Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

White cannellini beans + tuna + red onion + Italian vinaigrette on leaves of choice is very good, can recommend

If you like a cronchy crouton experience then toasted sunflower seeds or cashews or pistachios all go well in salads for extra protein

Charred fennel, asparagus and tenderstem broccoli dressed in something garlicky and creamy with some shaved pecorino or grana padano is excellent, can top with a poached egg and done crisp bacon for Very Hearty Lunch

I also like infused oils for salads without having to faff on with making a dressing

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Useful x 2
  2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Today i had (from a salad place but still doable from home i think)

Greens
    Bits of chicken
    Cubed (smoked?) Firm tofu
    Feta
    Bell pepper/capsicum slices
    Mushroom slices (listed as "marinated" not sure in what)
    Cucumber slices (also marinated)
    Pesto dressing, but i could put like a vegan greek dressing on it instead

• Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

PIE
    [​IMG]
    (apple)

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 2
  4. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

thank you for introducing me to the idea of shrub. it's like lemonade but I don't have to be in the mood for lemons. also I love vinegar. too much.

• Agree x 1
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

[​IMG]
    peach blackberry ginger lemonade!! sweetened with peach jelly and crystallized ginger. if you make it in a blender it foams way up it’s awesome

• Winner x 6
  6. chthonicfatigue

Peanut butter no-bake cheesecake with a cocoa base and 85% dark chocolate shavings

IMG_20200713_211233.jpg IMG_20200713_211307.jpg

Can't overstate how incredibly satisfying and rich this is omg

• Winner x 7
  7. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Please share the recipe....

• Agree x 3
  8. chthonicfatigue

Recipe, such as it is, for high fat and low carb cheesecake.

base was crushed coconut flour Oreo cookies with a mix of 2tbsp melted cocoa butter and about the same of unsalted butter, pushed into a loose based 6in tin and chilled.

Filling was 150g cream cheese, a scant tbsp erythritol-stevia (I use Castello 1:1 and find even that sweet tbh), 100g natural and unsweetened peanut butter, 50g double cream, 1 tsp vanilla paste, and a half tbsp melted butter to help it set up (could use coconut oil), well incorporated in a blender. It should be decently stiff to spoon out, but not unworkable.

85% chocolate shavings were done with a very sharp knife, I think there's maybe half a square there or less (about 5g).

Precision: not my strong suit, at least not in baking.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Informative x 4
    • Winner x 1
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I have basically no experience cooking with beef, since my family hardly ever eats it. however I need to get more protein in my diet so I bought a thing of thin sliced sirloin on sale last week. does anyone have suggestions on what I should do with it?

10. TheOwlet

Slice into strips and stir-fry with veg!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  11. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Fajitas! I have a marinade recipe running around somewhere if that's a thing you like.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  12. chthonicfatigue

Thin sirloin doesnt need much cooking time so I'd suggest either rubbing it with some garlic and lightly grilling it on both sides (minute steak) or, if you prefer, cutting it into strips and stirfrying with veg and a choice of sauce. Part cook the veg first, so you don't end up with tough meat or undercooked veggies - particularly if serving with broccoli or carrot.

Remember to rest the meat if you do it as steaks, too! Good rule of thumb is let it rest for about the same time as it took to cook in the pan. Believe me, the taste and texture difference is worth it.

• Like x 1
  13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

stir-fry sounds good! I can do stir fry! I'm guessing with that you don't have to worry about rarity or whatever.

I've never made fajitas but could I get that recipe for future reference? :U

14. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Chicken marinade/vegetable dressing for fajitas
    1 cup vegetable or canola oil
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    Juice of two whole lemons or limes
    1 tsp honey
    Cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to taste
    Several generous shakes Mexican seasoning such as adobo
    Salt to taste
    Whisk all ingredients briskly together or pour into jar or bottle and shake vigorously.

Place two chicken breasts in a ziploc bag and pour half of the mixture over them. Seal bag tightly with most of the air out. Squish the chicken around to spread the marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes.

While chicken is marinating, prep your veg. Peel one whole white onion and slice into slivers. Cut up two or three bell peppers, without seeds, or five to six small sweet peppers, also deseeded, into similar sized slivers. Set aside.

Ten minutes before chicken has finished marinating, lightly oil a large skillet and heat to medium high. Add peppers and onion and coat with half the remaining marinade. Cook for two to three minutes, stirring constantly, and add the rest of the marinade. Cook for two more minutes and remove from heat. Remove chicken from marinade and slice into strips. Return pan to maximum heat and add chicken strips to peppers and onions. Cook for five to eight minutes or until chicken strips are cooked through, stirring occasionally. Serve with warm tortillas and avocado or sour cream. Edit: recipe works best in an oven safe pan such as cast iron

This is fine for steak as well, reduce marinating time to fifteen minutes and cook steak two to three minutes a side depending ontthickness

• Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

thank you! that looks delicious!! I will make it... sometime, not this week since I just went shopping and didn't get any of those things, but probably next week!

• Winner x 2
  16. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

scones! one batch of blackberry pear, one batch of cinnamon pecan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 16
  17. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

This is the prettiest blackberry and apple pie I've ever made, I think. Make of that what you will. Also I'm gonna try and make my own blackberry and elderberry wine this year, so pray for me XD

1598719046404-1.JPEG

• Winner x 17
    • Like x 1
  18. bornofthesea670

I bought the ingredients for scones and didnt end up making them, I'm going to try to get in the habit once the weather cools down. Love those things. Anyone else grate their butter so it's easier to work with? One of the best things I started doing.

• Informative x 2
  19. TheOwlet

How do you avoid having melted butter on your hands? I've tried grating it, and even with a frozen pack of butter it was deeply frustrating.

• Agree x 1
  20. bornofthesea670

I do it quickly, and if the nub at the end gets too hard to grate I throw it in with the rest of the grated butter and work it into the dry stuff. The nub is normally only like a tablespoon though. I cant think of any tips for you, sorry. Butter and yeast arent my strong suits XD I am not ever planning on making croissants

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice