Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I did it to myself too! Leverworst is currently not on the approved foods list :'(

• Witnessed x 2
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I gotta ask, what's a mustard soup like?

3. Emma

Delicious <3 :P

A bit like warm creamy liquidy mustard, and best served with bits of fried bacon and chopped up leek.

If you're ever round these parts I'll take you somewhere to have some. Or I could mail you some either canned or bagged.

• Like x 1
  4. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

is......tasty

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 1
  5. TheOwlet

Ngl hat sounds quite tempting, and the netherlands are quite close enough for a weekend trip...

ETA: sweet or regulär mustard?

6. Emma

Do remember that I live way up north ;)

Regular mustard, coarse is best.

https://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-by-national-cuisine/dutch/mustard-soup/

The recipe is at the end, there's a bit of history and such above, including a description of the city I live in :)

7. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

I have never been able to eat any kind of liver. There is something about the smell of it that registers to my brain as ROTTEN, even if it's supposed to be very mild like calf or chicken liver.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Witnessed x 2
  8. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

ok so turkey. cooking time. 13 mins per pound unstuffed, 15 mins per pound stuffed. so... if you put stuff like onions and apples in the cavity, which does that count as?

i mean obvs i will check with a thermometer but it's bugging me

9. TheOwlet

Should count as stuffed, because it...is stuffed.

• Agree x 2
  10. jacktrash

you would think so, but all the professional chefs are like "don't stuff your turkey! i never stuff turkeys! here's my turkey recipe, put two whole lemons inside" and i'm like... so that isn't... stuffed? i guess?

maybe because it isn't a solid mass, like bread stuffing would be. hot air can circulate through.

• Informative x 1
  11. TheOwlet

well then I'm just confused

12. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I think it's probable that you don't need to count flavour-infusing ingredients in the cavity as stuffing, because only with a traditional stuffing you would need to add time for the sausage meat and/or raw binding ingredients to cook through.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  13. jacktrash

oh! yeah, that makes sense. bread stuffing absorbs raw turkey juices, so it has to cook through as well, and that's a fairly dense mass too.

so if i'm just putting in a quartered apple and a quartered onion, i should use the unstuffed cooking time.

• Agree x 1
  14. jacktrash

behold: the teeniest squash! i grew it in my very own dirt!
    8C8C9490-B975-4946-BCB5-8E032BF93408.jpeg

and then... i ATE it.

A01BF294-3E6B-4513-A5A3-0B597CCFB4FD.jpeg

it was delicious!

• Winner x 14
  15. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

my Thanksgiving contributions this year!

casserole1.jpg
    casserole2.jpg

green bean casserole-- from scratch! i used this recipe with baby portabellas. (also i didn't make my own crispy onions, honestly i love the French's ones so much i didn't want to mess with perfection.) i haven't eaten the finished product yet, but i tried the components-- the mushroom sauce is super rich and flavorful, and the green beans are just perfectly cooked, still with a little bit of snap.

clafoutis.jpg

raspberry clafoutis! i made this last year and it was a hit-- more of it got eaten than the pumpkin pie, which i count as a Thanksgiving win. a super-easy and super-delicious dessert.

• Winner x 10
  16. chthonicfatigue

Pan-seared duck breast with sea salt and aromatic cracked pepper, finished in the oven, with garlic and ancho chilli butternut squash roasted in the spare duck fat.

IMG_20191130_193540.jpg
    (The pasta side came from a bag in the freezer, because lazy.)

• Winner x 12
  17. TheOwlet

made today: rabbit stew from the left over bits of easter rabbit (so: torso and innards which have been sitting in buttermilk overnight), carrots, parsnip, celery root, leeks, dried mushrooms and in the proud stew tradition of 'whatever is left in the fridge: two egg yolks stirred in.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    • Winner x 7
  18. Emma

• Winner x 3
  19. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

Rollout sugar cookies for when you want the shapes to not melt into oblivion. makes a very firm, crisp cookie, perfect for frosting.
    • 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
    • 2 cups white sugar
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 5 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    Mix the butter and sugar till blended and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla, blend again till combined. Add the rest of the ingredients. I found it's easiest to mix this part by hand actually, adding the flour bit by bit. You'll wind up with some stiff playdough by the end. Cover it securely with plastic wrap or put it in a bag and leave it overnight. In the morning it'll be stiff as fuck, have a strong person knead it out till it softens enough to roll decently. I'm not kidding, I got a workout with this stuff. Cut out shapes when it's 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Bake at 400 degrees till browned at the edges, 5-8 minutes.

• Winner x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  20. chthonicfatigue

Behold the odds'n'ends from my understocked kitchen, transformed into dinner via the power of being too tired to care

IMG_20191220_191106.jpg
    Moroccan lentil soup from a can, added extra chilli, garlic, ginger, cumin, aromatic cracked peppercorns, the remnants of a bag of frozen butternut squash chunks, poached up eggs in it, crumbled some feta on top, eaten with sweet potato tortilla.

• Winner x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice