I can't wait until the rest of the bananas go brown so I can make more

• Winner x 8
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

God that lentil+duck sounds divine

• Agree x 4
  18. Misty Pond

IMG0020B.png

baked a chocolate coffee cake for my birthday tomorrow! my mom helped me bake it, and then I did the icing and decoration myself. those are dark-chocolate buttons on top!

• Winner x 12
  19. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Braised turkey hearts, stuffed with chestnuts, apricots, ramps, and buttered breadcrumb; redwine + sour cream sauce, and a bag of 5 grain mix i found in the very back of my pantry

I'm super proud of myself because I came up with it entirely on my own and it's delicious

[​IMG]

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

can anyone help me identify a spice? my mom got it at a halal market and google gives nothing for either the name of the spice or the brand name. the taste/smell is floral, maybe a little fruity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice