Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Where's the drool rating? I want that, gimme.

2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

Link is in the post!

I'm a weirdo, so I cut up the sausage into bite size pieces, and then speared pieces of sausage with pieces of amasu-zuke to eat together and it was AMAZING (but I have what I have been told is very weird taste in flavors combined with meats so take that with salt to taste)

• Winner x 2
  3. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

dinner tonight was indian mashed potatoes, tomato masala, and a quickbread naan! it was very very good.

the potatoes and naan were mostly free styled, so i am extra happy that they came out as well as they did

[space to insert a picture of dinner because ... my picture won't upload for some reason :( ]

• Winner x 7
  4. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Trilobite Bread!
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 6
    • Agree x 1
  5. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I'm making a pork loin roast for the Bealtaine feast today! I'm trying a new variation on my old roast method this time, and I'm super fucking excited

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 2
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Question: When using instant dry yeast that doesn´t need blooming, when do I add salt to my baking?

7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

From what I understand, the concentration of salt used in most baking applications is too low to really inhibit the yeast. You can add it with everything else in the beginning, or let the flour/water/yeast/whatever sit together for a bit before introducing it, or whatever.

• Informative x 1
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Thank! I was always told you had to add salt in a special order or else it would kill the yeast.

9. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'd say just don't have the salt directly in contact with the yeast when the water is added, lest it do a harm before they get mixed up. i usually mix my dry ingredients together before adding water, which seems to be enough precaution.

10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

But both yeast and salt are dry? At least mine is. Its a powder. So if i mixed all dry as i usually do, theyd ve all mixed up together

11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

It really won't harm it at the levels found in baking recipes, or if it does, the harm is small enough that it doesn't really affect the rest of the rising process.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  12. jacktrash

yeah, exactly. so they're both mixed throughout, and diluted by the flour.

as opposed to a pile of salt sitting on top of a pile of yeast, so you get a really intense saline solution in direct contact with the yeast as it's starting to wake up.

• Informative x 1
  13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Ahh ok I get you. Thank you!

• Like x 1
  14. jacktrash

FISH NOMS

food.jpg

• saute in butter: minced onions, garlic, chopped-small carrots.
    • add drained can of tuna, or some cooked fish of another type, leftover salmon or whatever
    • sea salt and black pepper
    • cooked brown/black/wild rice (i guess white would work too but it wouldn't have that nutty flavor or cronch)
    • stir and cook until hot and maybe a lil bit sizzly
    • sprinkle in chopped scallion or chives and about a tablespoon of lemon juice, then serve up right away
    • SO GOOD

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

it's the start of May which means it's spruce tip season

so naturally I was rushing outside first thing i saw the tips coming in and harvested myself a generous cup full of the stuff and have now turned it into spruce tip shortbread

(use your face shortbread recipe, chop up as much spruce tip as you deem necessary, i used the entire cup. mix together, bake as shortbread usually bakes, DELICIOUS)

absolutely worth struggling through the incoming nettles at the edge of the forest

• Like x 3
  16. Lizardlicks

Ooh damn, I've Jesse's of pine needle tea but never using spruce tips in cooking. Now I want to try :O

17. TheOwlet

the taste is coniferous (naturally) but also kinda lemon-y, almost? without being acidic,just that freshness of a lemon. depending on where you live you can still grab some, just be sure to actually get spruces

• Like x 2
  18. Lizardlicks

We have several spruce species around here, but idk if it's the same as what you would call a spruce?

19. TheOwlet

Uhhh probably not, considering i live near the alps. worth checking for some local foraging info though

20. Lizardlicks

Ah, Norway spruce then. I wonder how our native black spruce compares in flavor...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice