Kintsugi open-table TRPG game? (TIME PIRATES)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by Wiwaxia, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

So, been poking at stuff a bit more for this.

First order of business: do other people want to help me set this up?
    If not, should I keep posting stuff here as I think of it, or should I wait until I've got it all together and then post it all at once as like a coherent set of character creation rules?

Classes (1d12 or pick):
    1 Swashbuckler
    2 Hero
    3 Berserker
    4 Gunner
    5 Bomber
    6 Magician
    7 Witch
    8 Holy Man/Holy Woman/Godbotherer
    9 Carpenter-Surgeon
    10 Tomb Robber
    11 Scientist
    12 Scout?

Species (1d12 or pick or talk to DM about making something custom)
    1-6 Human
    7 Giant
    8 Merrow
    9 Intelligent animal (needs better name)
    10 Robot
    11 ???
    12 ???

XP by treasure plundered and spent or buried (1xp per piece of eight?) (treasure applied directly to upgrading ship or weapons does not net you xp, but should be worth more than xp anyways). Additional xp for carousing and maybe also for boasting if I can figure out a nice subsystem for that.

tables for dogs, cats and small dinosaurs available for purchase as part of equipment list

• Like x 1
  2. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

What's the difference between a magician and a witch? Also, are the animals entirely animal shaped or are they a bit humanish? Because if so I may do an aerialist Bomber.

3. Wiwaxia

Magician is your standard Dnd wizard-type with Vancian spells, witches brew potions and they have different random level-up tables. More concrede differences pending me actually getting those things written up.

Animals are entirely animal shaped and often can't talk, although they can understand speech perfectly well and communicate in other ways. Think the Librarian.

4. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

I'm not really up for trying to help with setupy stuff but I'd like to play, esp since it's gonna be amenable to dropping in and out. I haven't thought much about character creation or anything yet but since I've been sperging on medical history lately I kinda want to play a carpenter-surgeon, plus I have a lotr field medic OC I might port over.

5. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

I'll help set up. I love world- and encounter-building.

6. Wiwaxia

Sweet! Do you mind if I pick your brain on that when I start setting up the carpenter-surgeon?

@Aviari
    Ooooh, do you wanna work on future history/alternate timelines on the Wrong Side of History?
    I was thinking some time period that's all Mad Max-y and then technologic nonspecific spacefuture (where the Time Police come from)

• Like x 1
  7. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

just dropping in to say that a) i am game to help out with any sort of worldbuilding, love that shit so much and b) i love the idea of this!! the main reason i havent tried to get involved in any other RP stuff here is because i tend to get overwhelmed with large groups that post really frequently, having something low-stress and "post when you want" like this sounds super fun and super something id be into

8. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

i'd be happy to help! i'm currently about halfway through a serious of very overviewy books about medical history (i have a giant reading list but have been too busy with work to dig in as much as i'd like (wweh)), and then i'm gonna start in on more specific stuff. most of the books i have on my list are focused on medieval stuff because this obsession spawned from research for a lotr fic, but the libraries i have access to have many books on many things, and it is all so cool. there's even a book about the history of surgery at sea i found the other day when i went in to pick stuff up, which i might read next after finishing what i have checked out currently (either that or general history of surgery, or the two books i found on the history of battlefield medicine).

btw are our characters all originating from the same time period, or can it/will it vary?

• Like x 1
  9. Wiwaxia

It'll vary (you could even hypothetically have a character born in the Pirate City in like 93,000,000 BCE), but everyone starts with access to approximately Age of Sail weaponry and maybe the occasional broken piece of futuretech.

• Like x 1
  10. Aviari

Mad Max meets BladeRunner? *grabby hands*

• Like x 1
  11. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

All I know is I need a talking pirate dog.

12. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

In my head is a weird artsy wizard kid whose backstory is Bastion crossed with Papo y Yo. He also needs a talking pirate dog, but not in the same sense.

13. Wiwaxia

You wanna do it? I'm willing to toss that ball entirely into your court if you want. Or I could set up like a brainstory (leaving that typo) google doc if that's more your speed.

14. Aviari

I'M ALWAYS A SLUT FOR GOOGLE DOCS

I could take it, but it'll be a lot of world building and it would be Pathfinder, because that's my style of choice. Oh fuck me I'll have to figure out the roll20 site.

As far as playstyle goes, what I'd like to do is a set night every week where whoever wants to roll in does so. We don't even need an explanation as to how someone showed up halfway through an encounter one week to the next. Just. VOMF. TIME MAJYYKS.

"Story" will have to be loose as hell so people can drop in and out. Think Skyrim or One Piece, where yes generally you're supposed to go warn people about dragons/find the mystic treasure but no one really gives a shit if you fuck off around the map for three literal months. Each week will be a new encounter/adventure.

I tend to roll more with High Fantasy than Bladerunner BUT that's not to say you can't MAKE those characters or that we won't roll up on an "island" in time where everything is chrome. Oh and your space laser will not obliterate things in the Middle Ages. Time Magic says so.

• Like x 1
  15. Aviari

DAMMIT WIX WHAT HAVE YOU DONE I HAD SUCCESSFULLY BURIED MY GM BRAIN AND YOU DUG IT BACK UP ily <3

also I propose the Game Name be: "Shit, Let's Be Time Pirates."

• Like x 3
  16. Wiwaxia

That's about what I was thinking for playstyle, yeah. Maybe have an "A funny thing happened on the way back to the ship" complication chart for when people don't quite make it back at the end of a session.
    I'd also like ideally to get a number of gms who can run it.

I think it should be on Earth, so I get a chance to put all this sweet paleo knowledge to use, which pushes it a little more pulpy/low fantasy than high fantasy, if that's cool. There's also always the other side of the timestream for stuff that doesn't fit nice in (current) history
    I think your space laser should obliterate everything in the middle ages, but like, so will Excalibur (and a working space laser should be about as hard to get).

• Like x 1
  17. Aviari

I threw a doc link into your inbox :D LET'S DO THIS SHIT

18. Wiwaxia

added this to first post

• Like x 1
  19. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Ooh, I want Changeling to be a race. Or, sort of a race? it's not really possible to have changeling parents I guess...

• Like x 1
  20. Wiwaxia

@Astrodynamicist Can I get a medical history information download to help think of stuff for the Carpenter-Surgeon?

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice