Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

If you cut it into thin strips and then stir fry the strips with some seasoning you could use some now and then freeze the rest in a few batches, and then pull them out as you want to use them.

• Informative x 1
  2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I made a vodka sauce from scratch tonight! Using only the knowledge that vodka sauce is a broad category based around tomato+vodka+cream, and some tips and tricks I've gleaned from a sudden interest in reading lots of cooking blog posts again. I don't really have a recipe, but I want to try to write down what I did.

Fill the big (8qt) pot about 2/3-3/4 with water, add a generous amount of kosher salt, and start heating to boil. (This takes a long time on my stove, but I was unfortunately not looking at a clock.)

Put a big 12inch saucepan on the other burner, start heat, add about 2-3 TB olive oil. Heat until it's just shimmery on the surface, not until it steams or smokes. Add about a tablespoon of minced garlic, saute for 30-45 seconds. Shake in some italian seasoning & stir well, then add the entire contents of a little can of tomato paste. Stir and mix that around for quite a while - the olive oil darkens it some, but we're trying to caramelize the tomato sugars, so deeeeep brick to burgundy color is what we're looking for, several minutes of cooking on medium high.

Once you're happy with that, pour 1/3 cup vodka directly in! It will sizzle a lot. This is deglazing the pan, and getting all those cooked-on bits up and into your food rather than just being a pain to clean later. Mix that in thoroughly with your tomato paste mix until it's mostly smooth. Add onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste. After cooking for a minute or two, add chicken stock - I emptied our jar, but it was probably about 1-1.5 cups. Again, mix until smooth, and taste to see if it needs more salt.

If you haven't started it already, your water is probably boiling and you should put your pasta in it. I used a pound of the medium/small shells.

I let my sauce reduce while the pasta was cooking. When I had about 3 minutes left on the timer, I turned the heat to low & added somewhere between 2/3-3/4 cup heavy cream + a good squirt of basil paste and mixed it thoroughly, and let it gently warm back up. When the pasta is al dente or even sliiiightly undercooked, drain it quickly and toss it into the sauce. Let it finish cooking in the sauce to the perfect texture, and then serve!

I ate mine with some lunchmeat ham shredded in since I didn't have a convenient other protein, but that was actually super tasty. This fed our family of three neatly with no leftovers, although that's partly due to my sis eating their share after getting home from (labor intensive package handling) work & practically inhaling food.

• Winner x 3
  3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Highly Suspect Peanut Noodles

Stuff
    Noodles (I used lo mein but you do you)
    Carrots
    Tofu

Sauce
    Soy sauce
    Peanut butter
    Rice vinegar
    Sesame oil
    Brown sugar (whoops forgot to put this in list)
    Garlic and ginger
    Water

Steps
    1. Prep vegetables and protein. I did carrots and tofu because of ease and availability. I tend to pan fry the tofu until it's fairly crisp so that it keeps it shape better. I also boil the carrots because it's the easiest way for me to be able to eat them. In any case, make them however you like. Set aside when cooked to your liking. These will be going back on the heat, so if you don't like super soft vegetables you might want to cook slightly less than you would otherwise.

2. While that's going, make the sauce. I used about 3 oz of noodles and just kind of winged it, sauce-wise. I ended up using roughly the following measurements:
    1 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 Tbsp peanut butter, heated briefly in the microwave to make it more stirrable
    1 Tbsp of brown sugar
    1 tsp rice vinegar
    1/2 tsp sesame oil
    1/2 tsp each ground ginger and garlic
    A little bit of water to thin down the sauce slightly, it was very thick

I whisked everything together and added water until I got a consistency I was happy with.

3. Prep your noodles. Al dente is good because you're going to be putting them back on the heat. You might want to start them before making the sauce if they've got a longer cooking time, but mine had a very short cook time.

4. Drain noodles and add to a pan on medium heat with a bit of oil. Stir to separate and break up any clumps. Add the protein/veg and mix as well as you can. Finally, add sauce and just do your best to get it distributed. I probably could have thinned mine out more, because it did not mix well and my sauce distribution wasn't perfect.

5. Leave on heat until everything is heated through and coated in sauce to your liking.

6. Serve as-is or add garnishes like chopped peanuts, green onions, or sesame seeds.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
  4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

What suspect about them?

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Their authenticity (considering, like, what I imagine are more traditional peanut noodle dishes)

Otherwise they are just a pretty easy dish that turned out better than I expected :>

• Informative x 1
  6. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

... sounds pretty close to the peanut chicken noodles my local Chinese takeaway does, tbh.

• Agree x 1
  7. afarewelltokings

afarewelltokings the internet's #1 Julia Child fan

Okay everyone, I need intel on an item. Morgan and I found these frozen Utz "cheese filled cheeseballs" at Walmart. We have never heard of these before. I can barely find info on them.
    Utz-Cheese-Filled-Cheese-Balls.jpg

They're really good and this is troubling me that I cannot find any information about them.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  8. blue

blue hightown funk you up

oh my god. those look like a parody of cheese products

• Agree x 6
  9. afarewelltokings

afarewelltokings the internet's #1 Julia Child fan

they were pretty questionable

10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

today I made pad thai and my sibling made bruléed bananas! also we encountered some wild girl scouts and went to ihop! it was a good food day :D

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. blue

Trying to have fun cooking while stuck at home with somewhat limited ingredients!

Yesterday: dutch baby
    Today: egg potato hash >:3 (no recipe for this one, just messing around. potatoes were a little undercooked but still tasty.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wish I had got a picture of the dutch baby right as it came out of the oven, it was so much puffier!

• Winner x 3
  12. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'm about to liberate 5 cans of coconut milk from my parents' house that are a few months past the expiration dates, definitely aren't going to get used, and I'd like to use up before they get enough more past the expiration date that I start getting nervous. Anybody have suggestions?

13. blue

Half a cup of jasmine rice (maybe other rice too?) cooked in a cup of coconut milk (I’ve only used Lite™️ but I am not sure) makes really tasty coconut rice!

14. blue

Self-isolation cooking party day 2: Egg hash take 2, and the family bean-corn-carrot salad!

I cut the potatoes smaller this time, and they were better cooked (although STILL not quite done in some spots). And then I also didn’t cook the egg long enough so the white was still a little runny. But the yolk broken and mixed in with the potato..... Good
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bean-corn-carrot salad doesn’t have an official Recipe, but I bothered my mom for a rough one:
    Combine 1 rinsed can of beans, 1/2 to 1 cup of corn (optionally blackened in a pan), 2-3 carrots chopped into small pieces, 1 can of rinsed quartered olives, and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro if you’ve got it. Dress with a whisked mixture of 3tbs olive oil, 1tb lime juice, 2tb red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and a pinch of cumin. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

15. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

slow cooker curry!

16. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Coconut milk pudding!

• Agree x 1
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

does anyone know what would cause a new sourdough starter to separate? my sibling started one yesterday, and this morning there was about 3/4 of an inch of liquid sitting on top. opened it up to stir it about half an hour ago and it’s already separating back out.

18. blue

ok ok a triumph of my series of Miscellaneous Egg Hashes. today i cooked the potatoes and onions with a bit of malt vinegar and then worcestershire sauce in addition to my usual olive oil. i also cooked them on high heat at first and then for a longer time on low heat. and i cooked the egg separately and then put it on top and broke the yolk into the potatoes. the best so far!

[​IMG]

• Winner x 3
  19. paladinkit

I showed this question to my sis, our household sourdough whisperer, and this is what they had to say:

• Every starter is an individual and can have their own quirks, but 3/4 inch and separating that fast is in fact pretty weird
    • That said, when a starter is new (or recovering from neglect) is when they are the weirdest. You could just keep up with regular feedings and see how it evens out.
    • It's possible your current starter microbiome doesn't think it needs as much water as you've been giving it! In that case-
      • If you just keep feeding it like usual, it will probably adapt
      • If you've been measuring for feeding by volume, maybe try measuring by weight to make sure you're not adding more water (by weight) than flour (by weight), because if you are you might be adding too much water for the flour to absorb
      • If you want it to adjust faster, you could try adding a small amount of a friend's starter or a commercially available starter to seed the microbiome with more robust yeasty boys

• Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  20. paladinkit

Also... You said you started yesterday?

If you're trying to catch wild yeasts but keeping it in an airtight container, it's going to populate extremely slowly if at all. Try loosely covering instead! Some methods:
    • Tea towel or paper towel over the top with a rubber band
    • A flip-top sealing jar, only with the rubber gasket taken out
    • Any jar with the lid set on loosely rather than screwed in/snapped on tight

• Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice