Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Fake edit: there are Norway spruce in the US but they're planted as ornamentals in people's yards. Not a great place to forage lmao.

• Agree x 1
  2. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Made lemon shortbread cookies for my friend Goat! I don't actually like shortbread, so I have no idea how they turned out, but mom says they're good, so there's that.
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 6
  3. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I am probably going to buy a lot of blueberries this weekend, anyone tips for what I should bake with them? I really want to bake something with them (I prefer recipes with precise measurements when it comes to baking, preferably metric)

4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

kolachis!

(i'm just saying that bc kolachis are what i'm craving right now. you should actually probably bake something that doesn't require making jam out of the berries.)

• Winner x 1
  5. Emma

They sound both delicious and like a lot more work than I really want to do this weekend :P

• Like x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

coffee cake with blueberries! or blueberry pie, you can’t go wrong with that

• Winner x 1
  7. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I got a recipe for blueberry vareniki if you're interested?

I like making them in early summer/late spring when the berries are in season

• Winner x 1
  8. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

they don't make a filling out of the berries? just throw them in there? i don't know about that. i don't think small pastries bake long enough for the berries to cook down on their own, i'd simmer them with the sugar and their own juice for a few minutes to get em spoonable first.

but then i'd make kolachis with the filling, because. kolachis. i love em.

[​IMG]

(why is everyone spelling it kolache? and why are they all making them round now? they're supposed to look like this

[​IMG]

they're not thumbprint cookies come on. oh well i'd eat em anyway.)

• Winner x 1
  9. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

my dad made a pie of condensed milk and lime juice recently, and it's absolutely delicious! <3

you could make blueberry muffins! that's what I always do (either that, or blueberry pancakes)

• Winner x 3
  10. Emma

• Winner x 6
  11. Emma

I now have the urge to BAKE ALL THE THINGS

Which is probably a bad idea considering I can't feed the things to the kitties and I live by myself :P

12. TheOwlet

bring things to work? That's what i do when the baking urge hits me, I just feed the entire lab

13. Key

Key never make a triangle

Maybe you can freeze some? @Elaienar made me some blueberry scones when she visited me back in ‘17 and left a bunch in the freezer, they kept for a very long time. I can’t remember whether she baked them before she froze them though.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Brunch is mostly leftover beef from tacos and stuff which was going a bit soft in the crisper

IMG_20190510_130405.jpg

• Winner x 7
  15. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I made bread!

[​IMG]

I didn't read the recipe all the way through and didn't have some of the stuff it wanted me to have, and I also shattered a glass pan in an attempt to homebrew a solution to that lack of foresight, but. It's edible bread.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 2
  16. Emma

I am currently experiencing an attack of bakeritis.

I made these this weekend:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/09/peach-shortbread/

Only I make them with nectarines, because I like those better.

And tonight I am spending more time than I probably should baking these:

https://food52.com/recipes/22617-spicy-cheddar-shortbread

I used cumin cheese, because that's what I had in my fridge.

I have a meeting tomorrow that'll start at 17.00 which is peak hungry times for me. It'll last at least an hour and then I still have to drive 45 minutes home. So I'll need something to snack on. I was hungry driving home and that's when I thought something like the above was a good idea :P

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  17. TheOwlet

honestly that sounds like an excellent idea and i might try those...shortbread is good lab food because it keeps forever in a tin

18. Emma

Update: they're delicious and I could have eaten the whole batch in a single sitting. Glad I didn't though, coz that means delicious snacks for me tomorrow.
    One batch got a little overbaked though :( The 12 minutes the recipe says is definitely the max!

I am not sure how well these would hold up multiple days... recipe says 1 day at room temp in a closed container.

• Informative x 1
  19. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I would imagine that using an aged hard cheese like grana padano would extend the shelf life somewhat.

• Agree x 2
  20. Emma

Yeah, probably :) I only had a medium young cheese though, so I will eat all of them today :P

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice