Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i like red bean paste with yogurt. make a yogurt parfait with it if you're feeling fancy, with fruit and a cookie! but mostly i just had it by itself or with chopped nuts on maple flavored yogurt.

• Informative x 3
  2. jacktrash

question: what can you do with ONE (1) banana that is too mooshy to eat?

3. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

4. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

put it in a pancake batter! it's enough for flavor but not so much that it should ruin the balance of the recipe.

• Like x 3
  5. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

I want to make small individual fruit trifles for my family later this week, any pointers?

Haven't done such a thing before but figured it should be pretty simple- fresh fruit is easily had in this area (lots of orchards), and I can just buy a block of pound or angel food cake ready made from a grocery store bakery, and then just some whipped cream or pudding or custard or something else for the filler. Also it's incredibly hot in this area so I figure a small, non-heated dessert might be just the ticket.

I know it'd be better if I did the cake from scratch but it's too hot and I have a mega headache that's not liable to go anywhere this week, so I want to keep it easy :P

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  6. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

boxed cakes are fine, I can give you tips to dress it up. I know I almost never make cakes from scratch because it really does require a lot of work and supplies (if you're making cake from scratch it does matter whether you have cake flour or not, or a flour sifter or not - and if you don't, boxed cake is usually the better idea imo)

• Like x 1
  7. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Oh, sorry, I worded that poorly! I don't want to do any baking at all, the house is really stinking hot all the time here ;3; so I figured I'd just buy a chunk of angel food or pound cake already made at a grocery store's bakery. I know that it's much worse than making it fresh, but I just can't handle the heat right now :(

• Like x 1
  8. idiomie

oh, sorry! i see it now, I misread

it's honestly not that big a difference! esp if you go somewhere that has an in house bakery - one of the Walmarts close to me (not the nearest but not terribly far away) does actually make all of it's baked goods daily (and sells the day old ones at a 50% discount), so if you are worried about it it's not that hard to avoid anyway?

but yeah, because trifles have a lot of moisture from the fruit/whatever filling you use, unless you're using something actively dried out and stale, I think most people would be hard pressed to notice! in my experience, most of the people who would notice would be like me, who bake a lot and have training in noticing those things (local county fair bake offs!) or a sensory sensitivity that would make it obvious - and even then... like, they just shouldn't say shit, that's rude as fuck, tbh

anyway, yeah, go to your local grocery store's bakery! and ask when they made something - they'll likely have angel food or poundcake that was made that day or the day before, and if it's packaged properly, it'll be fine!

the drier whatever you get, the more moisture you'll want in your filling, btw. if it's very fresh poundcake, the lightness and comparative dryness of whipped cream will be nice, but if it's drier or more crumbly, a thicker and moister pudding will help offset that, would be my pointer then

• Useful x 2
  9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

What i grew up knowing as banana milkshake! Take banan, take milk, blend together, drink.

• Like x 3
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
  10. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Thank you! This is very timely because such a banana is languishing in my fridge at this very moment, and I was feeling torn this morning about how its sibling had been only barely acceptable like two days ago. Mooshy banana is saved!

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. jacktrash

our old pal emmy tries pine needle tea. i've been meaning to try it myself sometime but i keep spacing it off, i didn't know it's so simple or that it tastes nice!

• Informative x 2
  12. jacktrash

drool with me.

i think maybe i'll have a shabu shabu party for my birthday. just have a handful of besties over and drink beer and shoot the shit while we swish meats and veggies in broth and dip it in spicy sauces.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  13. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

It's been a hell of a week & I'm making myself cupcakes, so there.

They're in the oven right now - white cake box mix a little dressed up (milk for water, butter for oil, extra egg). Then once they're out and cooling, I'm gonna make fruity whipped cream to top them with!

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
  14. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I have triumphed! Topping recipe is here - I can now say from experience that it's possible for me to make this in my bitty 3cup food processor, although it REALLY means it about pulsing rather than just running the motor, and mine started firming up from the outside in, which was weird at first but didn't create any kind of inconsistent texture in the final whip.

cupcaketriumph.jpg

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
  15. idiomie

i made a huge batch of challah dough last week - the recipe i used usually made too little, but i somehow wound up with enough dough for four full sized loaves, instead of two. so i put two dough balls in the freezer for this week, and made the other two

those two came out... very wrong. they were essentially pancakes, relative to what challah should be - they'd expanded to cover the entire 15x10 baking sheets i had, and were no thicker than an inch and a half

so with much trepidation, i pulled out the dough from the freezer this morning

and can i just say
    CHALLAH.jpg
    THEY LOOK SO PERFECT

i think what i fucked up last week was the rising times - the recipe said to let the braided loaves rise for at least 30-45 minutes, but these were ready to be baked in just 15

• Winner x 7
  16. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

here's my dad's recipe for mashed potato cakes!
    1. prepare mashed potatoes. the way I do it is to peel + quarter about 1-3 small potatoes (a little bigger than palm-sized), heat in salted water (enough to cover the potatoes in the pot) until boiling, then simmer with the lid slightly off for 10-15 minutes. confirm they're cooked by carefully pushing a butterknife through the center--if it goes through without resistance, then the potato is basically cooked
    2. toss in whatever you want to flavor the potatoes--butter, cheese, herbs, spices, etc. mash it all up until it's your desired texture. probably don't make it too loose or crumbly though, since the cakes might fall apart later
    3. shape the mashed potatoes into small palm-sized patties. 1-3 small potatoes mashed up should probably get you 4 potato cakes iirc. dust a board or counter with flour and cover the potatoes on top and bottom with flour
    4. heat oil in a pan and carefully place the potato cakes inside. fry until the potato cakes have developed a golden-brown crust, then flip over and do the same for the other side
    5. pat dry of excess oil on paper towels and then serve. potato cakes go well with a side of bacon, a fried egg or two, or some ketchup, but you can do whatever you prefer!
    my dad recommends not saving the potato cakes, since apparently they're not as great the second time around (if refridgerated, anyway). I haven't personally confirmed this myself, though, but it's probably good to keep in mind

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 2
  17. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

Does anyone have reccs for easy recipes using frozen fruit? My current freezer-clearing plan is to make lots of crumble, but I am currently the only person in the house right now who likes crumble and will get sick of industrial quantities of it, and there is a lot of frozen fruit.

18. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

smoothies? also ice cream, but that wouldn't really clear the freezer as much as maybe reduce the volume of stuff in there

• Useful x 1
  19. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

jams and sauces?

• Useful x 1
  20. idiomie

frozen fruit covered in sugar, and left to sit and come to room temp, makes a good filling for trifles or layer pudding dishes?

frozen fruit, covered in sugar and cooked at medium heat until the sugar melts and makes a syrup in the run off juices, makes a good topping for pancakes and waffles, or filling for crepes. it also keeps decently well in the fridge, for 2-3 months easily, so you can make a big batch to have on hand when you make those things. i don't like crepes reheated, for example, so we always make our fresh, but having the filling premade means there's much less fuss and dishes to deal with

https://www.iheartnaptime.net/perfect-crepe-recipe/ is the crepe recipe we use, because it was the first thing that popped when i searched "crepe batter blender" lmao. but i do like it

https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/homemade-belgian-waffle-recipe/ is the waffle recipe we use

frozen fruit, blended with cream cheese and sugar, makes a good filling for crepes, too, or wontons. i like to go for a 1:1 volume ratio of fruit to cream cheese, but it's really personal preference

frozen fruit, covered in sugar and left to sit, is also good for incorporating into cheesecake - https://www.willcookforsmiles.com/c...nberry-jam-white-chocolate-mousse-cheesecake/ i've done a variation on this recipe, simply replacing the cranberries with a frozen berry mix

i don't have a hard and fast rule for the "frozen fruit + sugar" - it's to taste, but roughly i'd say for sweet fruits (strawberries, peaches, some apples) i'm probably only adding 1/4c sugar per 2 cups of fruit, and on the tarter end (cranberries, raspberries, sometimes cherries, also some apples) i might use 1c to 1.5c sugar to 2c fruit

usually i let it sit for 6-8 hours, and it seems to go faster if it's done sealed on the countertop instead of in the fridge - if i do it in the fridge, i'll probably opt to leave it overnight. cooking it also works, and is best if you want the juices that run off to make a syrup with the sugar and/or to have it done quickly... i just don't usually go to the effort tbh, because i don't like cleaning afterwards

i've been assuming this was some sort of berry mix (some variation of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, generally), but if it's things like peaches or mangoes, trifles will still work

also frozen fruit covered in sugar and left to sit, then blended with yogurt, makes a pretty good breakfast

• Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice