Kintsugi Kitchen

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by jacktrash, May 19, 2015.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I'm lucky, there's both a Jamaican and an Arabic market within 5 minutes of my place and I think they both sell goat. I got this from the Jamaican place. It's a little hard to tell what meats the Arabic place has, since they aren't really labeled and I feel slightly uncomfortable asking, so I might just grab something that looks like goat and hope for the best lol.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I made potstickers! They were very "first attempt at an unfamiliar recipe"-y, but still tasted pretty good with soy sauce.

• Winner x 6
  3. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I wrote down my family garlic bread recipe!

Me and my friend had our first movie night since covid last weekend, so to celebrate the occasion I made a big pot of veggie/mushroom pasta (they're a non meat eater) and this garlic bread. They liked it so much they inhaled all that I didn't eat myself and then begged for the recipe, lol XD

Non UK people will have to Google to translate oven temps but other than that it's pretty simple and Very Tasty :)

• Winner x 6
  4. LadyNighteyes

I'm making an effortfood to celebrate being able to turn on my oven again, and it involves thyme, and only after I dumped it in did I notice that my failure to read all the words on the box because many of them were in Arabic resulted in me buying something that says "THYME" in big letters on the front and then on the side there is an ingredient list that starts out, "Thyme, spices-"

Whatever this does to the recipe is either going to send me directly to heaven or to hell.

• Witnessed x 5
  5. LadyNighteyes

effortfood.png
    I've said this before, but this stuff has absolutely no right whatsoever to be a fairly easy recipe. It always comes out looking like it was made by someone who actually cares what the food they cook looks like with no particular effort on my part. It feels like I'm cheating at something.

• Winner x 4
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

that looks amazing, what is it?

7. LadyNighteyes

Greek chicken with roasted potatoes.
    Ingredients:
    4 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts or thighs
    1 1/2 pounds potatoes chopped into bite-sized hunks
    2 lemons, sliced
    1 tomato, diced
    1/2 c kalamata olives, chopped as much as you feel like
    1/4 feta cheese
    fresh parsley

Spice gloop:
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp dried thyme
    2 tsp oregano
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley
    1/4 c olive oil
    1. Preheat oven to 400F.
    2. Throw all the spice gloop ingredients in a food processor, or just chop up the parsley and stir it all up.
    3. Rub the chicken with about half the spice gloop and put it on a baking sheet with the lemons. The rest of the spice gloop gets tossed with the potatoes, which also go on the baking sheet around the chicken.
    4. Chicken and lemon and potatoes go in the oven for about 30 minutes (or until the chicken's cooked through).
    5. Turn the oven on broil for like 5-10 minutes until the chicken skin looks toasty.
    6. Take it out, put tomato and olives and feta and more parsley on top, admire your handiwork.

• Winner x 4
  8. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

the fact that 'put a bunch of stuff in the oven with spices and broil it' is both healthy and low spoons continues to baffle me. my sister would do a sheet bake of like, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and chicken with some garlic and stuff and it was like.. just eating a pile of vegetables shouldn't be this satisfying what is this witchcraft

• Agree x 5
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

[​IMG]
    turned out amazing <3

• Winner x 8
  10. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

This isn't healthy, but i have a loaf of nice bread, quality butter, dippin oil, and fig preserves

I am content.

• Winner x 5
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

• Winner x 1
  12. bornofthesea670

cafehailee on YouTube and tiktok has some great recipes and is just overall really peaceful to watch. Her shorts (on YouTube but presumably tiktok) are just cooking noises, no background. She talks a little bit. Her recipe for macaroni and cheese is intriguing, she makes it "like a risotto" by cooking some garlic and finely chopped onion until softened and then adding the dry uncooked pasta, then adding stock bit by bit until the pasta is cooked. Then melt cheese in and bake with preferred toppings. Though I would skip that step, i like gooey mac, im not a crunchy topping person.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. PotteryWalrus

Maybe not on topic, but for the holidays me and mum split the price (some £25, give or take) of an ENTIRE SIDE OF SMOKED SALMON XD

Holy shit guys, just. It's ethically farmed and completely different animal from the slices you get at the supermarket, rich and soft as butter and so, so tasty, I just can't describe how much better it is than a food I already consider my If You Could Only Have One Protein #1.

We've been happily plugging away at it like bears in autumn, and I'll be very surprised if it lasts into next week, never mind the new year.

I've also never felt so close to my western European palaeolithic ancestors, too. Smoking fish is such a good tasty idea, I am so glad someone around that time thought it up <3

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    • Winner x 9
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

[​IMG]
    I made savillum! haven't dug in yet but it looks amazing :D

• Useful x 3
    • Winner x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

update: it came out amazing! very dense, much heavier than regular cheesecake. also I agree with OP about the sweetness. if I make this again, I'll probably double the honey and try adding an extra egg. it's still absolutely delicious as is though! it'll make a fantastic breakfast!

• Winner x 2
  16. bornofthesea670

I don't love goat cheese, but I've not had plain unflavored goat cheese, so maybe I'd like this better. I would probably make a butchered smaller version of this to test so I wouldn't waste so much cheese XD

• Agree x 2
  17. PotteryWalrus

You know what, I love greek goat cheese and honey, I could totally give that a go.

• Like x 1
  18. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

christmas cooking:

stirfry of lamb and eggplant, pomegrante reduction for sauce, manti (lil turkish dough pockets, unfilled in this case), roasted chickpeas, yogurt sauce.

• Winner x 9
  19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

the goat cheese flavor is definitely strong, but the honey and poppy as well as the hint of egg balance it out well. here's a picture of the inside - the texture is almost comparable to Stilton, dense, grainy, and soft.
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 3
  20. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

[​IMG]
    broke in the christmas present with homemade beef stew :D
    here is recipe, adapted from fanny farmer cookbook. also i measure from the heart so these measurements are more like loose guidelines
    2 lbs stew beef
    1⁄2 cup flour
    1⁄2 teaspoon salt
    1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    4 tablespoons shortening (i use butter)
    4 cups water
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons better than boullion beef
    1 large yellow onion, sliced
    2 bay leaves
    1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
    12 small carrots, trimmed and peeled
    12 whole white pearl onions, peeled
    8 small red potatoes, cut into small chunks (peeling optional, i didn't)
    1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into uniform chunks

mix flour salt and pepper in a bowl and toss the beef in the flour. brown the beef in a dutch oven with the butter/shortening (in batches if need be so as not to crowd the bottom). add all the beef back into a pot; add the lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, sugar, better than boullion, yellow onion, bay leaves, and allspice in the pot and bring to a boil. reduce to a simmer and let it go covered for 1.5-2 hours. then add all the vegetables + more salt and pepper to taste and let it go another 20-30 minutes. ngl i threw all the veetables and spices in together this time and it was fine so it might be worth it to throw it all in at once if you don't want vegetables with more bite.

i like to eat it with slices of brown bread to dip into the broth

• Winner x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice