Kintsugi Plays Fallen Hero: Retribution (ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ …(^_^)…)

Discussion in 'It's Galley's Turn' started by keltena, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Nice try, officer, but that's on a need-to-know basis.

> "Do you?"

"Do you?" you ask, wondering what the extent is of her skills.

"That's not the biggest issue here." Lady Argent lets out a soft sigh, removing the Oryx helmet. It unclasps, and she shakes out her long silver hair, grimacing as if the plasteel skull had left marks on her face. "This is."

"This?" You search for any marks on her face; you know how you look after hours in your armor. Red skin. Pressure marks. Occasional chafing. She looks perfect; she doesn't even have helmet hair.

"Us. It's going to take time to make this machine work. Weeks, maybe more. I'm not going to let it leave my sight until then."

"Me neither."

"Why?" She tosses her hair back, helmet nonchalantly under her arm. "You already have dark secrets you can lord over me, you know what I did, my masquerade, breaking and entering…"

"Don't be stupid. I know the Rangers. You could explain that away with a hand wave. Infiltrating a villain hangout. Retrieving a piece of black tech. You wouldn't even get a slap on the wrist."

"And you? Am I supposed to trust someone hiding behind a mask?" Her voice is sharp as knives. "Someone who manipulates everything and everyone? I don't even know why you would want it?"

Fuck. You can feel her mind growing brittle, filled with spikes. She's thinking about attacking. She's thinking about how she can't lose this chance, how stupid she was to even think she could find something in common. She wants to trust because that would be the simplest way.

But she can't. Not like this.

You need to make a decision now before she does.

‣ I will shoot her with Dr. Mortum's gun.
     ‣ I will try to take her down with a mental attack.
     ‣ I'll let her assemble it. I can steal it back if she tries to keep it.
     ‣ I will show her my tattoos, why I need the machine.
     ‣ I will remove my helmet and tell her who I am.

Time-out is over. What's our play?

One option is to take it by force. Trying to 1v1 Argent in close quarters would be foolish, but we do have two hidden trump cards that could take her out before she knows what hit her. One is our telepathy, which we've overpowered her mind with once before; the other is Dr. Mortum's gun, which we know can instantly capture targets like a pokéball.

Another option is to let her have the machine and trust that if she double-crosses us, we can always steal it back.

Finally, we could try to gain her trust by coming clean about
    why we need the regenerator, or about who we are. We'd be taking a huge risk by trusting her with that information, of course; the question is whether it's worth the risk.

CLASSIFIED

Subject: Anathema

Secret Identity: Josie Jacobs
    Description: A tall mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short and styled curly dark brown hair.

Their sense of style is androgynous, secondhand streetwear, with many piercings in their ears, nose, and tongue. They have a short, scruffy beard and mustache.

Standard of Living: Josie is well-off.
    Josie is living in a comfortable apartment.

Josie Jacobs is a seasoned, tech-savvy tactician.

Physical Status
    Stamina: You are rested.
    Willpower: You feel calm.
    Injuries: You are fine, with no significant wounds.

Telepathy
    Strength of Mind: 50%
    ████████████████████
    Subtle Manipulations: 74%
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema
    Anathema runs a criminal syndicate. They are a known killer.
    Infamy: 51% / Obscurity: 49%
    ██████████▒█████████

Armored Suit
    Anathema's suit is a shadow with a mirror for a face, revealing nothing. The cape conceals and obfuscates what's underneath.
    In its left hand, the suit has a neutered colony of nanovores, functionally similar to having disintegration touch. The suit is also equipped with telepathic boosters and enhanced speed as well as jump-jets.

Armor Status
    Need Repair: 5% / Fine: 95%
    ███████████████████

Leadership: 63%
    ████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile
    Arrogance: 28% / Anonymity: 72%
    █████▒██████████████
    Ruthlessness: 40% / Empathy: 60%
    ████████████████████
    Daring: 59% / Caution: 41%
    ███████████▒████████

Back in the day, Sidestep was known as a vigilante working with the Rangers.

Main Puppet
    Name: Barbara
    Puppet Status: She is fine, and has no serious wounds.
    Description: A tall white woman in her twenties with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    Josie's Relationship with Ortega: Friend and ally.
    Ortega's Connection with Josie: 78%
    ███████████████▒████

Ortega thinks Anathema has made some good points.

Barbara's Relationship with Ortega: Eternally flirting. Josie is using Barbara as a spy.
    Ortega's Connection with Barbara: 63%
    ████████████▒███████

Dr. Mortum
    Barbara's Relationship with Dr. Mortum: friend.
    Mortum's Connection with Barbara: 66%
    █████████████▒██████

Lady Argent
    Josie's Relationship with Lady Argent: Distant.
    Lady Argent's Impression of Josie: 1%
    ███████████████████

Lady Argent respects Anathema's abilities.
    Lady Argent's Interest in Anathema: 60%
    ████████████████████

Marshal Steel
    Josie's Relationship with Steel: Friendly.
    Steel's Connection with Josie: 72%
    ██████████████▒█████

Marshal Steel thinks Anathema needs to be brought in.

Herald
    Josie's Relationship with Herald: He seems nice.
    Herald's Connection with Josie: 64%
    ████████████▒███████

Herald thinks Anathema is a villain.

Other Characters

2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Feeling very torn. I don't wanna give away Mortum's gun or our telepathy in what feels so early in the game still... But just letting her assemble it won't calm her down, given how quickly she's shifting to agitated. And I don't think I want Argent to be the first of the Rangers to know who exactly Anathema has been.

Tattoos by process of elimination? Give the Rangers a chance to know some Farm-trained are trying to escape that existence?

• Agree x 2
  3. keltena

> I will show her my tattoos, why I need the machine.

You feel sick. You can't believe you are even considering this. Trusting Lady Argent with this. Why you need it. What you are.

But it could work. She's not…she wouldn't…or would she? You haven't heard her joke about Re-Genes. Or talk about them. Would she care? You don't think she would. Would she understand?

Maybe. And that's a maybe you're willing to take a chance on.

"I'll show you," you mumble. "I'll show you why I need it."

She doesn't reply, but you can feel her tense as you slowly remove your glove. The right one, you're not losing your weapon. Not now. The armored glove slides off, letting you access the release for the plates covering your lower arm. Your fingers feel clumsy and numb as if this were happening in a dream. The released armor clatters to the ground, making you both jump.

Your arm looks like a shadow, so small compared to the rest of you, still covered in the skinsuit. Gritting your teeth, you peel off your glove and drop it to the ground as well. You flex your fingers, sweaty but nondescript. You need to reveal more.

It…is hard. It is so hard to roll up your sleeve. You haven't done this before. Is it easier to reveal the truth to an enemy?

‣ Maybe. It will hurt less if she judges me.
     ‣ I'm tired of hiding.
     ‣ She deserves to know what she's fighting.

CLASSIFIED

Description: A tall mixed person in their thirties with brown eyes and short and styled curly dark brown hair.

Their sense of style is androgynous, secondhand streetwear, with many piercings in their ears, nose, and tongue. They have a short, scruffy beard and mustache.

Physical Status

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema
    ██████████▒█████████

Armored Suit
    Anathema's suit is a shadow with a mirror for a face, revealing nothing. The cape conceals and obfuscates what's underneath.
    In its left hand, the suit has a neutered colony of nanovores, functionally similar to having disintegration touch. The suit is also equipped with telepathic boosters and enhanced speed as well as jump-jets.

Armor Status
    ███████████████████

████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile
    Arrogance: 35% (+7)
    / Anonymity: 65%
    ████████████████████
    ████████████████████
    Daring: 63% (+4) / Caution: 37%
    ████████████▒███████

Main Puppet
    Description: A tall white woman in her twenties with blue eyes and long straight blond hair.

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ███████████████▒████

Barbara's Relationship with Ortega: Eternally flirting. Josie is using Barbara as a spy.
    ████████████▒███████

Dr. Mortum
    █████████████▒██████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

████████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ██████████████▒█████

Herald
    ████████████▒███████

Other Characters

4. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

>she already hates us, what's one more reason? (#1)

• Agree x 1
  5. swirlingflight

Given the narration, "arrogance" is a funny stat to increase. I know it's more -7 anonymity, but lol

• Agree x 2
  6. keltena

Ha. Yeah, I've been in the habit of just listing personality stat changes as +X, but that one would have made more sense the other way around.

• Like x 1
  7. keltena

> Maybe. It will hurt less if she judges me.

Maybe it's easier to show it to Lady Argent. Your enemy. At least you'll be expecting scorn.

Your hand is shaking; you almost falter before the Rat King curls up around your mind, instinctively trying to protect you. But there's no outside enemy, not this time. Just your hidden fears and they can't protect you from that.

But they try.

You tug at your sleeve; it keeps clinging to your sweaty skin. The small hairs on the back of your arm stand on end. The scars are visible now, the ones you made yourself. The ones where you tried to remove them. Remove yourself. And then they are revealed. Brightly orange. Alien. Stamped into your skin, marking you for what you are not. Not human. Not a person. A tool. A thing.

And now a villain.

"I need them gone," you tell Lady Argent, willing your intensity to shine through. "I need to be real."

"Tattoos? But they look…" You don't look at her, but you can feel the cogs in her mind starting up.

"Look fake," you add for her. "Inhuman."

"But your skin is not blue?" she asks, the hesitation in her voice new. This wasn't what she expected. Good, that goes for both of you.

"Cuckoo," you say, focusing on her feet to see if she prepares to attack. Better than her face. "Infiltration unit. Looking normal at a glance. Until you strip them down." Her mind is quiet, not broadcasting enough to make her feelings known, and you don't want to dig.

You don't want to know.

"Huh." She doesn't sound amused. She doesn't sound horrified. She sounds as if she's reevaluating the situation. "So you want them gone."

"I need them gone." You stress the word hard as you look down at your revealed arm. "I'm not going to be a thing anymore."

"So you became a villain."

"There are worse choices." It's hard, but you finally look up at her. At her furrowed brow. Unreadable, even her thoughts are in turmoil. "At least I'm making my own bad decisions now."

"I can respect that." She sighs, her hands twitching slightly. "Wanting a clean slate."

"I told you because I thought you might understand." You take a step forward.

"That doesn't mean I trust you." She holds her ground with a snarl. "Not more than you trust me."

"I swear that you'll have full access to the machine. This is for both of us." You hold out your hand. Your bare hand. She stares at it. "On my honor."

"I could kill you," she says, reaching out to take your hand.

"You could try." Her hand is covered in Oryx's glove, but her claws have made holes in it. You feel naked. Exposed. She doesn't stare at your markings. Just at you.

"Fine. Put it together. Let me know." She pulls back her hand and turns away, a little too quickly, as if her feelings had suddenly gotten too intense. You can feel them. Like a punch in the gut.

She's willing to take this chance for you.

She disappears into the darkness before you can thank her, leaving you alone to put your armor back on. Your hands are still shaking, but this time it is from relief. She let you have it. She trusts you. You can do this.

Looking around, you start to drag the machine down the tunnel. The dolly cart makes it neither easy nor graceful, but there's nobody around to laugh.

You made it.

• Winner x 2
  8. keltena

> All You Feel Is Relief

You have no idea how long it took you to make it back to Rosie waiting in the van and then to your base.

The long way around took some time, but it also meant you could make sure nobody was following you. Maybe you're paranoid, but you're not going to take any risks now. You got the regeneration machine, that's the important thing. You can decide what to do with it in the morning. Hopefully, the rest of your team are okay as well. They should be. Dr. Mortum had better be grateful for her gun.

Once you make sure the perimeter of your base is secure and stash your loot, you stumble into your bathroom to clean up.

It's broken and worn, and it smells of disinfectant. You've not bothered to make it look nice, but you are too conscious of the risk of infection to be careless. Bleach cures everything.

You need to get some rest. A lot has happened, but you need to sleep, as annoying as that sounds.

Cleaning yourself off, you can't help but smirk at the fact that you pulled this off without getting hurt.

You did well.

As you drag your tired body to bed, you are already planning for tomorrow.

A fresh body.

A fresh start.

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema
    ██████████▒█████████

Armored Suit

Armor Status
    ███████████████████

████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile
    Arrogance: 35% / Anonymity: 65%
    ████████████████████
    ████████████████████
    Daring: 63% / Caution: 37%
    ████████████▒███████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ███████████████▒████

████████████▒███████

Dr. Mortum
    █████████████▒██████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

████████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ██████████████▒█████

Herald
    ████████████▒███████

Other Characters

We have the regenerator. We have the gun. In and out without a scratch on us… if not exactly without a hitch.

All in a day's work.

Next time: We've got a delivery to make.

9. keltena

Over the next few days, you have a lot of work to do and decisions to make.

Being a villain is more than just committing crimes; it's also dealing with the aftermath. Checking what the media is saying about your exploits, what leaks out into the underworld.

Information is important, as is image.

Yours could do with some polish, but it takes more than high-profile crimes to reach the headlines.

If you even want to end up there.

And then there is the issue of Dr. Mortum….

You have the prototype regenerator and the documentation, but you need to finish the job to make it usable. Dr. Mortum is the obvious solution. That is unless you decide to put in the work yourself. Could you? It depends on how complete it is; you need some time going over the details before you can be sure. A few days? Weeks? It won't be fast, that you know. You need to hurry, not just for your own sake. You doubt Lady Argent will be patient. She doesn't strike you as the type.

‣ I'm going to need Dr. Mortum's help with this.
     ‣ I will do my best to assemble it myself.

Okay, now we have the time to think it over without Argent breathing down our neck. What's our plan to get this thing working?

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema
    ██████████▒█████████

Armored Suit

Armor Status
    ███████████████████

████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile
    ████████████████████
    ████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ███████████████▒████

████████████▒███████

Dr. Mortum
    █████████████▒██████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

████████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ██████████████▒█████

Herald
    ████████████▒███████

Other Characters

10. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I really don't think the souped-up Laser Tattoo Removal is something we want an amateur working on ._. what if we fuck it up and flay ourselves. or cause cancer, given it's a regenerator. please get our favorite mad scientist on the line.

• Agree x 1
  11. swirlingflight

It's like a trust fall exercise except who knows yet if we're telling Mortum about our situation or Argent's involvement *or* telling Argent where we got our tech assist. It's fine!

But yeah let's not goo ourselves.

Or get so frustrated working on the machine that the rat king :) eats it or something

• Agree x 1
  12. keltena

Fun fact: Word of God says all boosts are at increased risk of cancer! Let's not add to that.

> I'm going to need Dr. Mortum's help with this.

You're going to need Dr. Mortum's help with this. Hopefully, she'll be up for the challenge. You've already made copies, so at least it shouldn't be a risk to let her have a look at the documentation.

You need to make an appointment to hand over the gun to the good doctor. She would probably appreciate it delivered sooner rather than later.

This wasn't expected to be a lasting association; that's why you used Barbara. Safely anonymous, get what you want, and then walk away. It should have been easy, and instead, you've found yourself acting out this little charade. Getting close. Liking it. So far, she has not suspected anything, but can you really keep this up forever? Maybe you should try to explain. Even if you don't tell her the whole truth, maybe you can make a start? Maybe it's worth the risk to meet so you can establish a relationship in your real body, as Barbara's boss.

‣ Barbara will deliver the gun, as always.
     ‣ I will meet with Dr. Mortum in person.
     ‣ I'll meet her as Barbara and tell the truth.

And then there's the elephant in the room. Dr. Mortum has been friends with Barbie for close to a year now. She's had a business relationship with Anathema for even longer, but—as far as she knows—has never spoken directly to them. Is that how we prefer it? Or is it time we introduced Mortum to Josie… and/or maybe even told her the truth?

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema
    ██████████▒█████████

Armored Suit

Armor Status
    ███████████████████

████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile
    ████████████████████
    ████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ███████████████▒████

████████████▒███████

Dr. Mortum
    █████████████▒██████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

████████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ██████████████▒█████

Herald
    ████████████▒███████

Other Characters

13. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I vote for Barbie delivers the gun, as always. like, telling the truth? couldn't be us

• Agree x 2
  14. swirlingflight

Let's see how Mortum feels about us after the delivery at least before making any unnecessary impulsive admissions

• Agree x 2
  15. keltena

We just revealed a deep dark secret last chapter! Surely we can't spare another already?

> Barbara will deliver the gun, as always.

There's no need to change a good system. Barbara is there for things like this.

Better to remain anonymous.

Sometimes you wonder how long you will be able to keep going. Slipping between bodies has become more than a tool; it has become a way of life. Necessary. Running two lives, two bodies, dodging sleep and responsibilities in equal measure.

There has never been time to stop and breathe. To consider your options. You are puppeteering a brain-dead body that would be a corpse if you hadn't interfered. How are you supposed to deal with that? Did you do a good thing? A bad one? You wish you had an answer, but you don't, and honestly? It's irrelevant. You have no choice. Barbara was necessary, is necessary, and maybe things might change eventually, but for now?

For now, you wrap her flesh around you, accepting the sacrifice of your telepathy for the safety of her unmarked body.

> Breathe In, Then Out

Your fingers know Dr. Mortum's number by heart, and you tap it in, body wrapped in towels, still steaming from the shower.

One signal, then two, then three. Finally, there is a click and a soft, "Mon amie?" Her voice is sleepy, and you quickly check the time. Not too early, she must just have had a late night. Sometimes you forget other people sleep.

"Sorry for waking you," you say, taking note of how your voice changes when you speak to her. Even with all the masks that Barbara wears, Dr. Mortum still gets special treatment. A side of you that you rarely show.

"It's fine." You can hear the stifled yawn on the other end, her voice gaining a semblance of wakefulness. "What's the matter?"

"Thought you might like to get your hands on the thing you had my boss nab."

"You thought right," and she immediately sounds more enthused. Adrenaline does wonders. "I was wondering how long they were going to drag this out."

"It's a busy life, being a villain." You can't help but chuckle. "They wouldn't pull a fast one on you. I made a promise, remember?"

"Seeing is believing," she chides. "Are you ready to make the drop?"

"I am. But it sounds like I should give you an hour or two to get your head in shape."

"There's nothing wrong with me that a pot of coffee won't fix."

"Then get on that, and I'll see you in a few hours." You smile as you hang up the phone. There's nothing quite as satisfying as crossing things off a list because that means you are one step closer to your goal. Hopefully by the time she's got her hands on her property she'll be in a good mood. That's the time to bring up the new job you want her to do: assembling the machine that holds the key to your future.

• Like x 1
  16. keltena

> An Hour Or So Later

It's just another meeting, to hand over Dr. Mortum's gun, to ask for help to assemble the regenerator, there's no need to be nervous. And yet your palms are clammy, and your stomach is cramping up. You're not sure why, but you're picking up on something…but what? Is it just paranoia and anxiety? That usually leaves you alone in this body, a specter haunting your own marked flesh.

Dr. Mortum notices your nervousness immediately as she lets you into the lab, but thankfully she doesn't ask.

You're quietly grateful for that.

The hug tastes far too much of unspoken emotions, but you have a hard time reading what they are.

"Is everything alright, mon amie?"

"I got your gun, just like I promised." You hold out the briefcase, and she takes a second to scan it, just in case.

"I was wondering if your boss had put you up to something," she admits with a thin smile. "But it looks like it is what you claim it is."

"Of course. My boss would never go back on their word," you lie, but it's a useful illusion to spread. You know all too well that in the end, promises and honor matter exactly zilch in the grand scheme of things. Yours or others.

"Put it on the table, please."

You do as she asks, and take a step back to let her run her hands over the surface of the table, inches away, the hint of letters showing in her glasses. It's always disconcerting how much of her lab is hands-free, but you suppose it makes for easier cleaning.

The briefcase clicks open, and Dr. Mortum takes the gun, caressing it with a familiar reverence. Technology is always the easiest way to get that soft smile to appear on her face, a tenderness you wonder if she expresses for anything else.

"Thank you," she says, putting it back in the briefcase for now. "This means more to me than you know."

"Good, I'm going to need your help. Or rather, my boss will."

"With what?"

"There is an item my boss is going to need help building." Business first, that's always the easiest way to go. "One I think you'll find fascinating."

"Do go on." Dr. Mortum cocks her head, her interest caught.

"I have plans…." You place the small briefcase on the table, opening it, before carefully pushing it over to her. "There is also an unfinished prototype, but that one is heavy enough that we need to arrange for safe shipping."

"Give me a few minutes, mon amie, there's a lot here to read." She's already leafing through the papers.

"A few minutes?" You raise one, doubting eyebrow, but she is already engrossed.

It's one of her most endearing and annoying habits. The ability to focus on something to the exclusion of everything else. You find a chair and make yourself comfortable, listening to her muttering as she connects the dots, face changing from focus to excitement.

Hooked. You can see that. Whatever money you offer will be nice and needed, but the interest is there, so you doubt she'll say no.

"Well, now, this is fascinating," she finally says, an almost predatory grin on her face.

"My boss needs a working prototype."

"I can't make any promises. This is…this is out there." A chuckle. "But what a fascinating prospect. I didn't even think anybody had continued Dr. Vedard's research…."

"What?" you ask before realizing that you might be setting yourself up for an hour or two of explanations. "Never mind. I'll let you read through it all before I bother you about the details. How long do you think it will take? And how much will you charge?"

"Down to business, as always." Dr. Mortum nods. "I can't give you a timetable yet; I need to examine this in more detail. As for the price…"

"My boss is willing to pay whatever you deem fair." You cross your arms, trying not to look too personally affected. "You know that."

"I do," she admits. "I'll let you know as soon as I have an estimation of the time and materials involved."

"I'll make sure you can pick up the prototype as soon as possible."

"I'm not going to lie, that's going to be a great help."

"We have a deal then?" You let your smile go soft as you hold out your hand.

"Was there ever any doubt?" Her handshake is warm and enthusiastic.

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema
    ██████████▒█████████

Armored Suit

Armor Status
    ███████████████████

████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile
    Arrogance: 34% / Anonymity: 66% (+1)
    ██████▒█████████████
    ████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ███████████████▒████

████████████▒███████

Dr. Mortum
    █████████████▒██████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

████████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ██████████████▒█████

Herald
    ████████████▒███████

Other Characters

• Like x 1
  17. keltena

> A Day Or Two Later

This feels like touching a stove with your eyes closed. Is it hot? Is it cold? You won't know until you commit, hoping you'll feel the heat soon enough to pull away before you get burned.

The fact that something occurred at the Boulevard Casino has been playing over the news since it happened, and you've grown tired of hearing the various takes by now. It's all speculation and muddled witness accounts, and the media has done their best to spin a story from it.

So far, nobody has connected the dots.

You can't help but wonder what the Rangers make of it. They must have access to information the media doesn't. Would Lady Argent tell them anything? You don't see how she could, not without revealing that she was posing as Oryx, but on the other hand, you can see five ways to spin that to her own advantage. The question is how sensitive this is to her…she's playing her own game, with cards as close to her chest as yours are to your own.

You need to get in contact with her eventually. You agreed to share the regenerator, so if you want to be on her good side, you know you have to keep her in the loop.

She won't know that you're Anathema, but if she's in a place where she feels safe, you could pick up her surface thoughts.

Your phone buzzes again, and you stifle a groan. You don't even have to look to know who it is. Ortega. She's been texting you since the auction. Just to check in. Just to know you're alright. Just to talk.

Like she's entitled to your conversation. To your attention.

You've been avoiding answering so far, you don't want her to get into the habit of expecting you to jump at her command, but you can't put it off forever.

Same with Herald. You've got another session scheduled soon.

Too many things to do. Too many tasks to focus on. You suppress a groan and drag yourself to your feet. You can't sit around and think any longer. Time to get some things done.

‣ I will visit the Rangers, things to do, people to meet.
     ‣ I will play it safe and stay away from them.

With all the fuss about the auction, it has been a while since Josie touched base with their hero friends. Is it time we paid them a visit?

CLASSIFIED

Physical Status

Telepathy
    ████████████████████
    ██████████████▒█████

Anathema
    ██████████▒█████████

Armored Suit

Armor Status
    ███████████████████

████████████▒███████

Psychological Profile
    Arrogance: 34% / Anonymity: 66%
    ██████▒█████████████
    ████████████████████
    ████████████▒███████

Main Puppet

Allies and Enemies

Charge
    ███████████████▒████

████████████▒███████

Dr. Mortum
    █████████████▒██████

Lady Argent
    ███████████████████

████████████████████

Marshal Steel
    ██████████████▒█████

Herald
    ████████████▒███████

Other Characters

18. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Dangit, Josie, I want the explanations!

• Agree x 3
  19. keltena

aren't they just the worst sometimes!!

20. swirlingflight

I appreciate that parade of "just" to minimize the definitely not suspicious timing there

But, as much as we're too busy, this is probably Not the time to obviously change our habits - unless we have an excuse to offer them all that this question doesn't hint at?

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice