Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

idea: homemade pumpkin ice cream? or you could just put it on ice cream that already exists

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ngl i kinda hoped you would manage it and then tell me how it worked bc jelly is a fuck and never sets for me either
    ah..... rip my jelly dreams....

• Witnessed x 1
  3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

well... yes-ish, i say as local medieval cooking enthusiast, the recommendation is to chuck in a ton of apples and quinces with peel on and pray a lot that the weather won't fuck you over. and considering i can't even get quince juice jelly to set right, even when adding commercial pectin.......................

• Witnessed x 3
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

my sibling advises that you probably need to add more pectin and/or cook it longer. apparently you're supposed to cook until when you dip a cold spoon in the boiling syrup, it drips off in a kind of V shape, though it won't necessarily be a perfect V. they also say you're probably going to fuck it up several times before you get it right, so do small batches at first, and you could re-try with the syrup!

• Like x 1
  5. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

The only remotely useful looking things, which I typically can no longer find, were someone saying to try boiling it five minutes longer, and a very old document suggesting adding more of the setting stuff though it was unclear exactly what stuff they meant even to the person presenting it.

6. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

doesn’t pectin break down if you boil it? i got that impression from all the “boil only one minute!!” stuff.

• Like x 1
  7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

sibling says boiling won't break it down, but it will make the jelly texture sweet spot harder to hit before it turns gummy, so probably you should bring it to a boil and then turn it back down to a simmer and test frequently.

disclaimer: my sibling is not a jelly expert or anything, but they did make perfect batches of both peach and crabapple jelly last month, a skill that has eluded my mother for years. they recommend looking up the ball jar company's jelly recipes and using those as a base. apparently they have recipes for a bunch of different kinds of fruit!

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

chili before.jpg

chiliafter.jpg

it's going to be 25 degrees F this week... -_- so i made chili to get me through! i forgot to put the beans in to soak last night, but i parboiled them for 20 minutes this morning and then let them soak 4ish hours, and it worked well enough. the texture is a little grittier but not too bad. (not pictured: onion and garlic i forgot to put in the photo.)

• Winner x 5
  9. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Li made snowballs and took some artsy food-blogger photos

IMG-20191113-WA0000.jpg IMG-20191113-WA0001.jpg

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 2
  10. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

• Winner x 5
    • Informative x 2
  11. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

ohhh my god now i'm craving gulyás

• Witnessed x 1
  12. jacktrash

i looked at the US and they are missing several important soups! i wonder what it would take to get them to put pumpkin soup, butternut squash soup, and wild rice soup on there. very important cuisine items!

• Agree x 2
  13. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I dislike that germany just gets noodle soup like??? No?? Where is my liver dumplings soup?

14. jacktrash

that does not sound at all delicious, but then, wild rice/mushroom/duck soup probably sounds gamy and potentially poisonous to a lot of people, but it's one of the true joys of autumn. so i will take on faith that german cooks know what they're doing, putting liver in soup.

edit:

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-minnesota-wild-rice-mushroom-soup-recipes-from-the-kitchn-164295

i can't find a good recipe for the Real Deal, probably because it's just this really basic rural staple that you just. know how to do. if you hunt ducks and live in rice country. idk. but if you take this recipe, make it with duck stock and shreds of leftover roast duck (ideally that was shot the previous morning and roasted the previous afternoon), and use wild chanterelles and hen-of-the-wood, you've got your Ultimate Minnesota Soup.

i'm pretty sure it can bring a frozen corpse back to life.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    • Winner x 3
  15. TheOwlet

The liver gets ground up, mixed with beeadcrumbs, egg, seasoning and formed to little (or larger) dumplings and i assure you it's very good.

• Like x 1
  16. jacktrash

hm, that does sound promising! so it's not stewing in the broth and making it taste all mineral, it's a flavoring in egg dumplings? now i'm intrigued.

17. TheOwlet

I mean the dumplings are then thrown in the broth to Cook but they really don't need much time. But the liver *is* the main ingredient in the dumplings, it's just that with the bread and the seasoning it's quite nice?

But then i also like Organ meat so maybe i'm just weird

• Like x 1
  18. Emma

Some iterations of liver are delicious. I'm thinking mainly of Leverworst (Liverwurst) and especially the sort that is ground a little coarsely. Delicious!

• Agree x 1
  19. TheOwlet

God now i am graving a good coarse Leberwurst how can You do this to me emma

20. Emma

(Sorry for the double post, I had additional thoughts :P)

I'm just really, really excited that the traditional Groninger Mustardsoup was mentioned! Us Dutchies hardly ever get a look in when it comes to these things. Let alone a soup specifically from my region

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice