Kintsugi Plays Dragon Age: Inquisition (There Are No Therapists)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by OnnaStik, Dec 14, 2015.

1. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

2. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

Okay, looks like horsies, then Val Royeaux.
    [​IMG]
    Our path leads first through the little tunnel next to Whittle, as you can probably tell from the blanket talk. There's some chests in here, too.
    [​IMG]
    Not much of interest, but a hat and a slightly better staff for Solas.
    [​IMG]
    We emerge onto the West Road. It's... not in great shape.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  3. OnnaStik

[​IMG]
    Mmm, tactical mode. Makes the fights so much less stressy.
    [​IMG]
    On the other hand, see that mage there? He just spawned right there, right now, right on camera. I am literally still cleaning up after the last fight and already more enemies are showing up. That's how bad it is on the fucking West Road.
    [​IMG]
    We can handle them and all, and I'm sure it's great for grinding if you want to do that, but I've got shit to do!
    [​IMG]
    Solas doesn't seem to approve of the forum's decision. Tough luck, egghead, you were outvoted.

• Like x 2
  4. OnnaStik

This part of the game must be about not getting bogged down in every combat you see, so I sidle off all roguey.
    [​IMG]
    And tell everyone else to disengage and come meet me at this burning shack I just broke into. Inside, codex get!

Within the Diamond Quarter of Orzammar lies the Shaperate, a branch of dwarven society so ancient that the dwarves themselves do not know when or where it began. They are the keepers of history for a people who have never known the sun or seasons, and who track time by the lives and deaths of kings. But they are not mere historians. They are craftsmen. For the living history of the dwarves is not written, but forged. "The Memories," as the dwarves call their records, are runes painstakingly crafted from lyrium which contain the actual thoughts of the Shapers who made them.

The making of runes is not restricted solely to the Shapers. The most commonly useful kind are crafted by many members of the Smith Caste from lyrium and other magically reactive metals and can imbue a variety of fascinating new properties to an item when properly applied, just as the runes of Tevinter design do. But runes are found everywhere in dwarven artwork and not all serve a practical purpose - at least, not one that's known. They are carved onto houses and store fronts. They are embroidered on garments. Etched in glassware. Even painted on chamber pots.

The meanings of the symbols themselves are sacred knowledge kept by the Shaperate. They are not, as many surface-folk believe, the written language of the modern dwarves, but rather are remnants of a lost language that predates Orzammar, the dwarven kingdom, and even the tens of thousands of years of history recorded in the Memories. The Shaperate recognizes the meanings of a few dozen dwarven runes. "Memory," obviously, is used for their record keeping. Many have not so much been translated as inferred. Runes which decorate both armor and load-bearing architecture might very well mean "Strength" or "Endurance." New symbols are unearthed now and then in the fallen thaigs, brought back by the Legion of the Dead and jealously hoarded by the Shapers who struggle to find their uses and origins. Were these symbols an earlier version of the written dwarven tongue? A language that fell into disuse, replaced by the modern King's Tongue? It is hard to guess, and the Memories offer us no wisdom.

—From In Pursuit of Knowledge: The Travels of A Chantry Scholar by Brother Genitivi

I proceed, avoiding as much combat as possible, but I don't see any way past these guys except through:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    At least not for the less sneaky types accompanying me.
    [​IMG]
    When the templar archer has been properly stabbed, I discover a nice present for Varric!
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the party seemed hellbent on coming in here, might as well see what the quest mark is...
    [​IMG]
    FUCK YOUUUUUUUUU
    [​IMG]
    Me, Cass, and this templar here are looking kinda like one of those cartoony balls of fight. Oh, and once the place is cleared (and doesn't just keep spawning, thank Bioware) I get the landmark, too.

Fort Connor was constructed by a young Arl Eamon after the Orlesians were driven from Ferelden. It was named in honor of Eamon's father, who died at the battle of West Hill—and after whom the arl named his son.

Eamon was determined for Redcliffe to stand as shining example of Fereldan strength. He constructed Fort Connor to watch the King's Highway and protect the Hinterlands against all enemies. It proved its fortitude against darkspawn during the Fifth Blight, suffering damage only when the darkspawn deployed emissaries. Eamon said proudly at the time that Fort Connor was "unbreakable by anything short of magic, and for that, thank the Maker we have templars."

—Excerpt from Living Redcliffe, by Sister Dorcas Guerrin

• Like x 2
  5. OnnaStik

Onward!
    [​IMG]
    Well, now I know where the Witchwood is. And I guess I'll fix this rift, too, since it's on our way... the demon-fighting is actually not terribly interesting this time around.
    [​IMG]
    Further along, I find a cabin I can't break into. Probably there's a quest that would have sent me here.
    [​IMG]
    Wasn't gonna get involved with templars vs. apostates and their mercs, but I thought maybe one of them would drop the key.
    [​IMG]
    They did not. I did get more of the Definitely Not Viking saga at a nearby landmark, tho.

Sixth stanza:

Tyrdda Bright-Axe, proud her tribe, free from fallow fat below,
    Built in battle, fed on fighting, strong from struggle did they grow.
    Deep in caves, the stone-men tribe, Hendir's warriors, stout and strong,
    Met the tribe with axes ready, armor gleaming, sword-blades long.
    Spoke with Tyrdda did her lover, gentle whispers soft she made,
    Dwarven hearts were sundered, simple, still with honor. Thus she bade:
    "Let the tribe the dwarf-men know,
    In their caves, where they belong,
    Not with battle but with trade,
    Hendir's dwarves, give peace unbreaking."
    Maybe I'd have the key if I'd gotten the quest first, but never mind that now. Horses first.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting decor.
    [​IMG]
    I hope that's not an ominous name...

• Like x 2
  6. OnnaStik

[​IMG]
    Well, no one's on fire, but there are these wolves. I'm guessing "Perceptive" means I can't sneak up on them.
    [​IMG]
    STABBITY
    [​IMG]
    Well, we're at least mentioning the absurd suicidal predator behavior this time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We pass by a buffalo-y thing literally yards from where the wolves were, totally unmenaced and placid. Evidence for the demon-wolf theory?

A little further on, an encampment of unfriendly people.
    [​IMG]
    We may be low on both health and potions, but we have the tactical camera!
    [​IMG]
    Are the Suspiciously Unshitty Bandits connected to the Suspiciously Shitty Bandits out east? Stay tuned!
    [​IMG]
    This nug died in someone's AoE. RIP, nug. :(

• Like x 2
  7. blue

blue hightown funk you up

DON'T FIGHT THE DRUFFALO, IT WILL KICK YOUR ASS

• Like x 1
  8. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

re:wolves
    you encounter the player character wandering through your lands. it fills you with DETERMINATION.

• Like x 4
  9. OnnaStik

[​IMG]
    Finally, the waypoint I set is in sight!
    [​IMG]
    And we're close to where the horsies are!
    [​IMG]
    First, gotta make camp, 'cause we're pretty battered.
    [​IMG]
    But then there's not much left between us and our goal!
    [​IMG]
    Another thing pinging my search, but it seems to be in the same house Dennet's probably in.
    [​IMG]
    Funny, "about time" was what I was thinking too.
    [​IMG]
    excuse u
    [​IMG]

>_?

• Like x 1
  10. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

>And you haven't helped?

(roast the asshole!)

11. OnnaStik

>And you haven't helped?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stop wandering around and making it hard for me to stay in the conversation!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...fair point.
    [​IMG]
    At this point, before I can select an answer, he gets out of whatever range the game considers to be "conversing". Fortunately, once I get closer and click on him, he basically just starts back from after the last input I gave, just as it was before, so nbd.

>Got a problem with me? (It had the ? icon)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Okay, but what does that have to do with me?
    [​IMG]
    see, there's this wonderful new invention called the "adjustable stirrup", maybe you've heard of it
    [​IMG]
    I guess that question auto-accepted, but I suspect we weren't actually going to tell him to fuck off anyway.

• Like x 1
  12. OnnaStik

[​IMG]
    Oooooooooh, does this mean I get my own Noble Steed already?
    [​IMG]
    I DO
    [​IMG]

Never seen a proud rider atop a regal mount? That's your failing. Such animals are common enough, but there're costs, so you keep them away from chance of blight, theft, attack. All the nonsense that makes for poor stabling. These aren't working beasts, with the fire bred out of their eyes so they can suffer a plow. These creatures are about spirit. A proper mount isn't some noble's plaything on a hunt, it's your everyday, and you'd better match it to deserve it.

On Horses

You've never had a mount like the Fereldan Forder, a hardy warmblood. Don't let the size fool you: they're no meant for the farm. Centuries of careful breeding have taken common stock and produced a glory. A creature as much at home in a charge as they are in a march across nations. But for all the stamina and speed they place at your command, press too far, and you'll be picking dirt from your teeth. They know their role and expect that you know yours. Warning and promise and all that.

Now, before I go claim my prize, I'll check out what the search was turning up...
    [​IMG]
    Once again, Wren's got a sixth sense for booze. And doesn't want to know about your seed-carving fetish.
    [​IMG]
    Also there's a book upstairs, and guess what someone's been reading?

By Varric Tethras

They say coin never sleeps, but anyone who’s walked the patrol of Hightown market at midnight might disagree. The pickpockets and confidence men head to the taverns at dusk, the dwarven businessmen and nobles go back to their tiny palaces to fret over the ways they got cheated, and the market falls silent.

Donnen Brennokovic knew every angle of the market with his eyes closed. Twenty years of patrols had etched it into him so that he walked that beat even in his dreams. The recruit, Jevlan, was another story. The ring of steel striking stone told Donnen that the kid had stumbled into a column again. His new armor would be full of dents by sunrise.

“Torches would make this easier.” The sound of Jevlan hauling himself off the pavement was like a tinker’s cart crashing.

“Torches make you night-blind. You’ll adjust.” Donnen crossed the square to help the kid to his feet. A breeze scurried across the plaza, sending the banners and pennants shivering and carrying an old, familiar scent. Donnen stopped in his tracks. “Something’s wrong.” His voice was low, warning. He peered into the dark, up at the mezzanine just above them. “Follow me. Be ready for trouble.”

The two guards climbed the dark stairs and there, in a puddle of shadow, found the body. Gold-trimmed satin glittered through the blood.

“Get the captain,” Donnen sighed. “We’ve got a dead magistrate.”

• Like x 1
  13. OnnaStik

Just outside, Elaina's in a vegetable garden.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ah. Definitely demons, then.
    [​IMG]

>Investigate >Wolves
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...Redcliffe people live weird lives.
    [​IMG]

14. OnnaStik

Over by the stable, someone else wants to talk to us. I think she's the farmers' daughter?
    [​IMG]
    I'm gonna omit the conversation I had with her, because then you guys are gonna want me to do her race and that'd be tricky with my framerate issues and maybe, maybe, I'll do it later. :P

Besides, what you guys really want to see is...
    [​IMG]
    MY STEED.
    [​IMG]
    Check out this noble asshole.
    [​IMG]
    From the side, while Wren pats his neck in adorable fashion!
    [​IMG]
    DRAMATIC REARING ACTION when you try to jump from a standing start!
    [​IMG]
    Okay fine I guess I shouldn't be trying to break into Dennet's buildings anyway. Let's just go see what the other guy wants...

• Like x 1
  15. OnnaStik

[​IMG]
    Reasonable.
    [​IMG]

>What do you want me to do? (Dammit, Jim, I'm a prophet not a construction worker!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Note: What we're actually doing is going to the spots and putting up "Build Here" markers for actual workers to act on. We are, indeed, not a construction worker.

• Like x 1
  16. OnnaStik

MAGIC HORSIE. He appears out of nowhere when I whistle for him!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And leaves little motion streaks when he gallops! Off to find the first location!
    [​IMG]
    Oh, are there demon wolves? TOO BAD YOU CAN'T CATCH ME
    [​IMG]
    Templars who seem to have had the same idea re: good lookout spots may be slightly more troublesome. Gotta dismount to fight. Wonder if I could fight mounted if I were an archer or a mage...
    [​IMG]
    STABBITY FREEZITY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Don't want to mount back up in the middle of a conversation. There's a quest mark on the other side of the road, guess I'll check that out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Point to Varric, I'd say.

• Like x 1
  17. OnnaStik

[​IMG]
    That'll be carta stuff, I'm sure. We'll worry about it later.
    [​IMG]
    gdi, I can't read the questy note from up here.
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing that's the druffalo that would've kicked our asses? Again, that's for later, gotta put up these markers now.
    [​IMG]
    As tall as these markers are, you'd think I'd be able to use them without having to get down.
    [​IMG]
    The way to the third location is back through the gully, and while there is very obviously enough clearance for me here, horns and all, the game won't let me go through mounted. :/
    [​IMG]
    Whatever, I get there soon enough anyway.

Now! To actually get the towers built, we have to go back to Haven, so there'll be a return trip to the Hinterlands regardless. And I've already got the Steed. What do you say to starting the operation now, then Val Royeaux, and we sort out the demon wolves whenever we come back to finalize? Or we could do the demon wolves now, but coming back later will still be necessary.

• Like x 2
  18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

let's sort the demon wolves out when we come back.
    Efficiency and all that junk

• Like x 1
  19. OnnaStik

Back to Haven we go, via the world map. We arrive right next to the blacksmith, so I figure I might as well check in. Haven quests and all.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...I ship it.

Anyway, the smith:
    [​IMG]
    What gave it away? The shiny armor? The fact that I'm the only one for miles with horns?
    [​IMG]

>_?

20. garden

garden lucid dreamer

>Quite well.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice